Iran Rocks and Rolls!

By wiredog in MLP
Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 10:46:33 PM EST
Tags: Music (all tags)
Music

The Washington Post describes the official and unofficial pop music scene in Iran.

The Post reports on the official Iranian music industry and its pop star,Shadmehr Aghili, as well as the underground music scene. The creation of the official pop music is an attempt to lure young Iranians away from western music. An attempt which is, at best, only mildly successful. The underground markets in Tehran have the latest from by Eminem and 'N Sync and, because female performers are forbidden, recordings by Madonna and Britney Spears. The Iranian government is attempting to manage their countrys music despite the difficulties imposed by modern communications and the demand for western music. You can hear a sample of Official Iranian Pop (in Real format) here.

Official Iranian Pop Music
o Love it! I'm gonna move to Tehran! 6%
o It's better than 90% of the s**t on Clear Channel 51%
o My ears bleed 41%

o describes
o here
o Also by wiredog

Iran Rocks and Rolls! | 23 comments (23 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
sales rep to aisle 6 (4.66 / 3) (#1)
by prana on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 11:30:31 AM EST

someone left the demo button on the Cheez-o-Synth 3000

It's ugly... (3.00 / 1) (#2)
by jd on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 11:44:20 AM EST

...but "western music" is hardly the best it has ever been, either. You can count the number of truly original groups out there, at the moment, on one hand. Even if you're a gastropod.

What to say? (4.33 / 3) (#3)
by Anonymous 242 on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 11:58:27 AM EST

Between this and Greek Monks forming a rock and roll band to evangelize Cyprus, I think its time to say that rock and roll is no longer the language of rebellion.

Rock is dead.

-l

Real rock and roll is... (4.33 / 3) (#4)
by Faulty Dreamer on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 12:19:40 PM EST

The thing is, many "Rock" bands don't get what rock and roll actually is supposed to be about. The pop oriented bands, and this includes moronic corporate schlock-rockers such as Godsmack, Limp Bizkut (or however those idiots spell it), Kid Rock and the like, are driven by greed, either their own or the greed of the company execs they work for. The real rock bands today aren't the big pop idols. They are playing some shitty club, ignoring the chance to be superstars so that they can still be rebellious if they want, but more importantly, they can still be human. That's what rock and roll is actually supposed to be about, being yourself. Once money becomes a factor in the music (or government sponsored propoganda, as above) it ceases to be rock, at least in spirit. And isn't that what really counts?

Sorry, music is a touchy subject for me. I played in bands for years. Make it about the music, and enjoy yourself. That's what it should be.

--------
Faulty Dreams - Barking at the moon 24/7...

If you think I'm an asshole, it's only because you haven't realized what a fucking idiot I am. - Faulty Dreamer

rock (5.00 / 3) (#6)
by Anonymous 242 on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 12:41:34 PM EST

For me it was only a year. We practiced every week for about a year, played one gig and promptly broke up.

That's okay, we were horrible.

At one time in my life I would have undoubtedly agreed with you.

Nowadays, I dunno.

Rock is genre, or more accurately a family of genres, not a lifestyle. Otherwise we'd have to state that many folks singers (Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, Woody Guthrie), jazz musicians (it don't mean thing, if it ain't got that swing, do wop, do wop, do wop), country-western (Hank Williams, Sr.), and even classical musicians (Jacqueline DuPris) as rock stars.

Changing subjects, I'm excited about ye new machine Los Alamos Computers is building for me and my wife. After years and years, finally a machine with enough horsepower to seriously compose music. Eureka! While I'll never have enough manual dexterity to be an accomplished musician, I can write a decent tune.

Regards,

Lee Malatesta

Actually (5.00 / 2) (#7)
by wiredog on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 01:26:33 PM EST

I remember, in the early 80's, hearing country and folk acts on HFS and DC101 here in the DC area. These days the music (on radio) industry is so screwed up that one of the top selling country albums (the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack) can't get airplay.

If there's a choice between performance and ease of use, Linux will go for performance every time. -- Jerry Pournelle
Modern radio (OT) (4.00 / 1) (#13)
by 87C751 on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 04:29:07 PM EST

Welcome to the Brave New World of Consolidated Corporate Radio. Now that 90%+ of the stations are owned by one of the Big Three (Capital Cities (AKA Disney), Clear Channel and Infinity), you have just about zippo chance of hearing anything of artistic value. The "O, Brother..." soundtrack won't get airplay because it might frighten off one of those 18-27 demographic members and lose an ad impression. (It's depressing, since I think that's one of the best soundtrack collections to come out in recent memory) Things are so bad where I live that allI can stand to listen to is NPR and the jazz and traffic reports station. </rant>

My ranting place.

Even NPR (none / 0) (#17)
by wiredog on Fri Aug 24, 2001 at 08:42:55 AM EST

One of the local NPR stations here, WAMU, recently dropped bluegrass (which was where I heard O Brother) and went to all talk during the day. Which WETA, also local, already does. Two local stations playing the exact same shows at the same time.

Well... (none / 0) (#14)
by Faulty Dreamer on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 05:04:21 PM EST

To each his own I guess. I haven't actually picked up a guitar in months. But I still feel it burning within me. My wife asks me about it from time to time. It never really dies, if you have it.

The problem with classifying music by "sound" into genres is that you cover those that truly do it for the music and those that are paid lackeys. I'm sorry, but those two are far different from eachother, even playing the same "genre", than classical piano and heavy-metal guitar. I guess I have a problem considering rock and roll dead as well. It isn't. It's just in hiding.

