One life for sale: Going, going, gone?

By localroger in MLP
Sun Aug 12, 2001 at 05:20:04 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

According to this story at washtech.com, graduate student John Freyer is selling everything he owns on EBay and documenting the results on his website. The last item to go? His domain name, allmylifeforsale.com.

I'm not sure whether this is art or adventure, stoopid or brilliant, but it sure has a cool ring to it. I just hope Freyer checks back and lets us know how the "road trip" goes.

o this story
o washtech.c om
o EBay
o website
o Also by localroger

One life for sale: Going, going, gone? | 9 comments (5 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
Disobey advertising (3.60 / 5) (#2)
by yosemite on Sat Aug 11, 2001 at 07:04:33 PM EST

This guy has the right idea.

It was something of a revelation to me when I heard someone say that the secret to happiness is not having what you want; it's wanting what you have.

There's the old cliche about people wanting to "keep up with the Joneses" -- but it's really worse than that -- they want to keep up with this artificial image of how they should live, built up by all the advertising they're constantly bombarded with.

[Signature redacted]

Stunt (none / 0) (#6)
by J'raxis on Sun Aug 12, 2001 at 12:22:29 PM EST

No, it's just another stupid inet stunt like the moron who tried to live off of e-commerce for a year or those people who webcam up their entire house so you can watch them 24 hours a day.

-- The Raxis

[ J’raxis·Com | Liberty in your lifetime ]

Getting rid of everything. (5.00 / 2) (#7)
by ucblockhead on Sun Aug 12, 2001 at 04:07:37 PM EST

I've got some bad news for the guy, being a fellow packrat myself. When I was about his age, I had the misfortune of having a fire that destroyed about 90% of what I own. Within five years, I had all new crap to replace the old destroyed crap. It is very, very hard to live a possessionless life.

I understand how the guy feels, though. Sometimes I look around at all the crap I have and wonder what the fuck I need it all for, why the fuck I bother with it, and would I really miss it all that much if it were to vanish tomorrow.

There was a period when I was younger where it got so bad that I rented a storage unit just to store the crap that wouldn't fit in my apartment. A couple years later, having not even visited the damn thing, I gave away or sold all of it. I'd spent two years paying to store crap that I obviously did not need. Nonsensical!

Now my wife and I are contemplating building a garage because our house is not big enough to store all our crap. Same as it ever was...

-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup

Yard Sale (none / 0) (#8)
by mold on Sun Aug 12, 2001 at 09:31:26 PM EST

Yippee, a yard sale on-line! Now I don't have to leave my house to rummage through all of someone else's possessions.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I just don't see anything really spectacular about this.

Beware of peanuts! There's a 0.00001% peanut fatality rate in the USA alone! You could be next!
right. (none / 0) (#9)
by Ubiq on Mon Aug 13, 2001 at 08:25:56 AM EST

what is this guy going to do next?