Late Sleepers of the world unite!

By axxeman in MLP
Fri May 04, 2001 at 10:00:30 AM EST
Tags: Freedom (all tags)
Freedom

Forget about your standard discriminated-against minorities.

Late Sleeping is a basic human right.

From the Bill of Rights:

Everyone should be entitled to 8 full hours of sleep, regardless of the time they choose to take it. In addition, anyone who is called lazy for waking up at 10, despite having 4 or 5 hours sleep, should have the right to beat the speaker repeatedly about the head, preferably at a reasonable hour. ;)

I prefer to sleep
o "standard" hours (excuse me, where's the RFC/ ISO reference?) 8%
o till 11AM 37%
o when the compiler stops even having error messages for the stuff i do 6%
o in company... 14%
o especially when not much sleeping gets done 8%
o sleep() 8%
o at my desk (troglodyte) 1%
o now 14%

o Late Sleeping
o Bill of Rights
o Also by axxeman

Late Sleepers of the world unite! | 22 comments (15 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)
Amen (2.14 / 7) (#2)
by decaf_dude on Thu May 03, 2001 at 11:23:50 AM EST

brother!

I used to sleep late (3.60 / 5) (#4)
by DesiredUsername on Thu May 03, 2001 at 12:18:06 PM EST

I remember my first year of college--not a single night did I go to bed before midnight. And on several memorable occasions I got up after noon, including a couple where I got up just in time for dinner. Those were the days...

Three years ago I got a job that required me to meet the vanpool at 6:30--so I had to get up at 5:45 every morning (and no later than 7:00 on the weekends to avoid messing up my sleep schedule). And now that we have little (nay, tiny) children in the house--fuhgedaboudit. On the one hand, the toddler sleeps ~11 hours--on the other hand he starts at 7:00 pm. And I don't have to be to work until 8:00 am (which is in the basement). So I'm generally up 2-2.5 hours before I need to be.

I'll get him back though--when he gets to be a teenager I'll make him get up at 6:00 am every morning to do yard work or something.

For fairness sake, though, I should note that, now that I've been forced into it, I like the "early to bed and early to rise" schedule much better than the old way. Just not so *damn* early.

Play 囲碁
midnight? (none / 0) (#22)
by Requiem on Sun May 06, 2001 at 01:12:29 AM EST

Last year, I didn't have to get to class till 11:30 on Tues/Thurs, and 12:30 on Mon/Wed/Fri. Needless to say, going to bed at 2 or 3 a.m. was pretty routine. :)

I was forced out of a job because of this (4.33 / 6) (#6)
by gauntlet on Thu May 03, 2001 at 12:53:50 PM EST

What's more, it was my first "real" job, and I was still primarily under the medically documented sleep patterns of teenagers.

Personally, if I'm not doing real-time user support, and if I'm not being paid by the hour, then I don't think my boss should get to tell me when to be here. If I get my work done, pay me what you think it's worth. If I don't, pay me less or fire me. But DON'T MESS WITH MY SLEEP!

"It is difficult to catch a black cat in a dark room. Especially if there is no cat there." - Confucius

As a late sleeper (4.62 / 8) (#7)
by Elendale on Thu May 03, 2001 at 01:39:35 PM EST

I've fought with everyone who thinks 8 am is a reasonable time to do things. From my dad (who wakes up at 6:30 every morning to the second) to 8 am classes who think that attendance should be mandatory. As a side note, people who study sleep have determined that late/early people are indeed different. Its not a matter of being "lazy" or "motivated" (or whatever lazy's opposite is) but being unable to awaken when the rest of the world does (or before it). Mind you, people who are late sleepers usually end up being less motivated because the rest of the world thinks they should wake up several hours before they do. Its also noted that those who are late night people are typically more creative and early morning people are typically more able to keep a schedule.

-Elendale (trying to convince the world that waking up at noon is not a crime since 1996!)

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

Another late sleeper. (4.00 / 3) (#9)
by evvk on Thu May 03, 2001 at 02:26:32 PM EST

I don't know why, but I never get anything done at home by day. Night, perhaps because there are less distractions then, and at summer it is cooler (this room is a sauna those days), is a much better time to study, write code, etc. By day, when trying to do anything that requires some thought, you just end up reading some stupid weblog or such.

I hate waking up for 8:00 lectures (fortunately rare) but am too motivated so I usually do that nevertheless. Fortunately, I have free working hours.

Me too! (3.50 / 2) (#12)
by BigZaphod on Thu May 03, 2001 at 04:55:52 PM EST

Wow, I'm glad someone else has observed this. Around here it is generally considered bad form to sleep past 9:00am. Of course I do it all the time. But that's because I go to bed around 2:00 - 3:00am due the above mentioned fact.

