Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement

By ramses0 in News
Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 02:41:30 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

New users to this site (like me) probably don't know what to submit, so they end up submitting stories like this. :^)= It would be nice if our host Rusty would maybe give some sort of guidance (or even better, if readers would make their preferences known by commenting).

[editor's note, by rusty] Good question, and I suppose it's time I addressed this. Read on for more of the question, and maybe an answer.

Update [2000-2-14 7:42:37 by rusty]: Now we have a mission statement. There's a link at the top of the page too. And an FAQ too! Bonus!

ramses0 continues: Heh. Here's some even more interesting text here. But seriously... I think slashdot has the "slashdot-style" stories covered... is this sites focus on geeks (probably), on their social lives, etc? What do you think?

Ok, I didn't really want to have to answer this question, but it's clear that some sort of direction is needed. I know I wouldn't submit stuff to a site if I didn't have a clue what the site's purpose was, so I can't expect any of you to, either. And be warned, what I'm about to write will not necessarily "answer" the question. I agree with ramses0 (never thought I'd find myself publicly agreeing with someone who might be named after a condom, but nevertheless...), that the readers should ultimately decide what they want the site to be. That's what story moderation is about, after all. But to get there, I guess there has to be enough focus that people know why they're reading the site in the first place. So here's my best shot.

I started kuro5hin.org because sometimes things come out of my head, and I wanted a place to put them. I write a lot of code, and believe me, it'll eventually drive you nuts if there isn't some sort of outlet that doesn't involve runtime parsing, or hash references.

I guess I'd consider myself a "geek," except that that word is becoming (thanks in part to everybody's favorite cultural succubus, Jon Katz) the "Gen X" of the 21st century. And it'll only get worse. So I want to publicly state, right now, that I will strive in every way to never refer to kuro5hin.org as "geek-" anything. Let's just put that word to rest right now, so we don't all look stupid when the TV people really latch on to it. Trust me, you'll thank me in about 6 months.

Kuro5hin started out using the slash engine (the old crappy one, not the new crappy one), but I quickly because irritated by a lot of things about that code, so I went and wrote my own, like about a billion other people. At some point, while I was working on Scoop, I started to actually care about making kuro5hin.org an interesting thing for people to look at. Weird. So I make an effort to write something original every couple days, at least, and I even tell people about the site, and try to get them to take a look.

And now I've gone and gotten myself a bunch of registered users that I have to please. So what are we supposed to be about here? Well, the main things that interest me are technology and culture. Not necessarily both together (although I often find it interesting how technology and culture interface), but those two general categories. I work with computers, my whole life is networked, I write code. So there's the technology side. But I also read a lot of books (generally 3-5 a week, although Underworld is taking me forever), watch a lot of movies, and generally keep an active eye on what's going on in the world. So there you have your culture. If you page back through what's been posted here before (and you can do that now!), you'll see that I don't actually write about computer stuff that much. So far it's been of the category "Random stuff from my head."

What would I like to see kuro5hin become? For one thing, I miss the slashdot community that used to be. I'd like to build a community of people who have interesting things to say. I'm not all that interested in posting stories about the latest whiz-bang gadget, or who's doing open-source this week. Like ramses0 says, that's covered by every third site on the web already.

I guess what I have in mind is a community of people who like to think about stuff, and some interesting stuff for them to think about. As I've said, I'm interested in thinking about technology and culture. I feel qualified to talk about technology because I use and create technology on a daily basis. I feel qualified to talk about culture because I've done cultural studies at a major, overrated East-Coast American institution of higher "learning," and I learned that any old jerk is perfectly qualified to talk about culture. I'd like to have other people around who also know what they're talking about, especially if it's to tell me I'm full of shit. :-)

So that's about all the help I can give you. I'll write up a more concise and general "mission statement" and put it up here too, for those that don't feel like wading through all this logorrhea of mine. In the spirit of having a purpose, I'm also instituting a new, and potentially permanent, site slogan. From now on, this page will be known as kuro5hin.org: technology and culture, from the trenches. Expressing, I hope, that I want this site to be about what people like us are immersed in every day.

And, in case all this talking about myself has misled anyone, I really don't want to be the main author on the site. When there's a week that new stuff goes up every day, and I didn't write any of it, I'll be happy. When there's a week that new stuff goes up every day, and I didn't even have a hand in posting any of it, I'll feel successful. So when you have some thoughts on something, and you think it's worth posting somewhere that isn't yet a howling vortex of trolls and spam, please do consider submitting it here.

