Looking for something other than "Troll"?

By kostya in MLP
Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 11:10:42 PM EST
Tags: Internet (all tags)
Internet

The site Flame Warriors lists some more descriptive names and titles for helping you classify the various denziens of the usenet and the weblog. The site also includes some great images to go along with the names.

It has the more common Lurker and the Grammarian, but it also has the more creative such as the Kung-Fu Master, the Tireless Rebutter, and the Filibuster.

While I will not be so presumptious as to categorize myself, I will categorize Lee Malatesta as the Philosopher :-) Anyone who has been on the wrong side of the discussion with Lee quickly starts to realize there is no way they can win. Lee, friendly and open to other opinions, just keeps bringing more logic and more knowledge to bear on the discussion. You can think you have a great argument; however, Lee will quietly point out the correct parts and then systematically dismantle the rest. Politely and firmly, he grinds people up and spits them out--his logic cannot be resisted :-)

Who do you think you are? Who do you wish you were? What would everyone else call you? :-)

"I think I am the ..."

o Kung-Fu Master
o Tireless Rebutter
o Filibuster
o Lee Malatesta
o Philosophe r
o Also by kostya

Looking for something other than "Troll"? | 26 comments (21 topical, 5 editorial, 0 hidden)
Navel-gazing (2.42 / 7) (#1)
by meadows_p on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 11:33:41 AM EST

Someone's got far too much time on their hands.

On k5? (4.00 / 4) (#10)
by davidduncanscott on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 12:42:59 PM EST

I'm shocked, shocked to find that navel-gazing is going on in here!

It's a disgrace, for sure (3.00 / 1) (#16)
by imperium on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 04:10:13 PM EST

I mean, haven't I got something better to be doing with my time?

x.
imperium

Re: Navel gazing (2.00 / 1) (#20)
by frozencrow on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 08:49:18 PM EST

Hey, don't knock it 'til you try it.

I believe that I have seen this before... (3.20 / 5) (#2)
by yankeehack on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 11:41:34 AM EST

I think Siggy covered this earlier either in a story or in his diary....
Had to be said:If using Office 2000 is like sex, then Microsoft is my pimp.

Not quite (3.00 / 1) (#5)
by codemonkey_uk on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 12:21:26 PM EST

Its been mentioned in this diary, and I think its been in a rejected story.

But you could always do a search and check for yourself...
Thad

I do this to! (3.80 / 5) (#3)
by shoeboy on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 11:57:22 AM EST

Great to see I'm not the only one who registers multiple accounts to make it seem like he has fans!

--Shoeboy
No more trolls!
Nah (4.00 / 3) (#4)
by kostya on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 12:12:22 PM EST

I'm my own account :-) It's just when I read the Philosopher description, the first person I thought of was lee.

There have been a few threads where I thought I was doing a pretty good job of sounded both informed and intelligent. And then lee would weigh in (on my side in those cases), and I just felt kind of dumb :-) Even though he was on my side, I was kind of humbled by how much I didn't know about what I was talking about. I think he reads a lot or something.

----
Veritas otium parit. --Terence
edit (2.00 / 1) (#12)
by alprazolam on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 01:47:56 PM EST

change it to his circular logic cannot be resisted and i think you will have nailed lee perfectly. of course he still fits in the philosopher category most likely. i don't really think any of them cover me, maybe ennui.

I nominate myself as ... (3.33 / 3) (#8)
by kostya on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 12:41:37 PM EST

... Sycophant!

:-)

Unforuntately, I didn't realize how much of a suck-up piece this sounded like until a few people mentioned it. And now that I read it, I sound like a total suck-up. Ah, so much for being funny ;-)

As it is, I could nominate a few people for some of the more negative ones, but I thought they wouldn't appreciate the humor and just get pissed :-) As it is, I'm sure lee is more annoyed than honored <grin> He was, unfortunately, the first person to come to mind.

If anyone else wants a suck-up piece, I can probably whip up one for you by the end of the day. Just send me an email :-)

So much for my attempt at humor in a story submission. I'll stick to the serious stuff from now on!