I can't figure out what it is about night time, but it seems to really bring out my creativity and logical thinking abilities (all needed for programming, of course). I tend to think that it is because my mind is a little overactive and it takes about 6 hours for it to cool down to a reasonable level. And by that time it is much later in the day. But perhaps it is the night itself. Maybe evolution. By day we have some instinctive desire to hunt, eat, and do the things that require light. But when it gets dark there was always time for sitting around the camp fire and putting on the philisophical hat. Like, "ug, what if fire could be burned in cave without bad smoke" or "Ug wants to find way to get to river without using legs". Things like that.....

"We're all patients, there are no doctors, our meds ran out a long time ago and nobody loves us." - skyknight
Sleeping "late"? feh! (2.75 / 4) (#10)
by ksandstr on Thu May 03, 2001 at 03:18:18 PM EST

I routinely wake up at 15:00-ish, stay awake for 12 or 13 hours, then sleep for another 10 to 12 hours. Sure, waking up then takes a hour or so, but I'd say it's worth it.

All you "late sleepers" ain't got nothing on me :-)

Fin.
Canada worse than UK (3.00 / 2) (#13)
by cezarg on Thu May 03, 2001 at 05:32:25 PM EST

Seems to me that at least in the UK the "normal" working day begins at 9am (which usually meant 10.15am for myself). Luckily my employers have always been understanding of my sleeping patterns.

However, now I'm in Canada where EVERYBODY thinks it's reasonable to start work at 8am (ouch!) and employers seem to be far less flexible on that. What a nightmare (pun intended).

canada isn't that bad (none / 0) (#17)
by fonebone on Fri May 04, 2001 at 02:55:00 PM EST

the job i'll be starting soon will let me start any time i want, as long as i'm there between the hours of 10:30 and 2:30 or so. but i'm sure this is the exception.

i stay up every night usually to around 5 am, a habit i picked up during school since my earliest class was only 1pm and i didn't have anything to do before class. of course, i think this is a bit extreme, and i'm trying to adjust back to something a bit more normal. but i don't see any purpose why stores need to be open during such ridiculous hours, 8 am until 4 pm sometimes!

if someone didn't actually work that early in the day, why would they need to be awake? and conversely, if they do work, they wouldn't be going to the store, would they?

PHP and Ajax Web Development
start times in Canada are not uniform (none / 0) (#20)
by superfly on Fri May 04, 2001 at 04:27:50 PM EST

It depends on which city you're in. Calgary seems much earlier than Vancouver, for instance. I'm in Vancouver now, and I usually get to work around 10.

Here in Edmonton (none / 0) (#21)
by ZanThrax on Sat May 05, 2001 at 04:26:09 AM EST

most labour jobs begin at 8 am (some at 7). Add an hour bus ride, and this can easily mean getting up between 4 and 5 in the morning...

Time for a new .sig

A missing poll option (4.50 / 2) (#14)
by GiTm on Fri May 04, 2001 at 02:48:47 AM EST

When I'm tired (whenever that may be)

Which is pretty much how I work at the moment.
--- I have nothing funny to say here.
What's wrong with you people? :) (2.33 / 3) (#18)
by SnowDogAPB on Fri May 04, 2001 at 02:56:37 PM EST

Why can't you stay up late and get up early?

I've done this for years.

My alarm goes off at 5:45 AM. I'm up by 6. When I don't have to wait for my sleepy wife, I'm at work by 6:45, and home by 4:30 PM. I go to bed around midnight. On the weekends, I sleep until 7, or 8 if I have a really late night.

All this talk of early risers going to bed at 8:30 is hogwash. Some of us just like to get up early.

I hate when someone schedules a meeting for 4:00. I hate it even more when someone walks into my cube at 4:30 and asks me to look at a bug. Did I call you at home at 7:00 when I got in and say, "Hey, can you look at this bug?" No.

Ugh. I find it funny that late sleepers are complaining about this stuff, when as an early riser I get the same shit, different time. :)

Not sleeping in late, just waking up when... (4.00 / 1) (#19)
by puckchaser on Fri May 04, 2001 at 02:59:57 PM EST

I'm no fan of sleeping in late, I prefer to say that I merely wake up when my body tells me it's time to wake up. With few exceptions, I no longer use an alarm clock and just get up when I wake.

After doing this for about the last 4 years, my "internal" clock has been quite good about waking me when needed. I have little problem going to bed at 3AM and waking up at 6AM when I know I have a commitment (e.g. hockey practice), and on days which I don't, I'm quite good about sleeping in.

Whatever works for my body works for me. One thing I have noticed; however, is that I do have a much more difficult time forcing myself to stay up later, so I do tend to go to bed when I'm tired (typically 2am). Works for me, as I'm more likley to be tapping out bad code which will have to be fixed when I'm tired.