Windows 2000 - flop or fanfare?

By bmetzler in News
Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 10:34:58 AM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

Well, this is February 17th, and as much as I'd like to ignore it, something will be happening today, that won't be overlooked. CNN has a well-balanced article on the release of Windows 2000 today, where they, among other things, claim that the release of Windows 2000, will not be an overwhelming success.

o ignore
o CNN
o article
o release
o Windows 2000
o today
o success
o Also by bmetzler

Windows 2000 - flop or fanfare? | 14 comments (14 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Have to have something on this soft... (none / 0) (#3)
by hattig on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 11:14:29 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

Have to have something on this software here, and we might get a sensible discussion as opposed to a /. flamefest full of Linux bigotry!

It's the most overblown event and a... (none / 0) (#6)
by Emacs on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 11:25:47 AM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

It's the most overblown event and also the most topical event, thus it deserves a mention.

Re: It's the most overblown event and a... (none / 0) (#12)
by Paul Dunne on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 12:56:31 PM EST

Yes, but twice in quick succession? Christ knows what it'll be like when the wretched thing is actually released; but if this is any gauge, there will be nothing else here!
Re: It's the most overblown event and a... (none / 0) (#13)
by Emacs on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 02:15:16 PM EST

You can run but you cannot hide...Prepare to be assimilated.

I've read a couple of Win2k launch stories (the one on Wired was amusing.. sorry no link) but for the most part I'm not activily participating in the whole party :)

My personal experience win Nt5 er..uh..Win2K is limited to the beta version that we have running in our tech support room... I can't believe they didn't dress up the interface a bit. It just looks so ...clunky. I'm not sure they had to do an Aqua (yes it's over the top, but I like it) makover like Apple did with X, but they could have tweaked the interface a bit to make it more pleasing on the eyes...

But then again nobody is lining up for my interface advice these days :)

Re: It's the most overblown event and a... (none / 0) (#14)
by Paul Dunne on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 04:00:27 PM EST

From the Wired article on the launch:

"About an hour in, many of the reporters sitting in the front rows had run out of steam. Most had stopped writing, some were fidgeting with their watches and one had her head in her hands."

Oh no Mr Bill!

I guess I'm burned out from seeing ... (none / 0) (#5)
by Demona on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 11:28:28 AM EST

Demona voted 0 on this story.

I guess I'm burned out from seeing so many W2K stories on open-source news sites. We'll be upgrading at least one of the Windows machines here on our LAN, just for yucks and testing, but on the whole it's no big deal. Now Linux 2.4...that, we're drooling and champing at the bit for.

Lots of good links... (none / 0) (#2)
by ramses0 on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 12:35:51 PM EST

ramses0 voted 1 on this story.

Lots of good links
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Oh, dear Lord, no, please, spare us... (none / 0) (#1)
by Paul Dunne on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 02:29:38 PM EST

Paul Dunne voted -1 on this story.

Oh, dear Lord, no, please, spare us.

I do not know about this one since ... (none / 0) (#4)
by Nyarlathotep on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 06:01:20 PM EST

Nyarlathotep voted 1 on this story.

I do not know about this one since it is about W2K, but slashdot did not post it I guess I will vote to post this windows sucks story and not to post ones I see in the near future.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

Re: I do not know about this one since ... (none / 0) (#7)
by Sean Hope on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 10:37:54 PM EST

Hmm, Slashdot passed up an occasion to MS bash... what's up with that?

It doesn't matter. (none / 0) (#8)
by Inoshiro on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 10:57:42 PM EST

[ イノシロ ]
It doesn't matter. (none / 0) (#9)
by Inoshiro on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 10:59:21 PM EST

No matter what they do, or what they show, or how it's changed -- I'm a Linux user. The Windows OS is very clunky and newbie oriented. The problem is, you're only a newbie for a few months, then you want that crap to go away. Not to mention real, auditable security..

[ イノシロ ]
Re: It doesn't matter. (none / 0) (#10)
by bmetzler on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 09:10:19 AM EST

The Windows OS is very clunky and newbie oriented.

Actually, the UI isn't newbie oriented. It requires a lot of training to get someone to use Windows confidently who's never used a PC before. Windows just has the advantage in that most people have already used it, and therefore have a head start. And most people have heard of it, and perceive it to be easier.

-Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.
Re: It doesn't matter. (none / 0) (#11)
by Emacs on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 09:55:31 AM EST

****Windows just has the advantage in that most people have already used it, and therefore have a head start. And most people have heard of it, and perceive it to be easier.****

<disclaimer>
I realize that I am not your average computer user and I will never be a good judge of what is *easy to use* (I spend probably 75% of my time with a couple xterms and emacs.. neither of which would be considered user friendly to the masses :)
</disclaimer>

I agree completely. I remember the first time I played around with a Mac. Even though Macs have the reputation of being very user-friendly it was just different enough from what I was *used to* (Windows) that It seemed cumbersome to me.

The "easy to use" mantra is something that the MS Marketing people have done very well at selling. In marketing if you repeat something enough it will become true in the eyes of the majority, especially when you have very little competition to dispute what you are saying.

I think that Windows2000 has a place in the world, but I also think that as consumers become more technologically educated they will see that there are other options availble, many of which are better options, depending on thejob you are trying to do. Also consumers will learn that maybe...just maybe...you shouldn't believe everything that Microsoft says.

Windows 2000 - flop or fanfare? | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)