The Physics of Baseball

By ramses0 in News
Thu Feb 24, 2000 at 03:03:09 AM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

I know I played Little League Baseball back before High School- clearly what I was doing was "impossible", as the article from InfoBeat shows. A detailed physical analysis of timing issues and race conditions involved in hitting a major league fastball. And you thought the technology industry moves fast ;^)=

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

o article
o InfoBeat
o Also by ramses0

The Physics of Baseball | 21 comments (21 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Geeks don't like sports.... (none / 0) (#11)
by delmoi on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 05:29:31 AM EST

delmoi voted -1 on this story.

Geeks don't like sports.
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman

Amazing... (none / 0) (#8)
by Emacs on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 08:45:55 AM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

Amazing

Not sure about the facts, but funny... (none / 0) (#16)
by absurd on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 09:43:37 AM EST

absurd voted 1 on this story.

Not sure about the facts, but funny. Kind of makes you think whether to trust biology or religion. Or something :)

At last, now I know why I was alway... (none / 0) (#15)
by Ethelred_Unraed on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 10:59:48 AM EST

Ethelred_Unraed voted 1 on this story.

At last, now I know why I was always scared witless when I was up at bat in Little League. :-)
[ Support LinuxPPC! ] [ LinuxMac.de ] [ Visit my site ]

This web site is supposed to be abo... (none / 0) (#12)
by xah on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 11:10:29 AM EST

xah voted -1 on this story.

This web site is supposed to be about "technology" and "culture." This is about science and sports. Sorry, I'm against this one.

somewhat interesting... (none / 0) (#7)
by rajivvarma on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 01:26:06 PM EST

rajivvarma voted 0 on this story.

somewhat interesting

Rajiv Varma
Mirror of DeCSS.

I read about this in the local pape... (none / 0) (#3)
by joeyo on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 02:19:43 PM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

I read about this in the local paper this morning- it's some good physics. I like the point that if the pitchers mound was where it was in the 1880's the pitchers threw the balls at todays speeds it would be nearly impossible to hit the ball (e.g. not enough time for the brain to react!)

not technology, not much content. ... (none / 0) (#14)
by grappler on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 03:58:03 PM EST

grappler voted -1 on this story.

not technology, not much content. besides, we all KNOW it's POSSIBLE...

grappler

Some people cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

I'd be interested in hearing physic... (none / 0) (#17)
by casret on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 05:34:38 PM EST

casret voted 1 on this story.

I'd be interested in hearing physics and bio geeks opinions.

What they forget is that you can al... (none / 0) (#10)
by fvw on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 08:26:06 PM EST

fvw voted 1 on this story.

What they forget is that you can already get a lot of info on how the ball is going to go (subconsciously) while the pitcher or whatever it's called (/me doesn't like baseball, or any spectator sports for that matter) is still throwing it.

Not really interesting... (none / 0) (#19)
by Imperator on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 09:35:55 PM EST

Imperator voted 0 on this story.

Not really interesting

blah.... (none / 0) (#9)
by mr. creep on Sun Feb 20, 2000 at 10:44:23 PM EST

mr. creep voted -1 on this story.

blah.
brian - geeknik.net

I'm just biased against mainstream ... (none / 0) (#6)
by Demona on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 02:19:17 AM EST

Demona voted -1 on this story.

I'm just biased against mainstream sports. Something like horseshoes is more my style.

Interesting read, even though it cl... (none / 0) (#13)
by derick on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:36:56 AM EST

derick voted 1 on this story.

Interesting read, even though it clearly IS possible to hit major league fast balls.

heh, i wonder if this guy has ever ... (none / 0) (#2)
by Zer0 on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 04:00:16 AM EST

Zer0 voted 1 on this story.

heh, i wonder if this guy has ever tryed to hit a baseball himself.

Dull. This is a reason for having d... (none / 0) (#5)
by hattig on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 07:01:03 AM EST

hattig voted -1 on this story.

Dull. This is a reason for having different topics, as I am sure that Americans are interested in this, but Europeans aren't.

This doesn't really interest me. B... (none / 0) (#18)
by neonman on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 09:26:27 AM EST

neonman voted -1 on this story.

This doesn't really interest me. Baseball itself is something that I don't find very interesting. It would be better if this was something that kuro5hin's average reader could relate to. Yes yes.. I know it's Physics and all, but it is also baseball related.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

I'm not american and I don't like b... (none / 0) (#20)
by Pow.R Toc.H on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 01:27:30 PM EST

Pow.R Toc.H voted 0 on this story.

I'm not american and I don't like baseball. Anyway, there should be many american people and many baseball fans outa here. ;-)

Sports evil. Sports evil!... (none / 0) (#4)
by ebunga on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 05:40:17 PM EST

ebunga voted -1 on this story.

Sports evil. Sports evil!

That's fascinating. I've long said ... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 07:52:49 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

That's fascinating. I've long said that hitting a baseball is the single most difficult feat in all of sports.

____
Not the real rusty

Neat, but really related to the sit... (none / 0) (#21)
by Matthew Guenther on Wed Feb 23, 2000 at 08:31:17 AM EST

Matthew Guenther voted 0 on this story.

Neat, but really related to the site.

The Physics of Baseball | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)