Living Lightbulbs

By bmetzler in News
Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 01:03:11 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

An article by Nature talks about innovations with new ways of lighting. They propose the the old method of heating wire is archiac, and that in the future we'll be using LED's as not only light bulbs but also replacing cathode-ray tubes. They also mention that the LED's of the future may be made of organic materials instead of hard, brittle materials.

o article
o Nature
o Also by bmetzler

Living Lightbulbs | 9 comments (9 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Sweet. With the amount of machines... (none / 0) (#6)
by Dast on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 01:07:18 PM EST

Dast voted 1 on this story.

Sweet. With the amount of machines I have running in each room, I've got to think carefully about how much heat things are giving off. Maybe one day I'll replace the light bulbs with LED's. 4 times more efficient, according to the article.

interesting... (none / 0) (#4)
by rajivvarma on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 01:14:09 PM EST

rajivvarma voted 0 on this story.

interesting

Rajiv Varma
Mirror of DeCSS.

Very interesting. It's hard to ima... (none / 0) (#1)
by joeyo on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 01:35:38 PM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

Very interesting. It's hard to imagine getting our light from big LED'S but if they could be made "white" enough there is no reason why it wouldn't be preferable. What about flourescent lights though?

A pretty good explanation of the quantum physics too...

Re: Very interesting. It's hard to ima... (none / 0) (#7)
by hattig on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 04:56:41 PM EST

What the article doesn't make clear is whether it is referring to the classical lightbulb (60W, 75W, 100W ...) or the more modern low-power light-bulb (6W, 10W, 15W) that have been very common in England for the last few years and that also last 10 times longer...

Re: Very interesting. It's hard to ima... (none / 0) (#8)
by joeyo on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 06:24:26 PM EST

I would guess it's refering to the "classical" bulbs (Nature is an American journal right?). I'm not sure if I have seen these low-power bulbs before, are they incandescent or what?

Yes, I live in the states :)
/joeyo

Now that's good geek food :)... (none / 0) (#5)
by Emacs on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 02:19:27 PM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

Now that's good geek food :)

This would be the building-a-better... (none / 0) (#3)
by Demona on Fri Feb 18, 2000 at 05:04:42 PM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

This would be the building-a-better-mousetrap department? Has the lightbulb gotten too crufty? Should we sacrifice backward compatibility?

Neat article, but I have nothing to... (none / 0) (#2)
by ramses0 on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 01:26:18 PM EST

ramses0 voted 0 on this story.

Neat article, but I have nothing to comment about it.
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Re: Living Lightbulbs (none / 0) (#9)
by Anonymous Hero on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 08:19:34 PM EST

Down here in Florida (USA), we have started having all public utility lights (traffic lights, hazard lights, construction lights, etc) be replaced with a matrix of many dozen leds. They sort of have the pattern of a shower drain with a bright light behind it. I guess they just don't burn out.

Evan

Living Lightbulbs | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)