Digital Art On The Move

By Morn in MLP
Fri Jun 29, 2001 at 02:57:28 AM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

Whilst doing some random web browsing, I happened upon Idruna Software, producer of the Photogenics art program for Amiga, Windows and Linux and noticed that they've recently released a port to PocketPC.

Is this the first fully-fledged painting and image manipulation program for a pocket platform? It could be pretty useful to the digital artist 'on the move' - a stylus-based natural media art program in your pocket - though I think it'd pretty cool to play with for anyone (I'd certainly like a try at it).

To me, 'Photogenics In My Pocket' would be
o Useful 16%
o Fun 21%
o Pointless 62%

o Idruna Software
o port to PocketPC
o Also by Morn

Digital Art On The Move | 15 comments (13 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
What's next? (3.40 / 5) (#1)
by jabber on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 09:41:19 AM EST

Is it just me, or does that seem totally pointless? I mean, the screen quality on those things is abysmal. What self respecting 'artist' could create anything on a PDA? Voice recognition I could understand, but art on something the size of a deck of cards? At those resolutions?

What's next? Braille button labels on digital cameras?

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

didn't you know? (3.25 / 4) (#2)
by cetan on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 10:04:09 AM EST

Pixels are in, they're hip, they're shiek, they're _it_. If you ain't with the pixel man, you're just nothin'

Ok, humor aside for a moment.

It's interesting how you look at digitial art as something more than just "art that is digital." Art is very subjective and the medium used to create art is broad. I would hope that "self respecting 'artist[s]'" do use these to create their art. If they use program x or program y or program z, they are still creating art.

===== cetan www.cetan.com =====
Wherefore "Art" thou? (3.33 / 3) (#3)
by jabber on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 10:22:51 AM EST

Sure, art is subjective, blah, blah...

A single 1"x1" red dot in the middle of an 8'x10' sheet is 'art' in the right context. Sure. But art is about expression. It's about creativity and pushing the bounds of the conventional. It either needs to recreate nature, or somehow re-represent it. It's about freeing the imagination and the spirit.

Somehow, I fail to see a 160x200 grid of pixels, with maybe a 16 bit depth, as liberating.

Those who enable creativity do so to fullfil a need. The old supply and demand bit applies to art as well as to anything else. Digitizing tablets, touch-screens, light-harps... All these things allow expression. Being able to draw on a PDA is constraining, and more restrictive than scribbling on a napkin - PDAs are for capturing data, and art isn't data (semantic argument aside).

I think your first paragraph summed up the motivation behind this product.. "Ohh, lookit! Look what we CAN do... Should we? Who cares! Someone will bite.. "

Then again, elegant code is as much artistic as a symphony. Yet a PDA screen doesn't have (IMHO of course) the goods for visual aesthetics.

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

art garfunkle (3.66 / 3) (#4)
by cetan on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 10:52:49 AM EST

It's about freeing the imagination and the spirit.

Those who enable creativity do so to fullfil a need

Just to play devils avocate here: What if someone, who's using the PDF does free his or her imagination in this act? What if it stimulates the brain and causes (what you would call) "real art" to emerge on a different medium? Is that also not "art" in a raw form? [as an aside: You can go 'round and 'round about what makes a piece of art "finished."]

Everything you said, up to the second sentance I have quoted can be applied to creating something on a PDA. I fail to see why you think the medium makes that much of a difference just because the resolution is poor. If I show a film on a crappy white-washed wall, slightly askew and out of focus, is the the film still "artistic" or is it reduced to something less than that?

These are all ramblings of course, I'm not trying to write a thesis in this little comment box, but I think that dis-allowing for a creative process on something like a PDF is silly. In my graphic design classes at college (disclaimer: no I was not a design major, these were classes taken 'for fun') we all kept small books of blank sheets of paper with us, to "doodle." Some of us used these books as jumping points to greater things, others used them to create pieces and translate them directly onto their computers. The point of this is that these books were crappy little things; a dime a dozen, used for either mindless wanderings of the pen and pencil or to create pieces then eventually went on display. From a graphic design (computerized) stance, the paper, with it's ability to bleed ink and smudge graphite, is horrible "resolution" yet I think you'd probably argue that some of these drawings _were_ real art.

In the end, 2 pixels or 2 grillion pixels, art does not make. People make art and they make it everywhere. Call me nieve or lofty in my thoughts, but this is what I think.

===== cetan www.cetan.com =====

'ave a 'art (4.00 / 2) (#6)
by jabber on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 11:09:51 AM EST

I really can't dispute anything you've said. Discussions about art are as much subjective as art itself. And we are beginning to delve into the metaphysical here.

