K5's Writeup in Wired Magazine

By cp in MLP
Mon May 14, 2001 at 09:58:43 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Wired Magazine has a 1/3-page writeup about Kuro5hin on page 76 of its June, 2001 issue.

Amidst the flattery, several points stood out for this concerned reader:
  • Surely roblimo isn't that fat.
  • How come rusty gets thrice named whereas that part-time sysadmin fellow (all seven of him) and the handful of volunteers remain anonymous? Maybe there'd have been more room if Malda's name had been left out.
  • How can the submission queue be accurately described as "Survivor-style"? Albeit, judging from the glacial pace of the front page's updates, I can understand how someone might think that only one story at a time is allowed to emerge victorious.
  • Does this mean it's now time to reserve the domain notspawnofslashdot.org?

On the Wired blurb:

o part-time sysadmin fellow
o seven
o handful
o of
o volunteers
o Also by cp

K5's Writeup in Wired Magazine | 22 comments (21 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)
the survivor comment (4.66 / 15) (#1)
by ODiV on Mon May 14, 2001 at 06:10:50 PM EST

"editing queue, where readers can peruse it, post responses, and then vote Survivor-style."

We just can't escape this stupid show can we? You'd think living in a democracy we could come up with a better known example for voting...

Hrm... Maybe if they played up the US elections like they do Survivor the percentage of participation in voting would be better.

[ odiv.net ]
Well, (3.93 / 15) (#2)
by trhurler on Mon May 14, 2001 at 06:15:47 PM EST

Seeing as this site has now been publicly announced to all the vidiots too stupid to have found it by now, we officially need a new home for people who can both program AND keep a girlfriend, and who probably even know how to tie their own shoes. Soon, we'll be overrun with the kind of crap you'd expect from the sort of morons who still have subscriptions to Wired. I can't wait to see the queue full of insightful stories like "Windows 2000 is a bit less cosmically repugnant than Tom Brokaw" and "The world will end when the AI destroys humanity!"

Anyone got a T1 and a fast machine? I've got some spare time... we can pretty much take the existing k5 accounts and just not let anyone else in without the recommendation of an existing member, I think... wouldn't be too hard a mod to scoop.

Note for the humor impaired: shut up. Do not reply. I didn't really mean it.

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

Actually not too horrible of an idea (3.80 / 5) (#4)
by John Milton on Mon May 14, 2001 at 06:24:26 PM EST

Sometime in the future it might not be a bad idea to put some kind of cap on membership. If you like fairly small cliques that is. Seriously, I'm not suggesting cutting off membership completely, but maybe someday when things start to get hairy. Give trusted users invite ability or set a limit to how many accounts can be created in a space of time. Just to slow down the population growth and give K5 time to absorb newbies.

Ah, but what am I talking about. I'm a newbie. :)

oh la la, a horrible idea for freedom loving K5 (4.16 / 6) (#10)
by mami on Mon May 14, 2001 at 09:48:46 PM EST

You want to make restrictive rules and cut down my freedom to join and rate and vote and post more nonsense than anyone else ?

That's against the constitution. My first amendment rights are violated. I am censored. My invitation to speak freely cancelled. Who decides, who is not allowed to have an account ? Who decides if I can trust you and you can trust me ? Trusted users ain't here.

There are most probably not more than 2 to 4 percent untrusted female posters on K5. I protest against discrimination on the basis of sex with regards to equal opportunity to access and to participate in K5.

There is too much bullying around among K5 posters. I protest against verbal harrassment on the basis of religion and political orientation. This site is the abomination of equal human rights for each netizen. :-)

What's up ? Didn't you read K5 lately ?

why not (4.62 / 8) (#5)
by ODiV on Mon May 14, 2001 at 06:28:27 PM EST

just make it so you have to telnet in to start an account?

[ odiv.net ]
Arbornet.org (none / 0) (#13)
by howardjp on Tue May 15, 2001 at 01:10:48 PM EST

www.arbornet.org

telnet m-net.arbornet.org

Yeah! (none / 0) (#22)
by tofuhead on Thu May 17, 2001 at 07:23:26 PM EST

Definitely a good idea. Make them telnet in to start an account. To port 80.

Pretty soon, thanks to the publicity from Wrong^H^H^H^Hired, you'll have people writing programs left and right to ease the process of starting k5 accounts. Some crafty wizard may even write a piece of software that not only allows you to create an account, but browse the site as well. Hmm, "browse," eh? I like the sound of that.

(On second thought, we'd better keep this idea on the downlow. MS may catch wind of our incredible invention, and tie it into Windows.)

< tofuhead >

Not humor-impaired. (1.29 / 17) (#6)
by regeya on Mon May 14, 2001 at 06:47:59 PM EST

You're just not funny.

You're just an asshole.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Hmm... (3.16 / 6) (#8)
by trhurler on Mon May 14, 2001 at 07:09:50 PM EST

Well, I amuse me, and I've heard rumors that there are people who don't entirely despise everything I write that tries to be funny, though I can't prove that. However, there's no doubt that I'm an asshole. On that, we are in total agreement. The k5 incarnation of me is such a dickhead that it is painful to contemplate.

What was your point?

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

You know its amazing how often I find myself (3.75 / 4) (#9)
by ZanThrax on Mon May 14, 2001 at 09:33:24 PM EST

agreeing with every word in one of trhurler's posts. <grin>

When you don't feel like thinking, quote!

