K5 hits the bigtime?

By theR in MLP
Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 05:35:30 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Many people might be aware of the parodies that BBSpot has created to poke fun, such as Stiledot, the Slashdot story generator and AOLTechnica. Now it appears that kuro5hin has drawn enough attention that it may have hit the bigtime.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

What do you think of BBSpot.?
o I've never seen it and didn't look. 9%
o Not funny. 3%
o Sometimes funny. 30%
o Always funny. 14%
o Hilarious. 16%
o I can't type while laughing coffee out through my nose. 25%

o Slashdot
o Kuro5hin
o BBSpot
o Stiledot
o the Slashdot story generator
o AOLTechnic a
o it may have hit the bigtime
o Also by theR

K5 hits the bigtime? | 26 comments (24 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
perfect (4.11 / 9) (#1)
by Seumas on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 03:00:04 PM EST

Wow. They even got the whiney and elitist comments right!
I just read K5 for the articles.
but... (4.00 / 1) (#6)
by j on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 03:21:51 PM EST

...it's way too US centric!

But seriously. (3.42 / 7) (#3)
by Defect on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 03:10:09 PM EST

that submission on bbspot should really have been a diary entry.
defect - jso - joseth || a link
yeah but (5.00 / 6) (#4)
by Seumas on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 03:11:04 PM EST

Yeah, but your comment should have been an Editorial. ;)
I just read K5 for the articles.
Heehee. (4.00 / 1) (#7)
by Jin Wicked on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 03:52:47 PM EST

<Homer Simpson> It's funny because it's true! </Homer Simpson>

This post was probably not written by the real Jin Wicked. Please see user "butter pie" for Jin's actual posts.

hahaha (5.00 / 2) (#8)
by Estanislao Martínez on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 03:54:26 PM EST

Oh and America is more than just the United States. Get a clue.
*ROAR*

I'm pleased to know that this has by now entered the tech weblog culture.... hehehe

--em

does that mean... (5.00 / 1) (#9)
by Seumas on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 04:06:47 PM EST

I wonder if that means that when other countries rant on "America" and "Americans", we should be sharing the blame and flamage with the South Americans and Canadians...
I just read K5 for the articles.
You are doing it again! (5.00 / 1) (#15)
by Philipp on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 05:32:11 PM EST

Hello? How about the Central Americans and Caribians? How can you be so insensitive?

alias kn 'killall -9 netscape-communicator'
US is not America!!! (5.00 / 1) (#16)
by Zarniwoop on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 05:42:43 PM EST

Now if they had only used the phrase 'USian'!

Already on /. (4.75 / 8) (#10)
by rusty on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 04:11:11 PM EST

BBSpot already did several parodies of Slashdot. I do not think we should post stories about sites that have been connected in any way to THAT OTHER SITE. This includes having been linked to by slashdot, having had slashdot link to them, having ever mentioned slashdot in any form (including having used the characters "/" and/or "." anywhere in the site). We are not THAT OTHER SITE, and we should strive to build a firm and inviolate wall between ourselves and them.

I heard rusty and CmdrTaco had a fistfight at LWE, anyway. rusty would've won, but Hemos waded in with the Mace, and Inoshiro was too drunk on Kahlua to help out. It's up to us to prevent the world from finding out that that EVIL site exists at all!

____
Not the real rusty

I have to disagree on that one (none / 0) (#24)
by Quark on Tue Mar 06, 2001 at 01:44:26 PM EST

I configured "that other site's" front page to contain links to PvP, UF, and the other comics I read regularly. So in this case, it's definitely linking to something useful...

So much bandwidth, so little time...
Improve the writeup! (4.00 / 4) (#11)
by YesNoCancel on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 04:34:20 PM EST

Resubmit with a longer writeup (5+ pages) and an accompanying thorough analysis and I might vote it up.

[+1 FP]

I didn't find my username on it (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by weirdling on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 04:43:45 PM EST

I was wondering if anyone else did? I think they made them all up, but it would be interesting to know if they used some of what they perceive the more vocal are...

I'm not doing this again; last time no one believed it.
Disclaimer (5.00 / 2) (#13)
by briggsb on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 05:22:35 PM EST

Any resemblance to real usernames, living, dead, or undead is purely coincidental.

Except for... (5.00 / 1) (#17)
by whatnotever on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 06:17:59 PM EST

...the link to *your* diary.

Actually no... (5.00 / 1) (#19)
by briggsb on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 06:34:50 PM EST

Somebody (not me) created that id after the story. The gisano username didn't exist before I posted the story. I guess I should have.

No, *your* diary. (none / 0) (#20)
by whatnotever on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 07:44:29 PM EST

In the sidebar on the right hand side of the spoof page is a link to briggsb's diary...

D'oh! (none / 0) (#21)
by briggsb on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 07:52:40 PM EST

I thought you were talking about this one.

Excuse me? (3.66 / 3) (#14)
by Zarniwoop on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 05:31:28 PM EST

This topic is waaaay to K5-Centric for me.

;)

I want a job at BBSpot (2.66 / 3) (#18)
by mami on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 06:19:28 PM EST

:-)

Heh (none / 0) (#22)
by Elendale on Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 10:54:45 PM EST

Its so true...
So true.

At least they can't make a random story generator yet... Probably shouldn't be too hard but it hasn't been done yet :)

-Elendale

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

So obvious that it's a fake (none / 0) (#23)
by a humble lich on Tue Mar 06, 2001 at 01:02:23 PM EST

I mean there isn't a single reference to the k5 community in there.

And doesn't this belong in meta.

I like it! (none / 0) (#25)
by RavenDuck on Tue Mar 06, 2001 at 09:19:26 PM EST

That was a pisser - absolutely spot on.

For murder, though it have no tongue, will speak
With most miraculous organ.
One detail missing... (4.00 / 1) (#26)
by shirobara on Tue Mar 06, 2001 at 10:36:01 PM EST

No one called the poster a troll who was:

1. really using the k5 community as the basis for some sort of twisted experiment
  2. obviously a /. troll, bringing his or her little act over to pollute k5
  3. really, really Anne Marie, trying a different tack...
  4. such a complete troll! Why can't anyone else realize this guy is a troll?!?!?!

K5 hits the bigtime? | 26 comments (24 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)