Comforters, Vicks Inhalers, and Glowsticks: Drug Paraphernalia.

By nobbystyles in MLP
Wed Jun 20, 2001 at 02:51:11 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

Salon has a good article on how the US authorities are using the 'Crack House' laws to shut down clubs in the USA that offer chill out rooms, free water, and medical personnel to their clients. Also, the various candy-core items such as masks, comforters, and Vicks Inhalers are judged 'drug paraphanalia' by the authorities. Looks like another case of the crap produced by the unwinnable 'War On Drugs'....

Thank god things are a little different in the UK, although little things like the Criminal Justice Act which allows police to ban gatherings of more than three people where repetitive beat music is being played isn't exactly enlightened either...

My major concern is a safety one as people are going to take drugs at these places no matter what you do and to deny medical attention, chill out rooms, and free water is criminal...

Should raveclubs be treated as 'crack houses'
o Yes 10%
o No 84%
o Other 4%

o Salon
o US authorities are using the 'Crack House' laws to shut down clubs in the USA
o Also by nobbystyles

Comforters, Vicks Inhalers, and Glowsticks: Drug Paraphernalia. | 28 comments (17 topical, 11 editorial, 0 hidden)
Interesting interpretations (4.25 / 4) (#1)
by Spatula on Wed Jun 20, 2001 at 11:59:30 AM EST

I just shudder to think that I could get arrested because I go to a club wearing my really big Scooby Doo rave pants and a silver lame shirt. I mean, the cops can't enforce the laws of fashion, can they? +1 Section.
someday I'll find something to put here.
I think I would have been... (4.00 / 2) (#2)
by nobbystyles on Wed Jun 20, 2001 at 12:02:02 PM EST

Arrested too by having Vicks and glow sticks during the UK hardcore rave scene of the early 1990s when all this crap was 'fashionable'....

More likely for me... (none / 0) (#3)
by Spatula on Wed Jun 20, 2001 at 12:03:47 PM EST

I would be arrested by the fashion police, as it's generally considered "un-hip" for a 26 year old to enjoy rave clubs. I think those kids are just jealous of my boffo dance gear.
someday I'll find something to put here.
Say what? (none / 0) (#15)
by broken77 on Wed Jun 20, 2001 at 08:21:47 PM EST

I'm 26, and I still go... And I have friends that are upwards of 35/36 that are still going. Maybe you're going to the wrong raves...

I'm starting to doubt all this happy propaganda about Islam being a religion of peace. Heck, it's just as bad as Christianity. -- Dphitz

geriatric ravers (none / 0) (#19)
by %systemroot% on Thu Jun 21, 2001 at 02:13:22 AM EST

I'm a member of a mailing list for just this demographic, geriatric defined as being over 25.

T.

OT: I hope... (2.50 / 2) (#10)
by jd on Wed Jun 20, 2001 at 12:40:22 PM EST

Someone =will= enforce the laws of fashion along the East Coast of the US. This has absolutely nothing to do with substance abuse. Unless you include whatever petro-chemical that is used in modern clothes.

UK (4.40 / 5) (#5)
by pallex on Wed Jun 20, 2001 at 12:07:22 PM EST

Actually, i remember watching a program about `rave culture` a few years ago and, although i cant remember it word for word, one of the police officers interviewed said something like:

`after we`d stopped the cars we`d look inside for evidence of drug use... (gave a few examples)... bottles of water`!!

So perhaps things arent as different as you think!

Then again, one part of London will officially be just `formally warning` people in possession of `small amounts` of cannabis (and confiscating it), instead of offering them a `caution` (which stays on your criminal record for a while), or prosecuting them for possession (and a likely resulting 50 fine). Its likely this will spread to other parts of London, and, who knows, perhaps even other parts of the country?

Labour have also just demoted the ridiculous `drugs czar` (an ex-policeman with a stupid moustache, but at the same time the highest paid civil servant) to a part-time position. Perhaps, with 5 years until the next election, they are going to try something interesting? I doubt it though. lets see what the focus groups say, eh Tony?

Defacto Tolerance (3.75 / 4) (#7)
by nobbystyles on Wed Jun 20, 2001 at 12:15:37 PM EST

They won't change the laws in the UK because of the 'Daily Mail' factor (a notoriously conservative but popular newspaper) but if the experiment in Brixton doesn't lead to 'society collapsing as we know it', then they'll probably extend it to the rest of London and probably other major UK cities...

My friend was down in Brixton the other day and loads of people were smoking weed in public and there are even discreet cafes opening a la Amsterdam...

Yep! (3.50 / 2) (#9)
by pallex on Wed Jun 20, 2001 at 12:36:57 PM EST

I was there a few weeks ago, and from the smell I assumed the thing had gone through. Imagine my suprise that its not for another month!

Big `legalize it` march down there last saturday, and 0 arrests. I imagine a couple of people may have had a smoke, though.

My fave Daily Mail headline (for a while, anyway) was something like `shock poll: 80% of public want legal pot`. With the Times (another establishment paper) officially supporting Labour at the last election, i`d say that even the Daily Mail posse are unsure about it all - it has a largly elderly readership, which is a group of people who could gain from using cannabis as a natural pain relief for osteoporosis, arthritus etc.