Heh (3.00 / 2) (#19)
by regeya on Wed May 16, 2001 at 12:27:06 AM EST

My original post was actually just a joke. Oh, you didn't think it was funny? You humorless fucks. ;-)

Seriously, look how many people rated that comment down.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Gated Communities (4.00 / 2) (#11)
by kostya on Mon May 14, 2001 at 10:16:01 PM EST

This goes back to my ceaseless ramblings about communities and size. K5 will not always be the same. K5 will, someday, be just like /. is now.

I'm currently working on code that uses a gated community approach. Every "object" in the site has permissions like a UNIX filesystem. I'd hack something like scoop, but scoop serves a different audience than my project. Plus I can't use mod_perl or anything nice :-(

My sourceforge site is here. Nothing posted yet, but I just got comment and story posting to work in my private CVS branch.

I bet a minor hack to scoop on the user creation page would work fine. Just add a user submission queue. Enough votes of confidence, and you are in.

----
Veritas otium parit. --Terence
Gates and windows (none / 0) (#18)
by Eloquence on Tue May 15, 2001 at 06:28:43 PM EST

K5 will, someday, be just like /. is now

No. Want a bet?
Copyright law is bad: infoAnarchy Pleasure is good: Origins of Violence
spread the word!

Survivor? (3.80 / 5) (#7)
by fossilcode on Mon May 14, 2001 at 07:08:58 PM EST

Actually, doesn't Survivor use K5-style voting? I mean what's the difference between "I like you but you need a bath" and "Rewrite this and I might vote it up?"

Obviously the Wired reporter doesn't hang here much, or would have known all about the part-time sysadmin and full-time poll option.

"...half the world blows and half the world sucks." Uh, which half were you again?
I had no idea (none / 0) (#12)
by Wah on Tue May 15, 2001 at 11:29:10 AM EST

that rusty was a smirking pedo-phile. I mean really, what are you smiling at? That's a disturbing picture...maybe it was just the scan. Congrats on official geek stardom (hey, WiReD is still somewhat relevant, at least to webheads without internet access).
Some things, bandwidth can't buy. For everything else, there's Real Life | SSP
Smirking (5.00 / 1) (#15)
by rusty on Tue May 15, 2001 at 02:31:34 PM EST

Ha! Yes, I unfortunately do have a tendancy to smirk creepily. Once, in high school, I found a whole archive of my school pictures from elementary and middle school, and lined them up one after another. From kindergarten through ninth grade, you can see me getting bigger and older, but the smile is *exactly* the same in every one of them, and it's always that creepy smirk that seems to indicate that right after the picture is taken I'm going to do something disturbing to the photographer.

I plead accident of genetics. I'm not actually a creepy pedophile or anything. Also, I didn't know that my hands were even in the frame, or I wouldn't be clutching them together in that I'm-a-sociopath-who's-barely-controlled-by-medication way.

Believe it or not, that's actually a pretty good picture of me. It's a terrible picture, overall, from an artistic view, but it does look like me. So now you can all flee in horror. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

hey! (none / 0) (#17)
by Shren on Tue May 15, 2001 at 04:16:22 PM EST

I think you look like Bob. You just need a cheap pipe and a suitcase full of slack. Subgenius Propaganda link

OT: Yuck! Award time! (none / 0) (#14)
by WWWWolf on Tue May 15, 2001 at 01:41:38 PM EST

I know, this has nothing to do with the article, but I think that scan deserves the Hideous JPEG Of The Day award with oak leaf cluster (for Above Excellent Achevement in Generation of Compression Artifacts).

Kids, this is why you use should use PNG format to save drawings and use JPEG only with photos. =)

Uh, and as people already probably know, notslashdot.org goes to K5 =)

(Yes, I know this thing is content-free. I'm not having an excellent day today...)

-- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north...

Editing Queue? (none / 0) (#16)
by Anonymous 6522 on Tue May 15, 2001 at 03:10:01 PM EST

What editing queue? Was Rusty planning on implementing a survivor-style editing queue by the time the article was published? Why isn't it implemented yet? Will it have survivor-like immunities? Where will the naked fat guy be?

Sigh (5.00 / 2) (#20)
by Inoshiro on Wed May 16, 2001 at 05:09:16 AM EST

The thing is, I don't do K5 part time. I do it as "full time" as rusty does -- which is to say, when I can, as much as I can. I read books to review here, I write programs to make admisistration require less attentian, I fly to strange, southern countries which lack sane social safety nets for marathon meetings!

But 1) I've learned no one cares anyways, 2) it's easier to be humble when I have 'help' like this, 3) the Wired lady was clueless on the phone anyways (all media is), and made me pay the LD.

Christ, did she have to put in a ref to that "Survivor" TV show? I'm sure that Jeffersan fellow loves haw anything which involves voting is being compared to the latest point and gab shit on Fox.

Oh, and rusty ditched Slash BEFOR we got up to ~130,000 pageviews (not the same as visitors!) a day :p And why is the only direct qoute in the article from someone who runs another site? (Even if I agree with it.) But I'm not bitter.

[ イノシロ ]
Why You're Not In It (4.00 / 1) (#21)
by Devil Ducky on Wed May 16, 2001 at 03:13:59 PM EST

Obviously the reason Wired so rudely overlooked you (you part time sysadmin, you) is that they couldn't find a picture disturbing enough to be next to Rusty's.

And judging by the whole article, I'm not sure Malda was talking about k5 at all... in the context they took things he could have been talking about Studio 54.

Devil Ducky