Was Linux' Success Due to Windows 2000 Delay?

By bmetzler in News
Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 05:45:03 PM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

According to this article by the AP, the reason why Linux was accepted like it was, was because people were tired of waiting for Windows. Is the only reason Linux became popular last year because Microsoft failed to deliver with Windows 2000, or did Linux just prove that it could perform?

Well, I know that in 1998, I was a die-hard Microsoft advocate. NT was a real Server OS, and the only reason anyone used 30-year-old Unix anymore was because they didn't have a chance to upgrade yet. I understood NT, could support any type of NT problem, and was going to get my MCSE.

But now what am I doing? I'm working on AIX and SCO OpenServer, and wouldn't touch MS products if I didn't have too. What caused me to change platforms? Was I tired of waiting for NT 5? No, as I learned even more about what kind of OS NT was, I realize what a poor implementation it was, and how much superior of an implementation that Unix-type OS's had.

Also, I saw that the MCSE wasn't very valuable, and people were getting it who had no understanding of NT at all. Why would I want to get an MCSE having an understanding of advanced NT concepts, and then be associated by doofuses? Also, why get stuck working with an OS that has no "escape" route. When I learned Linux, I had a skill that I could adapt to many other platforms. But if I focused on NT, then I would have been stuck with NT jobs. I would be at the will and whim of Microsoft. But with Unix, I can go from Linux to FreeBSD to AIX to Unixware, without needed massive amounts of retraining. I am no longer locked into one vendor.

o article
o Also by bmetzler

Was Linux' Success Due to Windows 2000 Delay? | 12 comments (12 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Interesting premise and well-reason... (none / 0) (#1)
by ramses0 on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 05:51:20 PM EST

ramses0 voted 0 on this story.

Interesting premise and well-reasoned with nice facts, but I doubt that even slash would post this without katzian commentary. I'm glad I read it, though.
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

interesting premise... (none / 0) (#4)
by rajivvarma on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 06:01:48 PM EST

rajivvarma voted 1 on this story.

interesting premise

Rajiv Varma
Mirror of DeCSS.

Grr.. Why didn't you post this with... (none / 0) (#3)
by Nyarlathotep on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 06:40:33 PM EST

Nyarlathotep voted -1 on this story.

Grr.. Why didn't you post this with the other microsoft one. I gues I'll have to vote no.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

It was a matter of perfect timing. ... (none / 0) (#5)
by Emacs on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 07:11:52 PM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

It was a matter of perfect timing. Linux has matured quite a bit and the internet, along with all of the internet-media, was kicking into high gear. Presto magico... Linux becomes the "overnight sensation" I really don't think that MS has much to do with it. People would be interested in a low cost functional solution regardless of what MS has to offer. It's more a matter of overcoming the barriers to entry, which Linux seems to be doing.

*Clap* Glad to hear it.... (none / 0) (#7)
by Dast on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 08:26:57 PM EST

Dast voted 1 on this story.

*Clap* Glad to hear it.

The article is interesting but I di... (none / 0) (#6)
by Kip on Thu Feb 17, 2000 at 11:09:23 PM EST

Kip voted 1 on this story.

The article is interesting but I disagree with the notion that the delay is the major reason for Linux's rise. Having personally used Linux since 1993 and professionally since mid-1995, I can say that Linux has been solving problems for me for a great deal of time. Linux is on the rise for it's own merits, such as open source code allowing for anyone to fix anything they need fixed.

chevy vs. ford, windows vs. linux, ... (none / 0) (#8)
by mr. creep on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 12:13:07 AM EST

mr. creep voted 0 on this story.

chevy vs. ford, windows vs. linux, blah blah blah.
brian - geeknik.net

The delay with Windows 2000 did hav... (none / 0) (#2)
by hattig on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 05:54:55 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

The delay with Windows 2000 did have something to do with Linux's success in the corporate market (servers etc), but amongst the other users (people at home etc) it would have been used anyway.

Re: The delay with Windows 2000 did hav... (none / 0) (#9)
by hattig on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 07:17:01 AM EST

It might be nice that posts made during voting are displayed here, but it should be made clear that will happen so people can write a useful reply, either for or against the topic being voted for, not the reasons for the vote.

Anyway, I found it interesting that Microsoft were willing to admit that NT4 had an uptime of 5 days, and Windows 98 only 2 days! I think that people who bought NT4 after being told by Microsoft that it was reliable etc should be allowed to sue them now for selling mislabelled goods. Windows 98 is run on computers that are expected to be rebooted once or twice a day, usually for playing games or writing a letter or surfing the web, but even so, 2 days is very poor...

Re: Was Linux' Success Due to Windows 2000 Delay? (none / 0) (#10)
by Paul Dunne on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 12:52:03 PM EST

After voting against it, I fond the story worth posting after all -- because of bmetzler's interesting write-up. The story itself, though, is just the usual bollocks (from what I can gather: that URL is now dead, and I can't be rooting around the website looking for it). Linux is getting serious new customers from two areas: people migrating from higher-cost Unices, and poeple setting up new servers who want a low-cost solution. These people are looking at Linux because it is a possible fit for their requirements, not because some wonderful silver bullet from Redmond got delayed. It seems some journalists still haven't learned that the sun doesn't revolve about the MS campus.

Now, I know I'm not Robert Cringely or whoever, but for what it's worth, my opinion is that Windows 2000 is going to bomb, big time. Have you read about the ridiculous new licensing conditions, for instance? It is rather amusing, too, that the best argument an MS droid could trot out against Linux in a report I read today was that "there is no company behind it". It's just a feeling, but I think the bubble is about to burst.

On a related note, it never ceases to amaze me how much attention Linux sites pay to Windows. For example, Linux Today seems to have at least one Windows/MS story every day. I see from the comments here that I'm not the only one who couldn't care less about "The Industry" and MS's place within it. It is sometimes mildly interesting to observe all the hoo-hah; but Linux has been quietly getting the job done for me since '94, and if that ever changes, it will be because I've switched to FreeBSD.

Re: Was Linux' Success Due to Windows 2000 Delay? (none / 0) (#11)
by bmetzler on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 02:26:24 PM EST

that URL is now dead, and I can't be rooting around the website looking for it

I should have probably looked for a link that was static. Oops! Anyways, the story is now here, but will only be there for a week :(

-Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.
Re: Was Linux' Success Due to Windows 2000 Delay? (none / 0) (#12)
by Paul Dunne on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 02:33:42 PM EST

Thanks, Brent. The article was worth reading for the ludicrous Steve Balmer quotes. Did *you* know that ISPs are moving to Linux becaue they got fed up waiting for Windows 2000? Oh boy.
Was Linux' Success Due to Windows 2000 Delay? | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)