We like loud music because we have fish ears

By saw2th in News
Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 04:20:15 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

New Scientist has a Fishy story about why we like loud music.

EVER wondered why listening to loud music or singing at the top of your voice is such fun? Scientists at the University of Manchester say a pleasure-inducing hearing mechanism we've inherited from our fishy ancestors could be to blame.

o Fishy story
o Also by saw2th

We like loud music because we have fish ears | 11 comments (11 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I wonder how much many characterist... (none / 0) (#2)
by rajivvarma on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 04:49:08 PM EST

rajivvarma voted 1 on this story.

I wonder how much many characteristics humans have inherited from other species?

Rajiv Varma
Mirror of DeCSS.

Re: I wonder how much many characterist... (none / 0) (#9)
by saw2th on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 07:06:34 PM EST

Just about all of them. The oversized brain is the
only unique feature that I can think of right now.

It's sobering to realise there's always monkey,
cat/dog, reptile, fish etc layers all still active in
someway.

This is OLD news. ... (none / 0) (#1)
by hattig on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 04:54:25 PM EST

hattig voted -1 on this story.

This is OLD news. Over a week in fact!

i'm a fish? whoa!... (none / 0) (#4)
by uart on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 05:24:59 PM EST

uart voted 1 on this story.

i'm a fish? whoa!

Interesting stuff. I wondert if th... (none / 0) (#5)
by derick on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 05:46:47 PM EST

derick voted 1 on this story.

Interesting stuff. I wondert if the government will make music a controlled substance because of the the "buzz" we get?

Loud music addiction is destroying the youth of Am (none / 0) (#7)
by Dast on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 06:47:18 PM EST

We must help our children break free of this terrible addiction. If we eliminate all music except Kenny G., no one will ever have a reason to turn up their stereo.

;)

Kewl! I'll go crank up my stereo ri... (none / 0) (#6)
by ohrn on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 06:04:19 PM EST

ohrn voted 1 on this story.

Kewl! I'll go crank up my stereo right now.

I don't know if I buy it or not, bu... (none / 0) (#3)
by Dast on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 06:33:30 PM EST

Dast voted 1 on this story.

I don't know if I buy it or not, but it is interesting.

Re: We like loud music because we have fish ears (none / 0) (#8)
by saw2th on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 06:57:55 PM EST

I posted this story on slashdot a while ago and it didn't
appear, posted here and three hours later it's up - maybe I'll stick around.

The guy responsible for the research was interviewed on
BBC Radio 4 last week. He gave some extra details about
how fish communicate with sound. Ever heard of the mating
call of the Haddock? I've been searching the web for an audio file , but no luck so far.

Hmmm.. (none / 0) (#11)
by Inoshiro on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 11:23:16 AM EST

Is the Haddock call deep and bassy?

I've noticed that particularly deep bass (to the point where our stereo hearing is less important than the vibration of the body for the perception of such bass) is very nice to listen to when properly mixed with a variety of higher frequency sounds.

[ イノシロ ]
That explains all the shouting (none / 0) (#10)
by bludstone on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 06:11:47 AM EST

So this pleasure center goes off when there is loud music or singing. That explains why my suitemate plays the same 4 cds constanty.. and only one of them is good.

How about some summer camp sing-a-longs!?

We like loud music because we have fish ears | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)