Mir is a Tourist Trap

By bmetzler in News
Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 12:40:45 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

Now that Mir is abandoned, a group of investors are going to be turning Mir into a tourist destination. Forget the Bahamas, I'm going to space! But the $20 million dollars is a little rough. Space.Com has the story.

Well, this isn't really just for tourism's sake. The article mentions potential uses, from pharmaceutical experimentation and beaming live images back to Earth, to advertising and satellite repair. So this may just get more private research into space, instead of NASA and other countries being the only ones to do space research space. So will this cause advances in space and technology, or will it just be a dud?

I don't like the advertising bit though. Who bets that Pizza Hut will be the first to do advertising on Mir?

o Space.Com
o story
o Pizza Hut
o advertisin g
o Also by bmetzler

Mir is a Tourist Trap | 18 comments (18 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Hmm our first duplicate submission.... (none / 0) (#3)
by joeyo on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 12:55:26 PM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

Hmm our first duplicate submission. Lets see if moderation lets more than one through or not... As for the advertising, isnt that already being done on european rockets...

I'll be charging for tours for my o... (none / 0) (#8)
by Emacs on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 03:01:21 PM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

I'll be charging for tours for my old Honda if anyone has an interest.

If it's the size of five school bus... (none / 0) (#5)
by ramses0 on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 03:45:22 PM EST

ramses0 voted 1 on this story.

If it's the size of five school buses, would you be able to see an IPO-bound .com's web address from space? ;^)=
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Actually this would be a better cho... (none / 0) (#7)
by Demona on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 05:02:22 PM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

Actually this would be a better choice to post than the other Mir article - it's original, and more apt to stimulate discussion.

I think that is old news, but I mig... (none / 0) (#12)
by derick on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 06:06:33 PM EST

derick voted 0 on this story.

I think that is old news, but I might just be losing my mind.

old... (none / 0) (#13)
by ohrn on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 06:21:43 PM EST

ohrn voted -1 on this story.

old

Worthy of discussion. Isn't the com... (none / 0) (#10)
by xah on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 06:22:57 PM EST

xah voted 1 on this story.

Worthy of discussion. Isn't the commercialization of space horrible? Greed will reduce the pristine quality of space into a wasteland.

The story is, in its own way, sick.... (none / 0) (#14)
by Ethelred_Unraed on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 08:56:19 PM EST

Ethelred_Unraed voted 1 on this story.

The story is, in its own way, sick. But interesting...signs o' th' times...
[ Support LinuxPPC! ] [ LinuxMac.de ] [ Visit my site ]

this one, because it is shorter in ... (none / 0) (#2)
by del on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 12:35:33 AM EST

del voted 1 on this story.

this one, because it is shorter in decsribing the situation.
how perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure

Interesting, but old news? Anyway, ... (none / 0) (#11)
by saw2th on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 04:38:12 AM EST

saw2th voted 1 on this story.

Interesting, but old news? Anyway, you wouldn't get me up there no matter how good the view was.

Post this instead of the previous o... (none / 0) (#16)
by CentrX on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 09:28:25 PM EST

CentrX voted 1 on this story.

Post this instead of the previous one.
-- "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

If I were rich, I'd go up there... (none / 0) (#17)
by Imperator on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 09:34:14 PM EST

Imperator voted 1 on this story.

If I were rich, I'd go up there

yawn. ... (none / 0) (#9)
by mr. creep on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 10:46:03 PM EST

mr. creep voted 0 on this story.

yawn. geeknik.net
brian - geeknik.net

Shame that space exploration and co... (none / 0) (#6)
by hattig on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 07:09:10 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

Shame that space exploration and colonisation has taken a major leap backwards since the early 80's, and even more so since the early 70's. Space is the one place where one country, however big, cannot conquer on its own, it needs a worldwide effort and a lot of money to actually get anywhere beyond one duff space station, a lot of dodgy mars probes, and another space station that has hardly been started!

I think that asteroid mining machines need to start first, then send up the space smelters and manufacturing equipment... :-) Not for another 100 years though, I bet!

Oh, I guess it is that I have alrea... (none / 0) (#15)
by neonman on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 09:30:51 AM EST

neonman voted -1 on this story.

Oh, I guess it is that I have already read a lot about the fate of Mir on slashdot and wired news. This may actually be old news, but more importantly, I didn't even find it interesting enough to investigate.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

We've heard it all before.... (none / 0) (#4)
by ebunga on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 05:40:48 PM EST

ebunga voted -1 on this story.

We've heard it all before.

Seen this before. Good writeup, but... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 06:14:12 PM EST

rusty voted 0 on this story.

Seen this before. Good writeup, but... hmm.

____
Not the real rusty

blech... (none / 0) (#18)
by jhavard on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 06:38:33 PM EST

jhavard voted -1 on this story.

blech

Mir is a Tourist Trap | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)