Yes, people create art, the medium is just that, the carrier of the concept.

But let's reduce this to a trivial extreme. Say you have one pixel, and it is binary. Is setting it's state in any way artistic? A black spot? A white spot? At what point, as we increase the resolution and color depth, does 'art' emerge from within something completely deterministic? Maybe that's my issue. A PDA is so finite that creativity is limited.

Yes, the guy who plays the cymbals at the the Boston Pops is an artist - but his instrument is not binary - there is force, timing.. It's his performance and not the purity of the tone he generates, that makes his art 'art'. A tuning fork is not an instrument, but struck just so, at the right time, it is artistic.

So, back to the PDA.. For writing poetry, sure.. For sketching Zen-like line art? I really don't know... An image within as confied a number of possibilities as afforded by a PDA, just seems, I don't know, diminished. Then again, I am far from being an artist. I lack that sort of imagination and vision. I'm sure that in the right hands, a PDA can be just as viable a canvas as any other medium.

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Here is a little thought (3.50 / 2) (#8)
by shrub34 on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 12:05:37 PM EST

As I read this, I had a great idea that, if I ever owned a PDA, I would use the software to layout designs. I attempt to do rought sketches on the computer of my programs but I find myself going to ASCII art. With a stylus, I would find laying out quick designs easy an better than ASCII. Just my 2 cents.

=====
It's good to see the BSD community forking and execing so many child processes.

• Comment about editor of Daemon News not attending BSDco
  • screen size (3.50 / 2) (#11)
    by /dev/niall on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 02:27:55 PM EST

PocketPCs have a screen size of 240x320. Quite a bit bigger. Are you an artist?
    "compared to the other apes, my genitals are gigantic" -- TheophileEscargot
    surely you jest (4.00 / 2) (#12)
    by et on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 03:47:47 PM EST

A good artist thrives on limitations. ANSI & ASCII art are two notable examples in the digital world. Complaining that a "160x200 grid of pixels, with maybe a 16 bit depth" is stifling and doesn't "have the goods for visual aesthetics" is bourgeois nonsense; a talented artist can create something new and interesting out of some litter and duct tape if need be.

I'd likely be more interested in seeing what someone unknown and imaginative has done on a PocketPC graphics program (or with the litter and duct tape) than I would be in seeing the latest greatest opening by some well known name on the 'Art Circuit'.. I've had my fill of boring avant-garde crap born in elegant seaside studios and comfy urban lofts, the meaning of which is then expounded upon for hours upon hours by windbag Arts & Humanities professors, at gallery shmooze gatherings where people unashamedly dress like pirates and/or wear berets as they stroke their chins thoughtfully and complain about the quality of the cheese.

rOWR!!!!! | I don't fucking dance
    Art is about constraints, though. (4.00 / 2) (#14)
    by ToneHog on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 10:42:26 PM EST

Perhaps the whole point of working on a PDA is to create a limitation in which the artist must work within to create with. That's liberation.
    Breeze,
    TH

Maybe this has potential: (4.33 / 3) (#9)
    by momocrome on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 12:08:48 PM EST

Actually, a paint program like this could be a killer app for something like the Clio or other CE based tablet computers. When the Clio first hit the market, this was the very Wince app I was waiting for before I'd take the leap and buy one. Indeed, when I couldn't locate an acceptable sketching/painting app I declined to make the purchase. More is the pity, because the Clio is so dated and slow nowadays (compared to the price of say, a new iBook) I'll still have to pass. But who knows, perhaps the Clio will finally get an upgrade to the hardware...

"Give a wide berth to all that foam and spray." - - Lucian, The Way to Write History
    Screenshots (4.33 / 3) (#10)
    by infraoctarine on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 12:09:34 PM EST

Did you look at those screenshots? Looks good to me. The screen quality on some recent PDAs is quite good, just look at the iPaq. And by the way, I have seen decks of cards with really nice artwork on them too :)

Art on a PDA... (4.50 / 2) (#15)
    by WWWWolf on Fri Jun 29, 2001 at 10:04:21 AM EST

What self respecting 'artist' could create anything on a PDA?
    You know, if something can be used as a medium, it can be used to create art.

Here's an example of art produced with a PDA paint application (see the related /. story, too). Quite interesting, actually. =)

-- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north...

hrm (3.83 / 6) (#13)
    by shoeboy on Thu Jun 28, 2001 at 05:32:34 PM EST

Is that a stylus-based natural media art program in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

--Shoeboy
    No more trolls!

Digital Art On The Move | 15 comments (13 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)