Salon: SDMI Cracked

By kmself in News
Fri Oct 13, 2000 at 01:01:56 AM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

The record industry's Secure Digital Music Initiative watermarks have been broken. All of them.

On October 12, 1492, a new world was discovered. 508 years later, the music industry has found that the natives in yet another new world are neither freindly nor stupid.

SDMI had sponsored a $10,000 hacking a contest, which was widely boycotted by members of the programming community. Despite this, "solid" attacks on all of the watermarks were successful. The question now is how the SDMI is going ot proceed with its apparent raison d'etre quashed. Will the news be downplayed, or will their be a full airing of details?

o Secure Digital Music Initiative watermarks have been broken
o Also by kmself

Salon: SDMI Cracked | 11 comments (6 topical, 5 editorial, 0 hidden)
Dang. (2.00 / 5) (#1)
by ksandstr on Thu Oct 12, 2000 at 06:03:11 PM EST

Aww, crap. I'd have hoped that they crack it after RIAA and the other assholes started actually using it.

Fin.
Re: Dang. (3.00 / 1) (#7)
by XScott on Fri Oct 13, 2000 at 12:17:32 AM EST

Don't worry, they will. :-)

What they're trying to do seems futile. Even if they came up with a perfect watermark that does everything they want, it isn't going to stop me from capturing, copying and playing the music in whatever format I want to (if I choose to that is).

-- Of course I think I'm right. If I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind.
Heh. (2.20 / 5) (#2)
by aphrael on Thu Oct 12, 2000 at 06:06:01 PM EST

That didn't take long. Of course, if it's illegal to crack deCSS, we can just mack it illegal to crack SDMI, right? frustrated look

Re: Heh. (2.50 / 2) (#9)
by camadas on Fri Oct 13, 2000 at 01:48:15 AM EST

Well, maybe it's illegall in the US with DMCA et al, but so far your dumb laws don't count in the rest of the world.

DMCA = international agreement (4.00 / 3) (#10)
by speek on Fri Oct 13, 2000 at 08:40:27 AM EST

The DMCA satisfies international treaties (I don't remember which ones) that your country likely has signed. These treaties stipulate that the countries initiate legislation similar to the DMCA. So feel as smug as you like, but it won't help anything.

al queda is kicking themsleves for not knowing about the levees

SDMI NOT Cracked (3.00 / 1) (#11)
by Alternity on Mon Oct 16, 2000 at 04:48:44 PM EST

Actually the cracking of the SDMI has still not be confirmed. The different submission are still under review. While it doesn't mean it has been cracked it means that we still can't be sure it has all been cracked. This trend in posting information on news site before verifying it is becoming scary. Makes you wonder if it was made by mistake or knowingly and if so why?

"When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun...
so one day when I was six I did
"
Salon: SDMI Cracked | 11 comments (6 topical, 5 editorial, 0 hidden)