Afghanistan 2001

By MSBob in MLP
Sat Jul 21, 2001 at 03:37:11 AM EST
Tags: You Know... (all tags)
You Know...

There is an excellent photo gallery taken this year in Afghanistan by a Polish journalist Krzysztof Miller. It's a rare chance to see real life images from this enigmatic country.

You can find the thumbnailed pictures here. Click on each to see the big image.

Below is my translation of all the photo titles going row by row from left to right for all Polish challenged K5ers.

• Destroyed king's palace in Kabul
  • Destroyed area of Kabul
  • Taliban
  • Taliban patrol in Kabul city centre

• Wedding car driving along the streets of Kabul
  • Simple but porsperous brickworks near Kabul
  • Road to Kabul
  • Meat for the people of Kabul to celebrate the destruction of the Buddha statues

• Kabul city centre on Friday
  • Suburbs of Kabul
  • Brickworks
  • Museum of Afghanistan's history

• Zoo worker in Kabul
  • Meditation and yoga classes in Kabul
  • Area of Kabul where the most fierce fighting took place
  • Torham near the Afghan-Pakistan border

o here
o Also by MSBob

Afghanistan 2001 | 15 comments (11 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
I don't see any pictures (3.00 / 1) (#5)
by halo64 on Sat Jul 21, 2001 at 01:26:35 PM EST

For some reason the pictures don't show when I go to the site.

You won't see any pictures.... (none / 0) (#6)
by warpeightbot on Sat Jul 21, 2001 at 01:46:06 PM EST

if you're not using IE. The page depends on VBScript. No IE, no VBScript. No Windows, no IE. Linux users, fuggeddabowdit.

Which is a damn shame, because I did want to see that... I don't suppose somebody would mirror the pics, in something Lynx or at least Galeon can understand... subtitles would be nice, but I'm not going to yell if they aren't there....

Open Source, Open minds.
The command line is the front line.

Someone, please mirror pictures in some way. (4.00 / 1) (#7)
by arcade on Sat Jul 21, 2001 at 01:52:26 PM EST

I would _love_ it if some windowsuser could take care to mirror the pictures in some way. Its probably not very Legal to do so -- but that way at least others than IEusers can see them.

I don't have access to any machine with That OS on the next weeks, so .. :-/

arcade
Huh? (none / 0) (#8)
by QuoteMstr on Sat Jul 21, 2001 at 03:05:27 PM EST

Worksforme. Mozilla 0.9.1 (Well, galeon using that)

Wait (none / 0) (#9)
by QuoteMstr on Sat Jul 21, 2001 at 03:07:31 PM EST

Err,no, I was thinking of something else. My apolgoies.

Wrong link... (4.50 / 2) (#10)
by Joris Van Severen on Sat Jul 21, 2001 at 04:48:45 PM EST

I couldn't see the pictures with IE either, so I searched the site and found the correct url.

Hmm... (none / 0) (#11)
by MSBob on Sat Jul 21, 2001 at 07:49:07 PM EST

Everything seemed fine yesterday. I've no idea why the old link ceased to work. Thanks for digging it again.
I don't mind paying taxes, they buy me civilization.

Direct JPEG links (5.00 / 4) (#12)
by MSBob on Sat Jul 21, 2001 at 08:06:15 PM EST

People are having troubles accessing the site due to its (over)use of JavaScript. Here are direct links to all the images. Should work for everyone.

image 1
image 11
image 12
image 13
image 14
image 15
image 16

I hope this way everyone will be able to see them regardless of the browser. Should have done this in the article itself... Sigh.

I don't mind paying taxes, they buy me civilization.

dude, no sigh requiured (5.00 / 1) (#15)
by el_guapo on Sun Jul 22, 2001 at 06:38:02 PM EST

*at all* - -great little article/links. thanks for the additional linkage, i couldn't get the main link from the article to open at all.
mas cerveza, por favor mirrors, manifestos, etc.
gazeta.pl's money's worth (4.00 / 1) (#13)
by anonymous cowerd on Sun Jul 22, 2001 at 01:39:00 PM EST

We at K5 think about property rights and commercial ethics a lot, and why should this case be any different? The good people of gazeta.pl who have commissioned these fascinatingly bleak photographs don't ask much of us in return for the privilege of viewing them, all they want is for us to look at their banner ads. Unfortunately their web page designer has rendered the photos unseeable in the browser I'm using.

Fortunately we've got those direct links which bypass all that weird javascript razzmatazz which is so annoyingly non-portable. So you could argue that maybe because of all the extra work I'm going to to get at the photos, I should claim a better bargain, a lower price, like as if I bought a concert ticket and there was a column in the theatre right between me and the stage... But the unavoidable fact is that by going in the back door we're denying the publishers of gazeta.pl that brief peripheral advertising moment that is all they ask as their admission fee. So just to be on the safe side, I. conscience-ridden citizen, am going to do the right thing vis a vis their property rights, and give these publishers full value: so I go to their main page to look at banner ads.

Alas, they are in Polish! Now I'm not one of those language chauvinists who believes the world should speak my language for my convenience. Admittedly the fault is all mine. But I suspect that at least a quarter of the K5 readership, Hell, maybe even half, can't read Polish either.

Still, plunging blindly on in the interest of fairness, I offer the following transcriptions of these three (three should be enough) banner ads (least near good as I can make em out)

begin ads...

Here's a Flash banner with a cute little choo-choo train chugging from right to left! The train reads "Wakacyjna Gielda Informacji". I think this is a link to gazeta.pl's own "komputer" section, so if you want news and tips for your komputer that's the first place to go look!

Hey kids! Go see the movie Tomb Raider!!!!! It's got Angelina Jolie in it, she's really cute n sexy!!!!!

...ad says "Szkota jazdy rajdowego mistrza FRANCJI" and it shows some small European sports sedan - pic's too small to make out the brand, unfortunately - torque steering through a turn on a wet auto-X track. You could be having this much fun! Sell your lumbering SUV and buy a European sports sedan today! Start enjoying the ride to work again!

Finally (at the bottom edge of the home page) mad propz to our sponsors and 'quipment vendors at IBM, Sun, bea (?) and AltaVista. We at gazeta.pl couldn't have done it without you!

...end ads!

OK, there's your browser-independent ads (even work in Lynx!) so 'sall better now! Y'all read this post and you too will have paid the penny to see those cool Afghanistan pix.

Yours WD "invisible hand" K - WKiernan@concentric.net

America is false to the past,
false to the present,
and solemnly binds herself
to be false to the future.
- Frederick Douglas

Gazeta.pl (5.00 / 1) (#14)
by MSBob on Sun Jul 22, 2001 at 04:20:33 PM EST

Gazeta.pl is a portal to one of our national daily newspapers. It's probably one of the highest selling in terms of volume which is quite nice because it's quite ambitious too. I don't worry about them going bust anytime soon since many, many Poles buy gazeta daily as a matter of routine during their daily commute. The slant of the paper is fairly liberal with economy and finance being the main theme. It's the voice of our most liberal party "Unia wolnosci" (Liberty Union) which is led by the likes of Leszek Balcerowicz and Bronislaw Geremek.

Having said that I see your point. I enjoy having Gazeta online as I'm sure their budget is nowhere near the western monstrocities like Time-Warner and some such. Still they manage to purvey some outstanding journalism and political integrity. It's a pity they publish little in English.

I don't mind paying taxes, they buy me civilization.

Afghanistan 2001 | 15 comments (11 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)