Ant City - a nice game full of family values

By pmacko in MLP
Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 09:05:17 AM EST
Tags: Humour (all tags)
Humour

Here's a game with which you may waste a few minutes of your life.

Ant City

Enjoy it for the short period of time that it's on the queue.

Why will this story get voted off the queue?
o Not mindless enough 0%
o Belongs in MLP, not MLP 22%
o Rusty didn't post it 1%
o Use of <BR> instead of <P> in the extended copy 8%
o It's been on SlashDot for years, decades even 8%
o Most k5'ers suck ass 16%
o Game is damn near unplayable on a Pentium 90 running Linux 18%
o It's obviously pro-Microsoft 23%

o Ant City
o Also by pmacko

Ant City - a nice game full of family values | 29 comments (23 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)
Totally sick, and needs Flash too. (5.00 / 2) (#2)
by localroger on Tue Sep 04, 2001 at 08:53:48 PM EST

+1 section :-)

I can haz blog!

look mah! (2.66 / 6) (#5)
by core10k on Tue Sep 04, 2001 at 09:10:47 PM EST

a disrespect for physics (since when does a magnifying glass act differently when a button is pressed? eh, you know what I mean) and a blatant rip off of the 'i'm on fire' death scene from the game Grand Theft Auto. NOT impressive.

on a similar note (5.00 / 1) (#6)
by core10k on Tue Sep 04, 2001 at 09:13:36 PM EST

Does anyone know what the chronic disability Flash content creators have that makes it impossible for them to have increasingly difficult levels (as you progress ) in their games?

Physics of the game (4.75 / 4) (#9)
by localroger on Tue Sep 04, 2001 at 09:38:45 PM EST

since when does a magnifying glass act differently when a button is pressed?

Since "pressing the button" means "bringing the magnifying glass closer to focus." Think of the magnifier as being held at a constant height, just a bit above prime focus, and pressing the button lowers it a bit. Some, um, people I used to, like, know distantly when I was like a really young, you know, kid used to use this technique on actual ants because (they, um, said) if you keep the glass focused, the ants would like run from the spot (as some of the people in the game do).

Oh, don't forget to fry the tractor-trailer. It's important that you fry the tractor-trailer, since that's how you get to the next level of the game, which is titled "The End" or something like that.

I can haz blog!

yeah (none / 0) (#10)
by core10k on Tue Sep 04, 2001 at 10:01:59 PM EST

I noticed about blowing up the truck as a end game; that's why I mentioned the whole 'increasingly difficult levels' thing; it's like Flash creators only get half way done and they never balance the game mechanics, and their games end up horrifyingly dull as a result.

Grand Theft Auto (none / 0) (#23)
by ronin212 on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 10:35:39 AM EST

...is infinitely more pleasing than this, to be sure, but you have to admit it's kinda cool. After all, it's just a web page, not a real game.

Of course, I had to switch to the loathsome Win32 machine and run IE to see it, so maybe I should be pissed off.

Now is the time... get on the right side! You'll be godlike.
Play it offline too... (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by Anonymous Commando on Tue Sep 04, 2001 at 09:19:40 PM EST

Apparently this game was commissioned by E4.com (warning - excessive use of Flash on this site!), and they've got downloadable versions of this game for Windows (766 KB) and Macintosh (1.18 MB). Doesn't appear to be a Linux port at this time...
Corporate Jenga™: You take a blockhead from the bottom and you put him on top...
Linux (none / 0) (#16)
by mmcc on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 02:45:31 AM EST

In case you want to try it on Linux, the windows binary runs well with Wine.

Poodle (5.00 / 2) (#8)
by Elkor on Tue Sep 04, 2001 at 09:31:40 PM EST

I want to try to toast the poodle without the woman going up first. :)

Regards,
Elkor

"I won't tell you how to love God if you don't tell me how to love myself."
-Margo Eve
You seem to be a goal-oriented individual (NT) (4.00 / 1) (#13)
by joegee on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 12:47:36 AM EST

<sig>I always learn something on K5, sometimes in spite of myself.</sig>
I love it (none / 0) (#15)
by thunderbee on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 02:28:13 AM EST

just what I need to start a new day :-)

Netscape 4.7 (win nt) won't show a thing. (none / 0) (#17)
by NKJensen on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 04:52:03 AM EST

It runs fine with MS IE...
From Denmark. I like it, I live there. France is another great place.
More fun . . . (none / 0) (#18)
by neier on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 05:36:45 AM EST

Does heating a car speed it up?? I managed to get one to crash into a jaywalker. Blood! COOL!!

Beavis and Butthead (none / 0) (#19)
by MicroBerto on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 07:30:56 AM EST

You know, there used to be a pack of 3 Beavis and Butthead games that my friends and I would play constantly about 5 or 6 years ago. One of them had a magnifying glass to fry ants - but that one was the least fun.

The best one was the hock a loogie on people walking by the school game, and then there was a tennis game where you'd shoot people with the tennis gun.

Berto
- GAIM: MicroBerto
Bertoline - My comic strip

"Game pack" (5.00 / 1) (#25)
by fluffy grue on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 01:13:17 PM EST

What you're thinking of is the demo version of the Beavis and Butthead adventure game, which was a Sierra-style click-on-stuff adventure. There was a demo version which came on a number of magazine CDs which had those three minigames as the demo. The game itself did really poorly, though, mostly since the minigames weren't all that good and the ones which were in the full game (plus the adventure itself) were probably really damn boring.

I think the game was called "Beavis and Butthead: The Virtual Experience" or something like that. I'm sure it's in CompUSA bargain bins across the country.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

You know... (2.33 / 6) (#20)
by slaytanic killer on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 07:39:29 AM EST

Enjoy it for the short period of time that it's on the queue.
Want us to modstorm the people who voted -1? You know, we can do that.

And my first victim will be mcherm... (1.50 / 4) (#27)
by slaytanic killer on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 03:21:29 PM EST

do you think that a 1 rating can hurt me permanently!? Man, you'd better make me lose my trusted user status from this and my three other accounts, because I'm about to pop the cork on the whoop-ass that you'll never fully be able to stand up from.

Funny (none / 0) (#21)
by hulver on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 07:53:25 AM EST

When I was toasting someone they got run over & killed, then promptly got up and ran off when I set them on fire. Very funny.

HuSi!
Crashes my browser (none / 0) (#22)
by Sven on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 08:36:26 AM EST

It opened a new window and then crashed my browser (Mozilla 0.9.3 in Linux). Was something else meant to happen?

S

harshbutfair - you know it makes sense

Works for me (none / 0) (#26)
by Valdrax on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 01:42:49 PM EST

I'm using Mozilla 0.9.3 for Windows at work. It's a great little game. Try again, maybe with another browser.

Works for me (none / 0) (#28)
by panner on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 05:04:08 PM EST

Same setup (moz .9.3 on linux). Do you have flash installed? The game is flash (AFAIK, I don't know what else it could be :), so if you don't have it, moz may have gotten confused (shouldn't have, but who knows).

Keith Smiley
Get it right, for God's sake. Pigs can work out how to use a joystick, and people still can't do this!
Hmmm (none / 0) (#29)
by Sven on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 11:15:10 PM EST

I do have flash installed. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps flash couldn't start properly because the sound card was in use. I'd try it again, but I'm at work now and I'll probably forget later.

S

harshbutfair - you know it makes sense

That made my day! (3.00 / 1) (#24)
by kostya on Wed Sep 05, 2001 at 11:17:01 AM EST

Thanks. Frying little people like an invincible demigod, hearing their cries for help, watching them scurry in fear--ah, it made me very content.

----