Train Robbers in the 21st Century

By Mad Hughagi in MLP
Thu Jul 05, 2001 at 02:07:59 AM EST
Tags: Science (all tags)
Science

A recent American Institute of Physics Physics Today article reports that continual raids have been made by the government and theives alike at a solar neutrino detection facility in southern Russia in an attempt to secure precious gallium that is used in experiments carried out at the facility.

The Russian-American Gallium Experiment (SAGE) is designed to observe solar neutrinos that are produced by the sun. By studying these particles we can learn about various processes that occur in the sun, as well as insights into particle physics.

The scientific difficulties in performing these observations is enough of a hurdle to overcome, but on top of that they must remain aware of efforts directed at taking away their gallium supply.

SAGE currently has over 60 tons of liquid gallium, and at a price tag of over $500/kg it is no wonder that a poor economic situation has led common theives and the government alike into trying to obtain some of this precious material.

In the words of the SAGE director, "I am sure that this is not the last attack on us, but we are ready to defend our neutrino telescope."

The Lone Ranger of the future? Vigilante Scientists!

Who should own the gallium?
o Government 4%
o Scientists 43%
o Common Thieves 52%

o American Institute of Physics
o Physics Today
o article
o The Russian-American Gallium Experiment (SAGE)
o solar
o neutrinos
o Also by Mad Hughagi

Train Robbers in the 21st Century | 9 comments (5 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
A better approch (4.16 / 6) (#5)
by Legolas on Thu Jul 05, 2001 at 12:10:57 AM EST

The Lone Ranger of the future? Vigilante Scientists!

What? I'm quite sure more then just a neutrino telescope project is having problems in the New Russia. In Tuesday's Globe and Mail, there was a story about the takeover of the Canadian owned Yugraneft oil production company in Western Siberia by "About 20 heavily armed men". A quote from the article...

The Canadian government swiftly issued a protest. "From what we can tell, it looks like an illegal confiscation of assets," said Graham Rush, minister-counsellor for commercial affairs at the Canadian embassy in Moscow..

(I would link it, but the Globe doesn't cater well to it - just do a 7 day search for "Armed men seize Canadian oil firm")

I think this is less of a comment of 21st century bank robbery, and more of a social comment on the state of affairs in Russia. Gallium is being targeted simply because the obtainer can make money. It doesn't matter if it's Cola or Cocaine - whatever can make money.

This could be an interesting article if, instead of doing an MLP about one incident, you research somewhat and come up with a big mother article about lawlessness and crime in post-soviet Russia. I would enjoy reading about that.

--Legolas Greenleaf

The work. (5.00 / 1) (#6)
by Mad Hughagi on Thu Jul 05, 2001 at 08:23:50 AM EST

It seems as though you're more interested in these kinds of things than me. I simply digest the issues that come within my sphere. This was something that affected me. If you're on a conquest to right the world's wrongs, then that is cool, but don't bash me because I don't want to look for every opportunity to do so.

This article wasn't meant to be be focused on the social situation in Russia, it was meant to be MLP. If I wanted to write a story about the economic situation in Russia and how it has affected the russian people then I would have made this a different story. Right now it is simply something for people to read, regardless of what motivations I have for doing so.

Maybe since you are so interested you should follow up on this situation, I've done what I can, and surely, I would enjoy reading about it!
HUGHAGI INDUSTRIES

We don't make the products you like, we make you like the products we make.

And to add (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by Mad Hughagi on Thu Jul 05, 2001 at 08:42:56 AM EST

Since this article was presented in the form of Mindless Link Propagation I don't see the need to go into greater detail than that which I have covered. Your reply is equally important in further investigating the situation. At least I started the discussion, it seems as though you have no intention with your comment other than to discredit the main drive of my story.
HUGHAGI INDUSTRIES

We don't make the products you like, we make you like the products we make.

Ye dogs! (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by Perianwyr Stormcrow on Thu Jul 05, 2001 at 10:37:22 AM EST

Call the attack mutts off, I think one just pissed on my leg.

Defensive (5.00 / 1) (#9)
by Mad Hughagi on Thu Jul 05, 2001 at 10:46:36 AM EST

I would not have to unleash them, lest there were a reason.

Perhaps I should just ignore everything.

HUGHAGI INDUSTRIES

We don't make the products you like, we make you like the products we make.