New Concept for "Digital Paper"

By YelM3 in MLP
Thu Mar 29, 2001 at 12:48:37 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

This month's issue of Wired magazine has an interesting article on a new company, Anoto, and their plans to roll out their idea of the long-hyped but so far yet-to-be-seen "digital paper."

The interesting part is, their paper is an input device, not output - as many other digital paper prototypes have been. If Anoto succeeds, many of the same things you write on daily will soon be as easy to digitize as it is to put a check in a box.

The article is well-written (if a bit long) and provides both good background and some technical details. This technology is cooler than it probably appears at first glance: this isn't the digital paper you were thinking of.

After reading the article, I think...
o ...this is a great idea , I'm buying stock! 17%
o ...there is potential, but it will never work in the real world. 3%
o ...I would give it a chance. 48%
o ...this is a useless gimmick and I wouldn't use it anyway. 24%
o ...Bluetooth sucks! 6%

o Wired
o interestin g article
o Anoto
o Also by YelM3

New Concept for "Digital Paper" | 7 comments (5 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
This is old news. (1.00 / 1) (#3)
by Pedro Picasso on Thu Mar 29, 2001 at 10:21:54 AM EST

Bring on the digital toilet paper!
-the Pedro Picasso

Cult of the Flaky Hardware
[ (sourceCode == freeSpeech) | kakkune.com ]
They might have a chance (3.00 / 1) (#4)
by retinaburn on Thu Mar 29, 2001 at 10:54:16 AM EST

The most interesting thing that I read was they aren't hedging all their bets on bluetooth. Most companies with a great idea either have to create all the infrastructure themselves or hinge on one or more technologies, or even worse make it compatible with multiple formats. These guys recognize that bluetooth may not pan out and are more than willing to switch to something else at a later date. Someone is definitley learning from earlier mistakes.

I think that we are a young species that often fucks with things we don't know how to unfuck. -- Tycho

Recall is the problem (3.00 / 1) (#5)
by gauntlet on Thu Mar 29, 2001 at 12:33:40 PM EST

There is an issue with this technology. Paper is still not good for the environment. I'm going to prefer writing with erasable ink onto a pocket-sized whiteboard to writing onto a stack of paper I have to haul around with me. And if I'm not using real ink on real paper, I have no ability to recall what I wrote, unless I'm at a computer.

I really think this technology belongs in the paper, because a pen can store information, but it can give it back to you by itself. Imagine a notepad that once you write something in it, you have to go home before you can read it.

I was more interested when I thought they had paper as the re-usable storage means, not the pen.

I think their big market will be in adding this technology to the stylus of existing PDAs. Having it use ink should be optional.

Into Canadian Politics?

Paper is not bad (none / 0) (#7)
by itsbruce on Fri Apr 06, 2001 at 12:17:33 PM EST

Paper is not bad for the environment. It is a biodegradable, recyclable material produced from renewable resources. Some of the substances used in it's construction are polluting but those issues are being addressed (i.e. switch from bleach to enzymes).

Plastic, otoh, is not recyclable, doesn't biodegrade, is produced from fossil fuels and almost all the stages in it's production are polluting. Each of those whiteboards represents a future addition to the ever-increasing global pile of permanent scrap.

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that his head smells.
Major privacy issues (none / 0) (#6)
by itsbruce on Fri Apr 06, 2001 at 12:02:12 PM EST

All the work is done on their server. So your uniquely identified data is sent accross the net to them. They know exactly what you write and what you write it on - not to mention that you don't know the significance of the data encoded into the paper. Somebody hands you a lip of paper and says "sign this" - how do you know what's being logged where? You don't. If you use the pen for general work - as you might well - you might be writing on their special paper without knowing it.

I will not be using this pen.

New Concept for "Digital Paper" | 7 comments (5 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)