Fonts in Linux?

By rusty in News
Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 10:32:45 AM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

A.H. wants to know, here is a quick rubbishy question for you: how do you install extra fonts on your Linux box? You must have, cos you said you used the gimp. I don't really fancy using Arial or Lucida Sans to do my images with :-( and was wondering how to get nifty fonts to work. Cheers. Read below for my answer, and if anyone has better solutions, post away!

I'm prersonally a big fan of xfstt. It's a font server daemon that works with X to provide good, easy, TrueType font support. It's available all over the place, including my favorite source of RPM's rpmfind.net. A quick Google search will turn up lots of links as well.

The basic gist is, you install the package, you add a line to your XF86Config that tells it to get fonts from the proper port on your local machine (the port that xfstt listens to), and you put some TrueType fonts in a folder (the xfstt docs say which one it wants them to be in). Start xfstt, restart X and you're golden.

As for where to get TT fonts, for that you're on your own. I generally just slurp them off the nearest convenient windows box, cause there's always a pile of 'em in there, but I know there are lots of other sources out on the web. Anyone?

There are other options for X TrueType support, and some might be better than xfstt. That's just the one I'm familiar with. If you have another solution, let us know!

o Google
o rpmfind.ne t
o Also by rusty

Fonts in Linux? | 7 comments (7 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Re: Fonts in Linux? (none / 0) (#1)
by hattig on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 10:48:51 AM EST

I use xfstt as well. It is very good, and you can access your windows fonts as well if the windows partition is mounted:

In the xfstt fonts directory (/usr/local/ttfonts/ say) create a symlink to /dos/Windows/Fonts/ (or whatever), and then the Windows fonts show up (in xfontsel at least) as their own family of fonts. These can be used like any other font in any software including Netscape and the Gimp.

I find most fonts to be a bit naff - getting good quality free truetype fonts can take a long time. Most fonts only have novelty value in truth.

Re: Fonts in Linux? (none / 0) (#2)
by Paul Dunne on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 11:59:49 AM EST

Why do you use a font server? My XF86Config just has lines of the form
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
What would be the advantages of using a font server on a stand-alone box?
Re: Fonts in Linux? (none / 0) (#3)
by rusty on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 12:05:14 PM EST

I was under the impression that TrueType fonts couldn't be used just with a FontPath pointed at a directory of them.

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Fonts in Linux? (none / 0) (#4)
by Demona on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 12:54:45 PM EST

Even on a stand-alone box, the 'proper' way (according to Unix type philosophy) is to run a server providing a service, and point your client at 'localhost' (Quake3 and FreeCiv do this!). And at some point in the future (if/when) the box IS connected to other 'puters, you're all ready to provide the service to everyone/anyone you choose on the network.

Also, if you haven't yet, check out the Font De-Uglification Mini-HOWTO. It covers xfstt as well as a few other tweaks and tricks to make X a bit easier on the eyes.

-dj

Re: Fonts in Linux? (none / 0) (#5)
by Paul Dunne on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 01:28:37 PM EST

That mini-HOWTO is very useful. I followed the directions on modifying XF86Config, and Netscape speeded up noticeably as a result, and looked rather better too. Of course, I still prefer lynx on a text console...
Re: Fonts in Linux? (none / 0) (#6)
by Inoshiro on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 04:29:53 PM EST

I have a package of TTFs for Linux..
Clicken das :)

If you have 'em, please mirror 'em... I pay for my bandwidth. These are free to the world, just keep that MS EULA.TXT if you give 'em to people.

[ イノシロ ]
Hey Mirror (none / 0) (#7)
by rusty on Tue Feb 15, 2000 at 04:35:19 PM EST

Get it from kuro5hin here. My bandwidth's free :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Fonts in Linux? | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)