Agree? Disagree? Think that the niche I'm aiming at is already better served? Have a better idea? Let us know.

o Slashdot
o Scoop
o Kuro5hin
o mission statement
o FAQ
o Underworld
o Also by ramses0

Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement | 53 comments (53 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (2.00 / 1) (#1)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 10:27:36 AM EST

Your site looks nice. And it is faster than /.

I am a coward, not a hero :-)

Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (3.00 / 1) (#2)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 10:45:55 AM EST

me again - one thing, your domain name isn't the easiest thing to remember :-( (and my bookmarks don't save).

Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (none / 0) (#3)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 10:47:30 AM EST

I am a coward, not a hero :-)

It's an experiment in subliminal psychology. My theory is that all the AC's got so annoying because they were constantly being called cowards. I think the anon account should be used for the heroic exposure of greed, corruption, and bad ugliness everywhere (without getting your own ass fired, of course).

And hey, if you're that committed to being a coward, the username "Anonymous Coward" is still available. ;-)

As for kuro5hin being faster than /., well that's just cause I have approximately 1/10^6th their traffic. But thanks.

Not the real rusty

Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (3.00 / 1) (#6)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 10:50:33 AM EST

it doesn't matter if you're getting less traffic - its just that it loads nice and fast, so i'm more inclined to stay around. besides, /. was getting tedious.

Traffic (5.00 / 1) (#29)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 01:26:29 PM EST

Sorry, your traffic will soon be massively increased, if only for the reason that i am an obsessive compulsive reloader!

Can we submit our own articles here? (not katz-stylee note and not that i am planning to in the near future!)

Re: Traffic (3.00 / 1) (#34)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 02:15:17 PM EST

Yes, hit the "submit story" link at the top or bottom of the page.

Not the real rusty
Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (3.00 / 1) (#4)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 10:48:48 AM EST

why is it called kuro5hin anyway? that isn't in your FAQ. bit of an odd name?

p.s. you don't need to have the whatever-place-thing dept like slashdot does, i always thought that was a bit sad. maybe something else could go there instead?

Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (none / 0) (#15)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 11:32:37 AM EST

maybe something else could go there instead?

Like what?

Not the real rusty

Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (4.00 / 1) (#18)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 11:47:05 AM EST

mmm, not sure, but either your site is an enhanced /. or more than just a /. clone, and getting rid of the obvious similarities would be part of being more. I mean hey, it says 'powered by scoop' not 'powered by slash'. Maybe there doesn't need to be anything there at all, for the simpler, less cluttered approach.

Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (3.00 / 1) (#19)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 11:51:24 AM EST

whilst talking about aesthetics, it would be nice if the editor's comment looked different to the submitted comment, as I find it makes it easier to read, and I think the page might look nicer. that's just a suggestion - I already like your pages :-)

dep't (4.00 / 1) (#20)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 11:55:44 AM EST

It's a reimplementation of what I liked about slash, without all the crap. But the code's all original (and GPL'ed, and available at scoop.kuro5hin.org).

I don't know what I'd put there either. I'll ponder that.

Not the real rusty

Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (5.00 / 1) (#21)
by hattig on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 12:00:12 PM EST

Nothing?

It would be a lot cleaner - less clutter in the way of information.

Hmmm. I like the dark blue, it is nice. If the "Posted by Blah on Blah at Blah" text had a light blue background, and you dumped the "from the Ancient Fish department" text, as it doesn't give any relevant information. Editor's notes could be in italic, in another colour to differentiate it from the story text.

And the "Read More... 78 comments" text should be inside the story box, IMNSHO.

Just trying to be helpful, btw. I know there is a lot of work to do, and you have to get more readers.

Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (3.00 / 1) (#22)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 12:09:53 PM EST

Just trying to be helpful, btw.

And you absolutely are being helpful. I appreciate feedback about stuff like this. And honestly, most of these things are absurdly easy to change. Almost all the visual layout is done through a web interface anyway, so it's not like it's costing me much time tweaking this stuff.

I was thinking italics for the notes and updates too. The other suggestions... I'll try them out. Expect to see some things look funny for the next few minutes :-)

Not the real rusty

Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (5.00 / 1) (#24)
by hattig on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 12:51:59 PM EST

That looks nice, to me anyway!

An idea, if the look is web-based, could this be adapted to a per-user basis? You could have the first "Themed" discussion page... :-)

Person X wants a red page with the "from the Pig Sty" messages, with a lime green background for each story outline... Person Y wants a black background with yellow text and in "Ancient Gothic Eroded" font.

Maybe the "read More" line should also be on a light blue background, I am not sure.

On the other hand, I don't want to see kuro5hin.themes.org... and it would take a little more time than simply changing a few settings to achieve.

Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (3.00 / 1) (#36)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 03:04:52 PM EST

Yeah, that would be more complicated than just changing the settings. But it could be done. Hell, anything can be done.

Maybe I'll post a little story with some of the ideas that would take more work and see what people would most like to have.

Not the real rusty

Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (none / 0) (#23)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 12:41:36 PM EST

Hey, how's that? I don't know if I like the blue or not. Might make it grey like the boxes. But the rest were all good ideas I think.

Not the real rusty
Re: Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement (none / 0) (#25)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 12:53:44 PM EST

the blue is nice.

Nice Looking Site (with BUG) (none / 0) (#5)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 10:49:21 AM EST

I like the site, very clean and looks a lot nicer than Slashdot. There are no boring greys like you get with Slashdot either, so that is great.
What sort of stories are you going to have here eventually? More science oriented than that other place, or computery stuff, but interesting, not the same old Linux stuff that slashdot spews out all the time.
Please, no patent stories or Jon Katz-a-likes.
:-)

Ooh, why does it keep on adding returns into my submission? BUG ALERT!

Re: Nice Looking Site (with BUG) (none / 0) (#7)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 10:52:36 AM EST

hello fellow anonymous hero :-)

excellent point: no jonkatz!! and hopefully not too much linux advocacy. there's newsgroups for that :-)

Re: BUG ALERT! (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 10:53:59 AM EST

Dammit, I just noticed that too. You know what really sucks? I added that bug this morning. I did an update, and I'm pretty sure the only thing it accomplished was adding that bug. Man, oh man. Some days huh? :-)

As for content, well, for one thing, read this story :-). Also, check out the mission statement. If it's any consolation, I hate patent stories too. And If anyone's gonna write about "geek culture" (ewww) here, you can be damn sure it'll be a qualified programmer, at least.

Not the real rusty

Americanism vs Worldism (4.00 / 1) (#9)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 10:57:57 AM EST

Another gripe I have with /. is its American orientedness. Especially when they post a story saying "TV channel shows really cool program at 5pm EST" - not much use to the rest of the world. And JonKatz really goes on about Americans and American culture etc. Can you have content for truly a global audience? :-)

Re: Americanism vs Worldism (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 11:12:23 AM EST

Please submit content! If you want stories about Europe, well, submit stories about Europe! And the same goes for the rest of the world. There are a ridiculous number of different countries in my server logs (in the thirties, at last count), so I know it's not just Americans reading this. I will post anything that's interesting, wherever it's from. And I'll even try to remember that there's a whole world out there. I do live in DC though, and we don't really think of ourselves as Americans anyway. "You mean there's more to the country? Well, everything important happens here anyway." :-)

Not the real rusty
Re: Americanism vs Worldism (3.00 / 1) (#13)
by hattig on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 11:21:18 AM EST

Whenever a story is submitted that includes a time in it (say 14:30 GMT) it would be great if it was adjusted to the users timezone!

Maybe you could add a type of tag to the allowable html tags? Or maybe not, it would be a lot of hassle... but the end result would be worth it. Just something that could be intercepted by the parser and converted into a usable format by the parser.

Could stories be tagged as to which audience they would be useful for, so that users can choose not to view "US Only" or "Japan Only" stories, or to view stories in French only. That would be much more flexible than the Slashdot system (Apache, BSD, etc)...

Re: Americanism vs Worldism (4.00 / 1) (#14)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 11:31:51 AM EST

...Just something that could be intercepted by the parser and converted into a usable format by the parser.

That's a tall order. You know what I could do though. How about this-- in your user prefs, you could select your preferred timezone. Then when you're logged in, the system could convert all the date/time's to your local time.

Could stories be tagged as to which audience they would be useful for...

Another toughie. The categorization here is not terribly flexible at the moment. It's a young application. What I have in mind, ultimately, for kuro5hin.org, and the Scoop software that runs it, is to make a network of interacting weblogs, that have different focuses, but can share stories, comments, and users interchangably. Users could just read one of them, which would be human-edited for a particular topic, or could perhaps assemble their own out of content submitted to all the scoop sites. Basically, anyone could download and run the scoop software and participate in the larger network.

There are a lot of issue to resolve in implementing this, but I think maybe it'll get there someday. Then you'll have all kinds of flexibility as to what you see and what you ignore. :-)

Not the real rusty

Re: Americanism vs Worldism (4.00 / 1) (#16)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 11:43:33 AM EST

How about this-- in your user prefs,
convert all the date/time's to your local time.

