ratfscking the pundits

By MeanGene in MLP
Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 09:19:03 AM EST
Tags: Humour (all tags)
Humour

We often come across god-awful clueless people who manage to sneak their brain farts into the media. Question then is often raised, what to do about this? Here's an example.

Some of you perhaps remember a relatively recent story about a guy who claimed that Internet is doomed because it was designed by bunch of hippie anarchists. "Kind" people of eXile, a notorious alternative newspaper based in Moscow, Russia - who are famous for their pranks - decided to take up this issue. They have documented their exploits - a funny reading.

eXile is an actual "dead trees" newspaper in Moscow.

o example
o eXile
o documented
o Also by MeanGene

ratfscking the pundits | 20 comments (18 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
Well, those guys are assholes. (3.14 / 7) (#1)
by delmoi on Wed Aug 22, 2001 at 08:25:53 PM EST

This is an intresting story, I suppose. It's intresting to read about all the things they did to the guy. But they are assholes.

Maybe what this guy has to say shouldn't be taken with so much weight, And while I don't really have a problem with the pizzas and things like that, trying to fuck over the poor bastard legaly is really just evil.

Oh well.
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
Ends don't justify the means... ? (3.50 / 2) (#4)
by prana on Wed Aug 22, 2001 at 09:06:04 PM EST

But it sure is funny seeing those whose pathetic hypocrisy is insulated by majority culture get mercilessly prodded and jabbed. Makes the "powerful" feel helpless. That very human feeling really strikes home when you're the one feeling it instead of the "homeless people," "those Kosovo people," "West Coast hippies," and "incorrigible Reds."

It's not even that he did anything malicious or onerous. They're attacking his closed mind, and giving him a heaping teaspoonful of humanity.

On the other hand (4.66 / 3) (#11)
by aphrael on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 02:18:57 AM EST

outing him as an idiot in bad legal standing to the press is perfectly reasonable --- if they're going to quote him as an expert, they really ought to have investigated him first.

Pompous Ass (2.40 / 5) (#2)
by Da Unicorn on Wed Aug 22, 2001 at 08:52:21 PM EST

The pompous, self serving ass kinda deserves it.

Plus its hilarious when you think about it.

da

Mod me down [as usual] but I still think it was well worth the read.

I am picky...but... (2.90 / 10) (#3)
by theboz on Wed Aug 22, 2001 at 09:04:52 PM EST

I had to give this a -1 for a few reasons. The first was the "ratfscking" word. If you are too afraid to say ratfucking, then don't. Don't substitute some command to try and be cute, either say fuck or don't hint at it. Basically, shit or get off the pot.

Also, you could probably do a better writeup by listing the name of who they are picking on and maybe quoting him. As this stands it's just saying, "this newspaper called exile did some stuff to a guy." That's not really specific enough, even for MLP in my opinion.

It was a great link though, and I hated that I had to give this a -1 rating.

Stuff.

you are picky (2.25 / 4) (#10)
by CheSera on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 01:42:19 AM EST

The s/fuck/fsck switch doesn't bother me much, and I think it was done because not very one who visits K5 is cool with seeing the word "Fuck" on the front page. Its not a matter of being afraid to say it, its a matter of consideration for your fellow readers. Not to long ago there was a considerable amount of argument over the editing of a title to remove a vulgar word, and I think its rather smart to avoid that by replacing it with something less potentially offensive. Then again, its a free country. Vote as you will.

============
**TATDOMAW**
============

Well, I Actually (3.75 / 4) (#13)
by tomte on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 09:15:08 AM EST

read the word as rat-fs-ck-ing, which translates to "making a filesytem check on this ratfs-partition"
biased, yes, but nevertheless:
If you want to offend people, offend them and write the word correct, even if there are chances it will be edited. If you donīt want to offend people, well, there are a lot of words in the english language, pick one that fits...
Iīm personelly offended by these substitute-words. Curse,Swear or donīt, as you like: be honest and adult or behave like a adolescent that wants to rebel against its parents and donīt really dare to...
Funny. There's a brightness dial on the monitor, but the users don't get any smarter.
I will say it again. (3.50 / 2) (#15)
by theboz on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 01:46:28 PM EST

I don't think that the word would have necessarily been critical to the article so it could have been substituted with harassment or something else.

