Linus Lashes Out

By shoeboy in MLP
Sun Apr 01, 2001 at 04:24:25 PM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

Looks like Linus Torvalds has finally snapped under the pressure of being the leading figure in of the Open Source movement. Check out this message he sent to the linux-kernel mailing list.
I have to say he's correct in all assertions, but I think he could have been more diplomatic about them.
Needless to say, this has generated some interesting discussions on the list.

o this message
o Also by shoeboy

Linus Lashes Out | 43 comments (23 topical, 20 editorial, 1 hidden)
Arrogant Gas Baron (3.00 / 1) (#4)
by rebelcool on Sun Apr 01, 2001 at 02:00:24 PM EST

ha! Thats the funniest thing ive heard all day.

COG. Build your own community. Free, easy, powerful. Demo site

funniest thing is (4.00 / 1) (#29)
by jovlinger on Tue Apr 03, 2001 at 03:22:54 PM EST

...is that I was cheering him on in the beginning, when he was bashing (pun!) perl, then he started up on the guts and...

well, you just have to draw the line somewhere, and there's no defending making fun of a man's gut,

I have to agree (none / 0) (#33)
by shoeboy on Wed Apr 04, 2001 at 01:09:14 PM EST

If there was one change I'd make, it'd be to replace the gut comment. Having the most offensive comment in the first third is a real weakness. It'd be different if I'd topped it, but I didn't.

--Shoeboy
No more trolls!
As April fools jokes go (3.00 / 1) (#5)
by Zeram on Sun Apr 01, 2001 at 02:06:41 PM EST

This one is pretty damn good!

<----^---->
Like Anime? In the Philly metro area? Welcome to the machine...
Oh my god. (4.50 / 2) (#7)
by Seumas on Sun Apr 01, 2001 at 03:37:28 PM EST

I hate April Fool's day, but this is the first April Fool's "prank" I have ever thoroughly enjoyed in years. There's so much great material to quote in that post, such as:

*BSD users (and developers) are all complete jackasses, so you'll fit right in.

or

Until then, I will be rejecting patches from anyone whose grooming standards do not measure up.

The ironic thing is that while it is an April Fool's gag, it does make so many valid points!
I just read K5 for the articles.

Next year . . . (4.50 / 2) (#8)
by Seumas on Sun Apr 01, 2001 at 03:40:08 PM EST

How will Linus top himself next year? One can only guess, but I sure hope it involves confessing his less than natural desires for the companionship of penguins. ;)
I just read K5 for the articles.
I think Linus is drunk. (3.50 / 2) (#13)
by Holloway on Sun Apr 01, 2001 at 07:31:56 PM EST

If he had put it in the humour section it would have incredibly less humourous. +1, FP.

It's like a moderating a post on slashdot that sez, "cmdrtaco's here sucking off jon katz" as `Insightful`.

I mean calling humour "humour"? Are you all serious?

== Human's wear pants, if they don't wear pants they stand out in a crowd. But if a monkey didn't wear pants it would be anonymous

This is not Linus (5.00 / 1) (#14)
by DaSyonic on Sun Apr 01, 2001 at 08:07:51 PM EST

This *might* be funny if it was written by Linus, but lets see, its using a dialup in washington using outlook express full of ^O's and long lines. They could of at least put effort into it to actually try and forge something.

Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.
James Brents
A short poem (5.00 / 2) (#15)
by shoeboy on Sun Apr 01, 2001 at 09:08:53 PM EST

I used outlook, not outlook express.
Which made it more funny, not less.
--Shoeboy

No more trolls!
Ha! (5.00 / 1) (#19)
by slaytanic killer on Mon Apr 02, 2001 at 05:53:50 AM EST

How vilely doth this cynic rhyme!

Heh (4.00 / 1) (#30)
by DJBongHit on Tue Apr 03, 2001 at 04:19:32 PM EST

Decent troll, but not great. It was definitely funny, but it was too obviously a troll - it would've been funnier if he had made it more subtle.

On a related note, this is why I sign all my emails with GPG :P

~DJBongHit

GNU GPL: Free as in herpes.

Did y'all notice this bit at the end? (4.75 / 4) (#31)
by Ray Chason on Wed Apr 04, 2001 at 04:28:15 AM EST

"Also, I have submitted this to slashdot with the title 'A Proposed Remedy Involving Lingering Fud and Organizational Objections to Linux Systems.' Be on the lookout for it."
The War on Terra is not meant to be won.
Delendae sunt RIAA, MPAA et Windoze
Heh (5.00 / 1) (#32)
by shoeboy on Wed Apr 04, 2001 at 12:54:44 PM EST

Yeah, nobody had pointed that out yet. The painful thing is that /. rejected it.

Considering all the other crap they posted on the first, I can only assume that they don't like Linus.

--Shoeboy
No more trolls!
Umm.... (5.00 / 3) (#34)
by Captain_Tenille on Thu May 10, 2001 at 06:02:24 PM EST

Why is this back at the top of the MLP section? This was posted over a month ago.
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

And the link's now wrong. (5.00 / 1) (#35)
by static on Thu May 10, 2001 at 07:48:37 PM EST

It doesn't point to Linus' message anymore.

Wade.

WTF? (4.00 / 1) (#36)
by MrSmithers on Thu May 10, 2001 at 08:04:33 PM EST

Is K5 suffering from the May 10th, 2001 date bug...?

Or is this just the result of some SQL gone horribly wrong? :)

May Fools! (4.75 / 4) (#37)
by Tsuraan on Thu May 10, 2001 at 10:08:14 PM EST

Maybe this is the start of a new hallmark holiday... May tenth is officially May Fools day; the cards are in the presses.

WTF (5.00 / 3) (#38)
by retinaburn on Thu May 10, 2001 at 10:25:34 PM EST

Ok who was messing with the DB. I love a story with a post date of may 10th and comments starting on april 1st.

Perhaps the K5 cabal let loose the story from a hidden queue...if they existed that is.

I think that we are a young species that often fucks with things we don't know how to unfuck. -- Tycho

Hrmmm. (3.00 / 1) (#40)
by Anonymous 6522 on Thu May 10, 2001 at 10:45:56 PM EST

Did Linus change his name to Ben Greear?

Just a thought (1.00 / 1) (#41)
by raz on Fri May 11, 2001 at 04:37:25 AM EST

May it be that you were drunk or something so you got some wrong message. I have to say: This message was not written by Linus or is he Ben whoever? So please, if you have anything against Linus, talk to him personally. Thanks.

Correct link (4.66 / 3) (#42)
by dabadab on Fri May 11, 2001 at 05:32:16 AM EST

Check here

The moral of the story is that you should not rely on links like "this_week" :)
Real life is overrated.

Old stuff. (2.50 / 2) (#43)
by jd on Fri May 11, 2001 at 08:44:03 AM EST

This has done the rounds so many times, the rounds have fallen over and died of old age.

On the other hand, the poster summed up ESR pretty well. :)

Linus Lashes Out | 43 comments (23 topical, 20 editorial, 1 hidden)