I think if people spoke to their relatives about drugs, and how the laws are i)immoral, 2)expensive and 3)inconsistant, it would do a lot to further legalisation.

Nearly every day... (none / 0) (#20)
by keyeto on Thu Jun 21, 2001 at 07:17:17 AM EST

I wander home for lunch, since I can't smoke in the office, and it's nice to be able to sit down comfortably to smoke, as well as just getting out of the office for a while.

Nearly every day I walk past a guy sitting on a bench in the street openly smoking a huge spliff. It's only just round the corner form the police station too. Maybe he's just being a dick, but Lothian police seems to be pretty enlightened about cannabis, on the whole.

"This is the Space Age, and we are Here To Go"
William S. Burroughs
nyc datapoint (3.00 / 1) (#18)
by Rainy on Thu Jun 21, 2001 at 12:51:37 AM EST

I was arrested for possession and had to go to court and subsequently dismissed with no fine, which seemed to be the rule at least on that day there (I've seen a few others get the same treatment). I'm not entirely sure what the cutoff amount here is, I think it's possession under an ounce or half an ounce.. I had less than half, myself.
Rainy "Collect all zero" Day
Judges/magistrates refusal? (none / 0) (#21)
by keyeto on Thu Jun 21, 2001 at 07:24:20 AM EST

I remember seeing a TV program a while back, that interviewed a whole bunch of US judges/magistrates, who said they were making a policy of refusing to put such cases through the courts. The reason they gave was too many cases making the whole process really expensive, pointlessly so for the consensual victimless crimes they were.

Do you know if this is still the case, and is it spreading? How much leeway does a judge/magistrate have for this sort of thing? I imagine it'd be a bit different if you were found with a mound of crack and a handgun.

"This is the Space Age, and we are Here To Go"
William S. Burroughs
No idea (none / 0) (#28)
by Rainy on Sat Jun 23, 2001 at 11:40:57 AM EST

That would be pretty sweet, though.
Rainy "Collect all zero" Day
Another Sad Buecratic Program (4.50 / 2) (#16)
by AArthur on Wed Jun 20, 2001 at 09:38:12 PM EST

Tonight, people are dying, people went hungry, programs are closing down do to lack of funds, all over the United States. Millions of dollars are being wasted on closing down raves, as they kill a few people (who went there just for a good time, and most of whom who know the dangers of any subtance they make take). Honest club owners are just trying to save peoples lives.

Goverment is meant to protect people from the irresponsible actions of others, but not from themselves. Goverment should be protecting peoples rights, and setting an example for a standard of responsiblity for the world.

Responsibilty is something a person takes on their own. Goverment can't instil responsiblity into a person. The same is true with morals and values. Their something a person develops on their own. If the people they look up to are responsible, smart and do the right thing at all times, they will likely follow that pattern.

You can't legislative morality. Every attempt has failed to do this. You can only educate and show leadership to end this problem. And some people will still use drugs, but some people will always engage in dangerous behaviours -- it's a dangerous world out there -- and even with every procaution -- it's still a dangerous world. Goverment nor anyone should think we can get every dangerous situation elimated -- it won't happen.

Andrew B. Arthur | aarthur@imaclinux.net | http://hvcc.edu/~aa310264

Stupid laws (4.00 / 1) (#17)
by Tatarigami on Wed Jun 20, 2001 at 10:34:56 PM EST

Is it just me or is the law becoming more and more intrusive and at the same time, laughably unenforceable?

If I use the word 'fuck' in email, I'm breaking the law. If I gather together with five or more of my friends in a public place, I'm breaking the law. If I take home two bottles of a prescription medication within 30 days of each other, I'm breaking the law.

Actually, I can understand that last example, even if I think it's stupid. My particular prescription medication is subsidised by the government -- whether I like it or not -- so if I die before collecting the next one, they save a grand total of $1.

Maybe I should be grateful instead of irritated. I'm lucky, in a way. Most people don't know what their life is worth.

DC is closed for the 4th, everyone go home (none / 0) (#23)
by sp45m on Thu Jun 21, 2001 at 02:05:41 PM EST

Well, I guess DC will have to cancel July 4th celebrations... We certainly can't have all those children running around with glow sticks and drinking bottled water. And let's not forget to ban those "chill out" tents that spray water.... Try to imagine all the education lost because the money was spent on the so called "War on Drugs". The US policy seems to be why teach what you can hide in a prison.
"You are free to do as we tell you!" Bill Hicks
Hospitals (none / 0) (#24)
by srichman on Thu Jun 21, 2001 at 07:47:27 PM EST

If we really want to crack (no pun intended) down on these drug users, we should start by closing down hospital emergency rooms. Hospitals are the first place these criminals turn to when they overdose, and everyone knows it. Providing an easily-accessible, 24-hour medical service is just catering to these hoodlums, encouraging them, giving them the safety net they need to indulge in late-night narcotic binges with wild abandon.