Gates on the future of the PC

By sugarman in News
Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 01:51:23 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

It looks like 'Money' was the keynote speaker at this years Comdex in Las Vegas. In it, he talked about the future of computing, and what the PC might become. Another briefinterview with him is here.

Now, despite what many of the k5 community may fell about Gates' and the software his company makes, whatever direction MicroSoft takes is likely to have a deep impact on the way the rest of use computers, either for work or leisure. Our lives are likely to be affected by .NET, C#, and anything else that comes out of Redmond. So it would probably wise to take a look at what they are thinking, and be prepared to deal with it.

Of note from the keynote:

• The browser-based model of the internet is showing its age and is on the decline
  • Peer-to-peer may not be the next big thing, rather "software-to-software"
  • PCs are likely to resemble the Tablet / Webpliance model

Personally, I don't agree with everything he said or presented. "Software-to-software" sounds a lot like markteting drivel to me. But MicroSoft does seem to be committed to Gates' vision. I can see the sense behind the push to segment the market into Workstation / Games Console / Webpliance, all running some version of M$ software (hey why have one machine that does everything when you can have three).

But what about you. What do you thin about Microsoft's future direction, and how it is likely to affect you?

• Sponsors

When I call Bill, I call him:
    o Your Infernal Majesty 9%
    o Sir 6%
    o Money 9%
    o Lord of the BSOD 29%
    o Bastard 35%
    o Inoshiro 10%

o Comdex
    o talked
    o interview
    o Also by sugarman

Gates on the future of the PC | 13 comments (5 topical, 8 editorial, 0 hidden)
    I agree with his opinion on dumb clients (3.75 / 12) (#2)
    by Carnage4Life on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 04:21:16 AM EST

Lots of companies are beginning to act like PCs are powerful enough and we should move computing 2 decades back to the era of dumb terminals and powerful servers. Bill Gates is correct in stating that the PC is yet to live up to its full potential.

Everytime someone writes the PC's eulogy and claims it's over for the desktop computer some killer app shows up to make mincemeat of the pundits. Web appliances were supposed to spell the death of the PC, after all most people only browse the web, right? Unfortunately these devices cannot do everything that a PC can do and once they can, new functionality for 1 GHz machines with 512MB of RAM will be found.

Currently Napster and peer-to-peer networking has given the PC an extended lease on life and once someone figures out how to dumb down the clients needed for that and do all the work on ultra-powerful servers a new CPU-intensive and memory hungry use for PCs will be found. I am very interested in comments a friend of mine who used to work at MSFT made about the fact that Microsoft Research have come up with a bunch of killer AI applications [mostly involving Bayesian networks and using AI to create smarter help systems that learn and can predict user behavior] that can't run on current machines due to resource restrictions.

The PC isn't dead yet and won't be for quite a while.

Talking of Bill... (4.36 / 33) (#7)
    by codemonkey_uk on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 06:28:37 AM EST

This may well be way out of line, but for some reason this story *totally* reminded me of a joke, which I will post below. Funny. Anywho, if your not "down" with the occational joke on k5, then I'm sorry, mod me down & I won't do it again. If you are, read on:
    I was in the airport VIP lounge en route to Seattle a couple of weeks ago. While in there, I noticed Bill Gates sitting comfortably in the corner, enjoying a drink.

I was meeting a very important client who was also flying to Seattle, but she was running a little bit late.

Well, being a straightforward kind of guy, I approached the Microsoft chairman, introduced myself, and said, "Mr. Gates, I wonder if you would do me a favour."

"Yes?"

"I'm sitting right over there," pointing to my seat at the bar, and I'm waiting on a very important client. Would you be so kind when she arrives as to come walk by and just say, 'Hi, Ray,'?"

"Sure."

I shook his hand and thanked him and went back to my seat.

About ten minutes later, my client showed up. We ordered a drink and started to talk business.

A couple of minutes later, I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Bill Gates.

"Hi, Ray," he said.

I replied, "F*ck off, Gates, I'm in a meeting."

Thad
    poll has an option of Bastard? (2.75 / 8) (#8)
    by unstable on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 10:05:50 AM EST

there is no way, no how, that that evil slime can attain the high rank of Bastard. It take hard work, years of training, and a grueling LART based workout to attain that status. he is not and never will be a bastard... @sshole maybe. not bastard

Reverend Unstable
    all praise the almighty Bob
    and be filled with slack

It's *all* marketing nonsense. (2.87 / 8) (#9)
    by marlowe on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 11:05:41 AM EST

And it has nothing to do with the future of the industry.

Gates is absolutely right! (3.00 / 5) (#13)
    by error 404 on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 11:48:05 AM EST

In his view, server software will enable "information agents" that can filter and prioritize all the different messages being sent to a person.

And that is exactly true: Tonight, when I go home, my ISP's server will enable my information agent kmail to filter and prioritize all my messages.

If that isn't software-to-software, what is it?
    ..................................
    Electrical banana is bound to be the very next phase
    - Donovan

Gates on the future of the PC | 13 comments (5 topical, 8 editorial, 0 hidden)