Stuff.

amusing (4.00 / 5) (#5)
by Arkady on Wed Aug 22, 2001 at 09:08:38 PM EST

I remember reading the article that set them off when it came out and thinking that something should be done to that fellow; now it has, and I guess I'll need to read the whole page to find out what.

I'm still voting + for this link, though I expect they probably went a bit over the top on him. ;-)

-robin

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world.

+1, or 2 if I could (3.50 / 6) (#6)
by Wah on Wed Aug 22, 2001 at 09:33:44 PM EST

I guess sarcasm wasn't enough. I especially liked the part "it seems Nolle himself wasn't following basic economic laws", like paying taxes.
Information wants to be free, wouldn't you? |
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY (3.00 / 3) (#7)
by prana on Wed Aug 22, 2001 at 09:44:09 PM EST

Neil Godin VS the Red eXiles!!

These provacateurs know it does the average joe good to see the cultural elite reduced to our least common denominator--pure humanity. It diminishes the sense of "power" that is afforded to a class of people who are often hucksters and fools. (this is not to say the provocation is never rudely forced on undeserving folks..)

And it's funny that their most effective tool is absurdly adolescent antics. Nothing like a cum-pie in the face to whack you down to size... take that, Homo sapiens!

This is funny but bad (3.87 / 8) (#9)
by localroger on Wed Aug 22, 2001 at 11:31:23 PM EST

...and so bad that I don't think it can be fixed.

Yeah, it's funny when eXile uses these techniques to harrass someone we don't like, but what happens when our enemies use those techniques to harrass us? Read the piece again and ask yourself how you'd respond if you'd somehow raised eXile's ire. It's not a pretty picture.

Don't get me wrong; I think the accountability angle of this is good. What bothers me is that there is no arbitration mechanism and no proportionality. Once eXile has targeted you, they use every means at their disposal to hurt you. And they aren't all too clear on how you can appease them and stop it if you're their victim. Suppose instead of ordering pizzas for him eXile had had the guy killed? It's been done (notably to abortionists), and will be done again.

I can haz blog!

How to appease them (none / 0) (#20)
by gjohnson on Sat Aug 25, 2001 at 02:31:03 PM EST

Have a sense of humor. They target people who take themselves too seriously.
I don't care. (0)
Seems a bit over the top. (3.33 / 3) (#14)
by LQ on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 10:35:15 AM EST

I don't see why they should harass the poor bloke so badly just for expressing the sort of barking right wing sentiments you see every day on K5.

Hang in there (none / 0) (#16)
by MicroBerto on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 01:54:00 PM EST

For those of you, like me, who get discouraged by long writings that start ambiguously and slowly, just keep on reading -- it's worth it! Once everything is setup and you get into the meat of it, the writings are great!

Berto
- GAIM: MicroBerto
Bertoline - My comic strip
That was hilarious. (none / 0) (#17)
by nstenz on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 05:08:38 PM EST

I certainly hope the guy deserved it all... It sounded like he deserved a little bit of harassment, but you never know... Has eXile ever claimed to be unbiased or impartial?

Damn those hippies... Great link.

Laser-eyed jelly-man with space-lemur on his back (3.50 / 2) (#18)
by Riktov on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 11:54:31 PM EST

I'm sorry, but anyone who puts god-awful "artwork" like this on his website just deserves everything he's got coming.

Even better... (none / 0) (#19)
by Kasreyn on Fri Aug 24, 2001 at 03:01:49 AM EST

...is the bit with the "Equine Custard Cream Pie" in the face of that arrogant snot of a Times reporter. Bravo! I think I like these eXile guys. =P

-Kasreyn

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
ratfscking the pundits | 20 comments (18 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective companies. The Rest Đ 2000 - Present Kuro5hin.org Inc.