Priceless

Thu Apr 12, 2001 at 04:33:26 PM EST
Tags: Humour (all tags)
Humour

Trademark registration: $325.00

Slightly offensive joke about Columbine: $0.02

Cease and desist order: $500

Sticking it to Mastercard... Priceless.

o $325.00
o $0.02
o $500
o Priceless.
o Also by TheLaser

Priceless | 11 comments (7 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
So I Still Don't Get... (3.00 / 3) (#4)
by MisterBad on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 04:29:53 AM EST

...what's going on here. Is it an April Fool's joke (note date of file)? Is it for real? The c-and-d letter page says it's "bogus," but I can't tell if that means "bogus-misinformed-and-lame," or "bogus-I-made-this-up"?

Still, I like your take on it.

Well... (none / 0) (#5)
by TheLaser on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 04:47:59 AM EST

I can't find an April 1 date anywhere. If you are infering the date from the "/jokes/01/Apr/" in the url, I believe that to be the year, not the day. One of the other links has "/jokes/99/Apr/" in it. I parsed the "bogus" to mean "lawyer intimidation threats, with no basis in law".

Thank you! (4.33 / 3) (#6)
by Zeram on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 05:09:10 AM EST

Between your presentation and the actual sites themselves, I almost fell out of my chair laughing! Espically at that last bit about "for everything else theres Mastercard's lawyers"! Oh I needed that! Thank you!

<----^---->
Like Anime? In the Philly metro area? Welcome to the machine...
Credit (4.00 / 1) (#7)
by Osama Bin Laden on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 09:16:57 AM EST

However credit should be given where credit is due. According to a Slashdot article yesterday, this "presentation" originated with Brad Templeton, the rec.humor.funny moderator.

ObL

Ok, everyone (3.00 / 1) (#8)
by Elendale on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 11:29:18 AM EST

This is going to stop now. I've patented the process of patenting something frivolous and/or foolish for the sole purpose of gouging people and making reams of greenbacks (or whatever the color of the money is where you live). Sure, there's some worry about prior art but i think the patent office will ignore it. As far as demonstrating the procedure, the submission itself is a demonstration. I expect to be awarded this patent soon and then i'll put a stop to all this.

-Elendale (in a perfect world perhaps....)

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

Too bad... (none / 0) (#11)
by TheLaser on Thu Apr 12, 2001 at 08:35:23 PM EST

There is obviously quite a lot of prior art, and anyway, this was a trademark, not a patent. :)

Nader and Priceless (5.00 / 3) (#9)
by akb on Wed Apr 11, 2001 at 05:20:27 PM EST

Ralph Nader did a spoof on Priceless for his presidential campaign. It worked like a charm, Mastercard went after him and got him many times more publicity than he would have gotten otherwise. Salon article

Collaborative Video Blog demandmedia.net

Priceless | 11 comments (7 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)