Novell server finally found

By Sheepdot in MLP
Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 04:49:29 AM EST
Tags: Humour (all tags)
Humour

For those us who have worked in system support at large universities, it is no suprise that the University of North Carolina had lost track of one of its servers. What no one would expect is where they would end up finding it. This adds new meaning to the term, "fire*wall*".

Where is the oddest location you've seen a server in?
o Lab 12%
o Restroom 28%
o McDonald's 12%
o Closet 24%
o Inoshiro's House 16%
o Other (Please Specify) 8%

o where they would end up finding it
o Also by Sheepdot

Novell server finally found | 12 comments (12 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Possibly an urban Myth. (none / 0) (#1)
by argent on Tue Apr 10, 2001 at 12:31:51 PM EST

I'm thinking this might fall into an urban myth catagory. I seem to remember my boss telling this same story to some customers except it was an AS/400, not a novell box that was sealed up.
cd /pub more Beer
NOT an urban myth. (4.00 / 1) (#6)
by WulfiusKhan on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 01:09:57 AM EST

I can understand why in the age of Micro$oft generated crap the tales of stable servers are being considered to be ULs. At present I have 5NT servers which the vendor advises to bounce fortnightly as 'a precaution'. When I was an Admin at a large colledge (22K users) we had novell servers that only went down when power was tested (once every year). We had UPS. On the other hand, it was routine to reboot M$. A novell server running for 100-200 days is routine rather than abonormal.
--- Remember, you are unique. Just like everybody else.
Hold your horses... (none / 0) (#9)
by argent on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 12:48:19 PM EST

I wasn't saying a server with an unusually long uptime was a UL. (Just to let you know, as I look at it right now, our Novell 4.11 server has a 479 day uptime) I'm saying that I've heard this type of story, a server boarded up behind a wall, but working fine, from my boss when he told it to a customer. He said it was an AS/400. This was easily a year ago when I heard him spin this tale. I'm saying that this sounds like an UL. Not the unusally long uptime. argent
cd /pub more Beer
I Remember Hearing A Similar Story Too (none / 0) (#2)
by Captain_Tenille on Tue Apr 10, 2001 at 02:45:08 PM EST

But that time, it was about an OS/2 server hiding in an ultra secure room at Boeing for 5 years, happily serving away, until someone decided to see what was in this room that nobody had ever been in.
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

Novell (4.25 / 4) (#3)
by zephiros on Tue Apr 10, 2001 at 06:24:51 PM EST

While I can't speak to the veracity of this story, I can relate my own.

Back in '97, I was handed a work order for a small hospital in a tiny, rural West Texas town. They had a Novell server that was installed back in '94, and they had finally run out of drive space, so they wanted to add another drive to the system.

The box had been running without pause since it was installed, and thus had a little over three years of uptime. When I went into the telephone room to shut down the server, I discovered the box was in an upright rack enclosure. Which was locked. I mentioned this to their computer guy. He didn't even know the enclosure was locked, much less where the key was.

He said no one had ever needed to open it before.

To make a long story short, I ended up removing a side panel from the enclosure and popping the door open. To this day, though, I've yet to bounce another box with that much uptime. I don't like Novell, but I have much respect for it.

Kuro5hin is full of mostly freaks and hostile lunatics - KTB

If nothing else... (none / 0) (#4)
by un_eternal on Tue Apr 10, 2001 at 07:37:16 PM EST

it speaks to the stability of netware. I personally love working in a mostly netware environment. Just out of curiosity, zephiros, what is it that you dislike about netware?

-Ahh...A nice legally binding electronic signature
I'm pretty fond of Netware for some reason.. (none / 0) (#5)
by Sheepdot on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 01:08:58 AM EST

While I kind of inherited it when a full-time system support administrator came and started the department on Novell, I've learned that it is very flexible. I especially appreciate the Macintosh support, which is what OS we have a large base for in the department.

Plus the uptime on one of our servers is in the 400s of days right now (a couple months over a year) and that is pretty impressive to me anyway. I've heard of some Novell servers having around a thousand days of uptime. Never actually seen it though.

Novell (none / 0) (#11)
by zephiros on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 06:15:01 PM EST

Just out of curiosity, zephiros, what is it that you dislike about netware?

It's hard to say; while I could memorize the stuff I needed to do to keep boxen running, I never really "grokked" Netware. When I was introduced to it, I had come from a Linux/SCO background. The Novell toolset was not geared toward empowering the admin to solve problems in creative ways, or allowing the admin to script routine tasks. Other people in my company found the Novell management tools simple and intuitive. *shrug* It's a good thing there's more than one OS.

Kuro5hin is full of mostly freaks and hostile lunatics - KTB

Obligatory MS bash (1.00 / 1) (#7)
by decaf_dude on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 02:33:52 AM EST

With NT you always know where your server is! You also have to replace 3 particular buttons on your keyboard every so often because they tend to wear out from over-use :)

Ever tried searching for "uptime" in WinNT help?

A Legend... (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by WWWWolf on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 06:45:30 AM EST

Here's a legend of an oddly placed server (quoted in Jyrki Kivimäki's "Dzoukki Y3K" book):

Two computer support people installed new hard disks to a server. The machine didn't have any space left inside, so they placed the disks outside the machine (no problem, just take the disk cables out of the machine).

This lead to heat problems. They didn't have a good cooling fan at the time, but they found a place that had just the perfect fan for this purpose.

The hall.

No problem with this one either. Just a bit of Ethernet cable and...

...the manager happened to see these two people installing the server to its interesting new location.

"What are you doing?"

"Uh, you're not going to believe this, but we're trying to get our new server running."

-- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north...

I love Novell's uptime (none / 0) (#10)
by Dink Meeker on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 02:56:55 PM EST

In the early 90s I worked as a system administrator for a small docotor's office with a Novell 3.1 server. It always ran great and I never had any problems with it and once I had configured it and taken care of the user's workstation problems, I found myself out of a job. I moved over to part-time consulting and came over whenever they had a problem, but I eventually moved out of the area. Seven years later I got a frantic call from them that their system was down. I had them read the error message on the server, it had segfaulted. I had them reboot the server and they haven't had a problem since.

"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself." --Frank Zappa
I took over a Novell server (none / 0) (#12)
by weirdling on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 06:55:35 PM EST

It was a 286 running 286/SFT Novell. Geez, that was old, even for then, but it had been running continuously for around three years with an ancient Seagate ST4096 linear access mode hard drive. Well, the machine was moved to a more solid table and the drive got flaky (I guess it needed shock-absorbtion), and had to be replaced. No problem; was going to upgrade motherboard and OS to 386 and Novell 3, anyway. Installed the new HD, connected the two servers together, ran ncopy on all the relevant directories, backed up and restored the registry, and had the new machine up by morning with no loss of data and no issues with the users. I've never had another OS upgrade go that smoothly. I love Novell as a file server.

I'm not doing this again; last time no one believed it.
Novell server finally found | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)