----
Veritas otium parit. --Terence
Who am I? (2.33 / 3) (#9)
by unstable on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 12:41:42 PM EST

I AM

Reverend Unstable
all praise the almighty Bob
and be filled with slack

All your flamers are belong to us! (3.00 / 4) (#13)
by cable on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 03:01:33 PM EST

Is there an AYBABTU category? User keeps on posting the "All your * are belong to us" in titles and posts? ;)

------------------
Only you, can help prevent Neb Rage!
Probably (2.50 / 2) (#19)
by deaddrunk on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 07:02:37 PM EST

Lamer :) . I was gutted to realise that I'm an idealogue/weenie. Time to join the UK Conservative party (like the Republicans only far less talented).

Hmmm.... (4.50 / 8) (#14)
by Signal 11 on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 03:09:59 PM EST

They ought to give me some credit... half of those types of flamers are as a direct result of my involvement in the Great Slashdot War of 1998, when a splinter group of the Maldinian Church seperated to become the Justified Agents of RMS. After that, the Maldinians took over several major governments and began their reign of bitchslapping terror. Influential cavemen in 3rd world countries were armed and thrown into combat, suffering numerous setbacks and defeat against the Maldinians. Finally, in late 1999, the Justified Agents of RMS attacked the stronghold of the Maldinians and wiped out their central control, forcing them to buckle to OSDN corporatization pressures.

I have to sign off now... Elvis is on line 2. We're planning a suprise for those bastards at Geekizoid.

Society needs therapy. It's having
trouble accepting itself.

Let's annoy my favorite K5ers! (3.00 / 2) (#17)
by ZanThrax on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 04:16:55 PM EST

I found trhurler! and siggy

Not that they're all that accurate really, but its still a fun read... Couldn't find any that really worked for me, but many were partial fits...

Time for a new .sig

Granny-Nanny (none / 0) (#21)
by mami on Mon Apr 23, 2001 at 11:01:49 PM EST

aah yaaa...

I am Jekyl and Hyde (none / 0) (#22)
by a life in hell on Tue Apr 24, 2001 at 01:33:55 AM EST

or however you spell it ;). It was pretty freaky, actully... I read it, and I was like "Fuck. This is me". eh.

myself... (5.00 / 1) (#23)
by gtx on Tue Apr 24, 2001 at 11:12:28 AM EST

i was reading the description for 'lamer' when i encountered:

Nonetheless, he is readily identifiable because of his mediocre wit, utter lack of insight and vacuous comment .

fits me to a t.

--------
i don't have anything clever to write here.
Well, here's my sad truth... (none / 0) (#24)
by JazzManJim on Tue Apr 24, 2001 at 03:26:22 PM EST

While I mostly try (and occasionally succeed) to be this, I generally end up being this and every once in a very great while, this.

Ick...I'm not encouraged.

-Jimmie
-Jimmie
"Hostility toward America is a religious duty, and we hope to be rewarded for it by God...I am confident that Muslims will be able to end the legend of the so-called superpower that is America."
(Osama bin Laden - 10 Jan 1999)
Am I a new species? (5.00 / 1) (#25)
by MoxFulder on Tue Apr 24, 2001 at 07:38:11 PM EST

I was thinking of categorizing myself as a real-life Palooka, not just on the Internet, since I repeatedly lose battles that are hopelessly pitched against me, but that didn't quite fit ... here's a description of me:

"Being naturally innocuous and likeable, although with many innate skills, I have an inexplicable desire to make others aware of my presence. Not content to be a thorn in their side, I wish to appear as a force to be reckoned with. However, I don't attract sufficient attention to myself by doing well at the things I am good at.

"Instead, I consistently enter the losing side of a battle, almost by subconscious decision. In college I am choosing to major in a subject I'm no good at, in spite of my other talents, I doggedly pursue sports despite my total lack of coordination, and I have chosen a part-time job that I know will be less fun, less rewarding, and more tiring than my other options.

"I stick to my choices, however foolish, with a perverse tenacity and occasionally I manage to succeed at something, though never conclusively. I seem to have a desire to prove my worthiness by pulling off a mediocre success in the face of overwhelming and absolutely unnecessary obstacles. "I have a tendency to help out my friends even to my own great detriment. They often admire my drive to succeed, but write me off as a nutcase as soon as they realize the hopeless missions I choose to undertake. I seem destined to fail, not because I lack the will to survive, but because I fight only the fights I cannot win."

So, somebody wanna classify me? :-)

"If good things lasted forever, would we realize how special they are?"
--Calvin and Hobbes

How about ... (5.00 / 1) (#26)
by kostya on Wed Apr 25, 2001 at 02:42:04 PM EST