That would be good. Maybe I should log in :-)

Re: Americanism vs Worldism (none / 0) (#17)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 11:45:27 AM EST

Just to be clear, it doesn't do this yet. I'm speculating about the possibility of implementing such a thing.

That said, yes, you should log in.

Polls (2.00 / 1) (#10)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 11:01:17 AM EST

Can you have polls? I like polls. Polls are good. :-)

Re: Polls (3.00 / 1) (#11)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 11:08:03 AM EST

I'm adding features to Scoop just as fast as I can. Polls are coming soon, though. Everybody loves polls. I certainly like them.

Not the real rusty
Re: Polls (5.00 / 2) (#49)
by Paul Dunne on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 12:36:20 PM EST

I bagsy first poll idea!

Would you prefer your Natalie Portman:
a) Naked
b) Petrified
c) Naked and Petrified
d) Rusty sucks!

OK, OK, I'll never do it again, I promise!

Re: Polls (4.50 / 2) (#52)
by rusty on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 01:14:41 PM EST

OK, OK, I'll never do it again, I promise!

You better not. Seriously. "Rusty sucks" is fine, but the rest of the poll is right out. I already deleted a "naked & petrified" yesterday, and I don't want to have to make it a habit.

I understand, it was a joke, BTW. :-)

But still...

nested? (none / 0) (#26)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 01:02:23 PM EST

is there a way of reading all the comments nested? i rather like that about /. i hate their flat version tho.

Re: nested? (none / 0) (#40)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 04:19:11 PM EST

I totally agree with this statement. It's pretty easy to code nested viewing, but it bangs on the database a lot harder (a performance thing)...

Something that might be nice is to "cache" a static page with nested articles. Only update that nested view every five minutes, or half hour or something. I personally -will-not-read- comments that dont nest, unless the subject lines are really good.

Re: nested? (none / 0) (#42)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 04:25:33 PM EST

Yeah, I could do it, but comments are already hard on the DB. Course, that's my lazy coding, but still. :-)

I'll eventually have to do some static page caching, and when I get around to it, I'll probably display comments nested. I hate flat comments too. They're totally senseless-- you can't tell what is supposed to be replying to what.

Not the real rusty

Re: nested? (none / 0) (#48)
by Paul Dunne on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 12:33:52 PM EST

The software "knows" what comment a new comment is being posted as a
reply to (I really should have been able to phrase that better...).
Wouldn't it be possible to include this in the comment header? Like:
"comment number #; reply to number #". I like flat mode, and I never
found it too troublesome to figure out who was talking to who on /.
comment owners? (none / 0) (#27)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 01:05:10 PM EST

who is this mrs. edna person? why does she own everyone's comments? ;-)

Re: comment owners? (none / 0) (#28)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 01:12:28 PM EST

Added to the FAQ. Thanks for reminding me.

Not the real rusty
FAQ question (4.00 / 1) (#30)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 01:31:25 PM EST

i have another question: who are the people behind it ... it is just you rusty or is there anyone else? what will you do if the site starts getting bigger? who can moderate? is there metamoderation or karma style stuff?

wizards first rule: people are stupid

Re: FAQ question (none / 0) (#32)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 02:05:16 PM EST

Much as I would like to be an extensive and well-trained squadron of geurrilla webmasters, it's just me. I wrote the code, I made (most of) the images, it's all just little ol me.

If the site starts getting bigger, I imagine I'll be pleased. I won't answer every comment post like this, though, so don't get used to it. I honestly don't know what I'd do. Ask for help I suppose. Anyone want to help? :-)

Not the real rusty

Re: FAQ question (none / 0) (#35)
by Fish on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 02:41:18 PM EST

Me and Hattig would :-)

graphics (none / 0) (#31)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 01:34:34 PM EST

what software did you use to do the graphics with? do people actually use a 'my netscape' thang?

Re: graphics (none / 0) (#33)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 02:08:28 PM EST

1) The Gimp (except for a couple bits of clipart)
2) I don't know. I figured my .rdf might as well be good for something. :-)

Karma (3.00 / 1) (#37)
by joeyo on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 04:05:55 PM EST

For God Sakes man, never, ever, ever make use of karma!

Also I think there is a bug thats not letting me login as "me". I could be wrong though, we'll see who this post gets posted as...

Re: Karma (4.00 / 1) (#38)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 04:08:49 PM EST

You need to have cookies enabled, and allowed from here, to login as you. But it looks like the post went ok. If you can't seem to log in, you can just enter you uname/passwd when you post a comment. As long as the values are there when you hit "post" it'll post as you.

