Genome of Fruit Fly Deciphered

By rajivvarma in News
Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 04:40:43 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

Caught this one from msnbc.com. It seems that scientists from the University of California, Berkeley have "deciphered" all of the genes in a fruit fly. Even though it has only 13,600 genes compared to 70,000 in humans, only about 10% of them are really different, so this is a pretty important achievement.

o this one
o msnbc.com
o Also by rajivvarma

Genome of Fruit Fly Deciphered | 5 comments (5 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
13,600 is nearly 20% of 70,000, so ... (none / 0) (#4)
by derick on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 05:41:06 PM EST

derick voted 1 on this story.

13,600 is nearly 20% of 70,000, so this makes the human genome effort seem even more doable

Until you think about how much shorter (none / 0) (#5)
by Dast on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 08:06:33 PM EST

the lifespan of a fruit fly (and therefore how quickly they reproduce) is compared to humans.

Still, I for one would like to see our genome mapped.

I hope they find my procrastination gene, so I can say it isn't my fault. :)

How does this affect my life? I don... (none / 0) (#3)
by xah on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 06:16:48 PM EST

xah voted -1 on this story.

How does this affect my life? I don't care about fruit flies.

Hmmm, fly, genes... Add a teleporte... (none / 0) (#2)
by fvw on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 06:40:07 PM EST

fvw voted 1 on this story.

Hmmm, fly, genes... Add a teleporter and the first one to make a bad scifi movie reference gets zapped.

Hmmm. I thought the fruit fly was ... (none / 0) (#1)
by Dast on Sat Feb 19, 2000 at 06:43:08 PM EST

Dast voted 1 on this story.

Hmmm. I thought the fruit fly was covered a while back. Maybe I'm wrong. Seems like they have some fishy numbers in the writeup, however. They state that "a fruit fly cell has just 13,600 genes", and a human's 70,000". Okay fine. Then they say that humans and fruitflies share 90% of their genetic info. That is kind of misleading. According to their numbers, the fruitfly genom is 19.4% the size of ours. So then if 90% of that small amount is similar, they actually share 17.46% of our genes. Of course, that doesn't sound as good as 90%.

Genome of Fruit Fly Deciphered | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)