(Go to Cleveland and check out the underground scene some time. There are still some bands playing real rock-and-roll, with attitude and aggression. It's hard to find their albums, but they are available through odd distributors. But, as I said, to each their own.)

--------
Faulty Dreams - Barking at the moon 24/7...

"Rock is Dead." Pete Townshend, 1978 (3.66 / 3) (#12)
by titivillus on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 03:15:14 PM EST

Rock is dead.
Personally, I doubt it ever was the music of rebellion, in any real sense. Rock got as many people dressing more or less the same as military service. I see videos of Rage Against the Machine with Zack leading the crowd in jumping up and down and chanting "FSCK ME! I'LL DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!" (or was that "FSCK YOU! I WILL DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!"?), I know that rock and individuality have very little to do with each other.

Actually... (none / 0) (#19)
by tripwyre on Fri Aug 24, 2001 at 10:45:20 AM EST

He says "FSCK YOU, I *WON'T* DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!"

Jonathan Groth

I know (4.00 / 1) (#23)
by titivillus on Mon Aug 27, 2001 at 03:21:41 PM EST

And 20,000 people are jumping up and down, doing exactly as he tells them. "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."

Wanting whatever you don't have (5.00 / 3) (#5)
by DesiredUsername on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 12:33:21 PM EST

"The underground markets in Tehran have the latest from by Eminem and 'N Sync and, because female performers are forbidden, recordings by Madonna and Britney Spears."

Read that again, slowly. 'N Sync and Britney Spears are underground music in Iran. Whereas here they are the Official Pop Music of ConformCo.

If Iran was smart, they'd send their "official artists" over here to play the part of "World Beat" artists in OUR underground music scene. When the Iranian music influence is felt over at ConformCo, the Iranians can re-import "Britney Aballah" CDs to flood their own underground music scene with driving out the "rebellious" stuff they have now.

This is also a funny point to bring up to the pseudo-world-traveller music types: "Ummm....aren't we listening to Shadmehr Aghili, the state-sanctioned 'artist' from Iran?" Proves that just because its from overseas doesn't mean its good.

Play 囲碁
Sandy (none / 0) (#8)
by core10k on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 01:38:28 PM EST

Ahem (clears throat)

boom shaka shak. etc etc Check it out! etc etc

So any Persian ladies in the audience want to get married... just for a little while... (wink wink nudge nudge)

btw, you people really don't know what you're talking about. You don't know anything about Iran, and I know only a bit more, so please, shut up. Here's a pop quiz - does Iran have a dictatorship, a deomcratic, or a theocratic government? If you don't know off the top of your head, well...

here's a few more (none / 0) (#9)
by core10k on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 01:47:53 PM EST

Do Persians have more in common, genetically, with Africans, Hitler's perfect race, or Arabs? Can you call farsi an arabic dialect? Am I a pompous ass?

DJ Reza! (none / 0) (#10)
by core10k on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 01:56:59 PM EST

Five(five) Four(four) Three(three) Three(three) Three (three) Three(three) Three(three) Three(three) Two(two) One(one) Boom. Dance floor.

TO answer (5.00 / 1) (#11)
by wiredog on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 02:11:07 PM EST

A semi-democratic theocracy. They're aryan/caucasian (so are the Afghans). Farsi is not Arabic.

hmm (none / 0) (#15)
by core10k on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 10:09:39 PM EST

My enjoyment of Kuro5hin just dropped a notch; did nobody have any reaction at all to my meager references to Iran pop music? Where's the worldliness? Surely someone other than me at least has some Persian friends and has something, anything at all to say about Persian culture? Jesus, I'm sick just thinking about it.

Persian culture (5.00 / 1) (#18)
by wiredog on Fri Aug 24, 2001 at 08:46:23 AM EST

I don't know much about it, though I know a little about Iran, as I showed in my post. The only Persians I got to know well were some neighbors I had in the early 80's who got out of Tehran about one step ahead of the firing squads during the revolution. Typical immigrant stroy, they came here with nothing but the clothes on their backs and sent their kids to the Ivy League.

heh (none / 0) (#20)
by core10k on Sat Aug 25, 2001 at 05:51:05 PM EST

I have a friend who's dad died of a heart attack just before the revolution; her mom lives a middle/upper middle class life back in Iran ( with servant(s?), etc. hmph ;-) ).

Another friend, sort of my ex girlfriend (don't ask, long story) actually, has a father with a phd and a nice car(Jaguar), and works for the government. She's currently saving up for a beemer (unless she hasn't already gotten it). Persians sure love their toys, and appearing stylish and classy.

Not that any of this is relevant, just throwing it out there for all to see.

Iranian pop music (none / 0) (#22)
by fenugeek on Mon Aug 27, 2001 at 06:49:47 AM EST

If anyone's interested there are a huge selection of choices on Live365 Website if one wants to hear Iranian music. Just search on Iran or Persia. I do admit that perhaps some of these singers, notably the female ones, may be expatriate by necessity.

Aryan, all the way. (none / 0) (#21)
by fenugeek on Mon Aug 27, 2001 at 06:46:56 AM EST

The Iranians are Aryan, i.e. Indo-European, and as such have much in common with Germans, Irish, and people from India. Its name, Iran is cognate with the word Aryan as well as with the Irish word for Ireland, Eire. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

So does India! (none / 0) (#16)
by Jin Wicked on Thu Aug 23, 2001 at 10:45:57 PM EST

My favourite musician!

Can you believe we bought his greatest hits CD?

This post was probably not written by the real Jin Wicked. Please see user "butter pie" for Jin's actual posts.

Iran Rocks and Rolls! | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)