Hard Core Computer Maintenance

By Ron Harwood in MLP
Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 01:22:31 PM EST
Tags: Humour (all tags)
Humour

While this entire computer maintenance site is apparently in Sweedish, anyone can appreciate the pictures of keyboard cleaning (at the car wash), removing a video card (with power tools), and defragging a hard drive (manually).

o computer maintenance site
o keyboard cleaning
o removing a video card
o defragging a hard drive
o Also by Ron Harwood

Hard Core Computer Maintenance | 20 comments (12 topical, 8 editorial, 0 hidden)
I did that once (sort of) (5.00 / 2) (#7)
by codemonkey_uk on Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 11:11:03 AM EST

Once, when drunk, I washed my keyboard in the sink, and dried it with a towel. It blew up my motherboard when I reconnected it. Not recomended.
Thad
Shouldn't this have been in the other article? (4.00 / 2) (#9)
by Anonymous 242 on Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 11:21:05 AM EST

The one about remembering?

Sex, posting to k5, it's all the dim past.

A roommate did that to me once with a phone. Her intentions were good. She didn't like the encrustation of dirt on our house phone that hadn't been cleaned in the 3+ years my wife and I lived in the house. Our kindly and matronly boarder took it upon herself to soak the entire phone in a pan of soapy water for several hours to aid in cleaning it.

Didn't even work after it dried out. Such a shame.

I'd share a story about something stupid I've done while drunk, but having been drunk few enough times to count on one hand, I can honestly say that I've never done anything stupid while inebriated. I commit all my stupidity while stone cold sober. . .

Have a day,

-l

No Fair! (3.33 / 3) (#10)
by your_desired_username on Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 11:25:51 AM EST

That's not fair - I've washed about 5 keyboards in sinks, and I've probably cleaned over a hundred with a wet soapy sponge. Why did I never get to see a motherboard blow up? Does God hate me? Should I go eat worms?

You can actually do that... (4.00 / 2) (#11)
by slaytanic killer on Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 11:30:38 AM EST

Jerry Pournelle actually takes his keyboards periodically into the shower with him. (Sorry for the pretty thought, ugh.) You can clean most keyboards in this manner, but you have to wait quite a while for them to dry.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and you could defintely have an exception. I would hesitate to do this with any really expensive/loved keyboards unless I really had to.

me too! (3.00 / 1) (#13)
by tyriphobe on Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 12:31:03 PM EST

Well, I wasn't too drunk - I had just had a few to get my creative juices flowing to write 12 pages of BS, poured myself a huge glass of Mountain Dew to keep me conscious, and immediately knocked the entire thing onto my keyboard. I took it apart and rinsed the parts in warm water, then spread them all over my room to dry. That kept me from doing any work for another hour or so, at least. And it worked fine when I put it back together - worked so well I did it again a few years later when the keyboard was getting crusty. The worst part was that I needed that caffeine, dammit!

That's funny... (3.00 / 1) (#17)
by ksandstr on Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 02:36:05 PM EST

I've washed the keyboard on one of my Amigas a couple of times (spilled beverages [soda, beer, tea]) and it's always worked. Maybe the PS/2 port is just too sensitive... dunno. PC keyboards are cheap though, so there's no real reason not to keep a backup around just in case.

Fin.
A question for any Swedes here. (none / 0) (#14)
by Anonymous 6522 on Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 01:37:26 PM EST

Is Svinto a good dishwashing detergent?

At least I think it's a dishwashing detergent.

It has pictures of dishes on the box.

And is it the normal swedish practice to us a box of Svinto as a straightedge, or has this man been cursed to use Svinto whenever he does computer maintenance?

I like saying Svinto. It's a very good word, in my opinion.

Svinto - Shining clean, without scratches! (5.00 / 1) (#16)
by infraoctarine on Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 02:17:24 PM EST

Hahaha, this is absolutely hilarious, a pity you are missing out on the text. Among other things, the good doctor says spelling errors is often due to fingers slipping on greasy keyboards, that is why you must carefully wash it with degreaser and put on some wax.

Anyway, Svinto is steel wool with soap in it; perfect for getting icky stuff off of your stove (that you thought was permanently stuck there), out of your sink, pans, tools, your incredibly dirty bike, and suchlike. And the box works as a straightedge. What more could you wish for? :)

Swedish Karate Kid: (none / 0) (#15)
by Betty Barnes on Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 01:48:19 PM EST

"Vax på, Vax av"

I'm still wondering what "SKUMTVÄTT" could possibly mean, though.

skumtvætt: (none / 0) (#19)
by Eivind on Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 07:45:09 PM EST

Means "foam-wash" (skum=foam) (tvætt=wash)

Blowing stuff up (none / 0) (#18)
by MrSmithers on Thu Jul 12, 2001 at 02:49:02 PM EST

Hmm, I've destroyed my fair share of equipment... Not intentionally though :)

I once got to see the back of a motherboard glow orange when I accidentally jumpered a fan power supply.

Another time I set a SCSI drive on fire. I took apart a computer whos drives would occasionally freeze for a few seconds (it had about 5 drives on the SCSI bus) and discovered that every single drive was set to terminate. It's a wonder it was working at all! After re-jumpering correctly, I applied power and was greeted by a shower of sparks and smoke coming out of one of the drives. After quickly shutting it down, I had to of course turn it on again (with the SCSI cable disconnected of course :) to see the fireworks. The case has a nice black spot now.

The other drives still work fine...

This reminds me of... (none / 0) (#20)
by LocalH on Fri Jul 13, 2001 at 07:09:06 AM EST

...the old 8-bit wars, mainly the wars between the Commodore 64 people and the Spectrum people. I know for a fact that several of both computers have been burned to a crisp (I saw pictures of a C64 being burned - quite tragic - and video of the Spectrum - quite a fun watch :). I'll have to find some links and post.