Not the real rusty
Re: Karma (none / 0) (#39)
by joeyo on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 04:15:04 PM EST

You're absolutely right. It must be cookies. Hmm. Netscape says its accecpting cookies. (4.5 / mac) but I'm still having to do the login-when-I-post thing. As far as I can tell the only functionality that I loose if I login this way is story moderation...

Ok Just checked Slashdot and cookies are working there so.... hmmm....

Re: Karma (5.00 / 1) (#41)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 04:22:53 PM EST

Try enabling "warn me before accepting cookies" in your netscape prefs. You should get one cookie from this site whenever you load a page. The name and value are "session=[some numbers]." If this doesn't appear when you try to log in, well, there's a problem. Are you using a proxy, like squid or something? I have cookie issues with proxies sometimes.

Not the real rusty
Re: Karma (none / 0) (#43)
by joeyo on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 04:26:59 PM EST

> Try enabling "warn me before accepting cookies" in your netscape prefs.

Check. No luck with that either. Basically if I login from the front page I will get a "box" with my name on it (but no cookie warning). And if I reload the page, it is as if I am logged off.

I am right now in a computer lab so I have no idea if there is a proxy or what (I don't think so though). I'll check again when I get home.

Re: Karma (none / 0) (#44)
by rusty on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 04:35:07 PM EST

If no cookie warning appears, then the cookie's not getting through to you. The box with your name on it appears because the username/password will take the place of the cookie, but only for that one request. You must be behind a firewall or proxy of some kind that doesn't let cookies through. And if you're in a computer lab, I wouldn't be surprised. Sorry about that. You can still post as you by filling in the name/pass. I know it's a pain, but there's nothing I can do really.

Not the real rusty
a followup (4.00 / 1) (#50)
by joeyo on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 12:58:01 PM EST

Youre prolly not going to read this rusty, but for anyone that cares, the problem was limited to just that particular computer. Other computers in the lab, my box at home, etc. all work fine.

Re: a followup (4.00 / 1) (#51)
by rusty on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 01:11:05 PM EST

Youre prolly not going to read this rusty

No such luck :-)

Actually, I think it was my problem. I'm gonna guess that when you had this problem you were looking at http://kuro5hin.org/. The problem was that the cookies were keyed to www.kuro5hin.org, thus they never got set if the 'www' wasn't there. I have Apache redirecting all requests to www.kuro5hin.org now, so it should work. It was my fault after all .

Not the real rusty

Re: a followup (3.00 / 1) (#53)
by joeyo on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 02:47:49 PM EST

Ahh I nver thought of that.. That would explain why other sites that used cookies worked. Good work on the bug fixins and I'm glad if I helped in any way... :)

Btw, do you have some way of telling if a new comment has just been posted or do you just reload compulsively? :)

Re: Karma (2.00 / 1) (#45)
by Anonymous Hero on Mon Feb 14, 2000 at 04:36:03 PM EST

moderate this up!

It's good to be the un-slashdot. (4.00 / 1) (#46)
by Nyarlathotep on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 02:14:15 AM EST

I am curious what everyone's views on the posting of civil liberties stuff. I have noticed that slashdot ignores many techno civil liberties type stories.. and runs the ones they do carry into the ground! We will probable find that moderation of submissions helps widen the discussion (have I mentined that moderation of submissions rules).

Also. how how much simillarity should we allow with slashdot stories?

Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!
Re: It's good to be the un-slashdot. (5.00 / 1) (#47)
by rusty on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 05:50:56 AM EST

I am curious what everyone's views on the posting of civil liberties stuff.

Best way to find out-- submit stuff and see if it gets moderated up. :-)

Also. how how much simillarity should we allow with slashdot stories?

I don't see much overlap happening. Considering they mostly post "news" stories about mergers & acquisitions, the latest patent and trademark outrage (blah), Stories about DVD's, and articles about Mirosoft. If /. still posted things I found interesting, I wouldn't need my own site.

Rule of thumb, I'd say don't post a story that's just a link to a slashdot story. Everyone here who would care already reads slashdot. If they're running an item, and you have some fresh take on it, or new info, by all means submit it.

My philosophy here is to be less a "news" site than a commentary site. There's already a billion news sites. The world doens't really need another one. But Inoshiro's article today on the DDoS InfoWorld thing is a good example. It's not about the DDoS, per se. It's about our reaction to the idiocy that gets spewed by the media every time something in the tech world makes the front page. That's the sort of thing I'm aiming at here.

And not just for technology, neither! I have other interests too, as do all of you. So, basically, if it's interesting, submit it! I'll leave the definition of "interesting" up to you.

Not the real rusty

Kuro5hin.org Needs a Mission Statement | 53 comments (53 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)