Brazil: a new "Database Nation"?

By Pow.R Toc.H in News
Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 11:28:12 AM EST
Tags: Freedom (all tags)
Freedom

Brazil has now its own version of the Finnancial Big Brother, a system called "Credit Scoring Bureau", which will be able to cross-check people's data up to 3000 different databases. With this, it would be possible to trace even sexual habits or political oppinions, in a clear offense to basic rules of privacy. It's a pity that, after we've fought so hard for our political freedom, it's being took off us again by financial institutions...

Perhaps this is not really news for you from U.S. (at least is what I hear from people that work with security), but this link brings some information about a new credit rating system conjured by SERASA, a bank- and financial institution-owned company that, among other things, it's the main "Credit Protection Service" of Brazil. SERASA has been known to make big mistakes in his "black list" that avoids a person/organization to take any kind of credit, what by itself has been a harm to numerous people and organizations in Brazil. But now this is past: we have our own version of the Finnancial Big Brother, a system called "Credit Scoring Bureau", which will be able to cross-check up to 3000 different databases. There are two results of this cross check:
  • You'll have a scoring certifying how and how much credit you deserve. That is, based upon your finnancial records, you'll have right to a certain amount of credit with "personal" conditions. The black side of this is you can't allegate privacy rights, as this would be interpreted as coming from a "no-scoring person" and thus deserving no credit at all (or credit with absurd conditions).
  • You'll have all your financial records available on-line to all financial institutions. This is the worst part. Organizations would be able to know about your consumer habits, what you do buy, when and where. With this, it would be possible to trace even sexual habits or political oppinions, in a clear offense to basic rules of privacy.

I wonder the political uses of this consolidated database, given the incestuous relationship between Brazil's government and its finnancial and banking institutions. And it's a pity that, after we've fought so hard for our political freedom, it's being took off us again by financial institutions...

o this link
o SERASA
o Also by Pow.R Toc.H

Brazil: a new "Database Nation"? | 12 comments (12 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Important stuff... (none / 0) (#5)
by Emacs on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 11:58:52 AM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

Important stuff

First, Financial Institutions will ... (none / 0) (#3)
by hattig on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 12:28:03 PM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

First, Financial Institutions will take your freedom away.

Second, All Corporate Institutions will take even more of your freedom away.

Third, The Government will take the rest of your freedom away, under control of the Corporate Institutions.

Or, if you are lucky, then they wont! :-)

Brr. This is creepy.... (none / 0) (#1)
by lachoy on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 12:33:12 PM EST

lachoy voted 1 on this story.

Brr. This is creepy.
M-x auto-bs-mode

Worth talking about, but one of the... (none / 0) (#11)
by mattdm on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 02:23:07 PM EST

mattdm voted 0 on this story.

Worth talking about, but one of the links seems to be down, and the other is in Portuguese, making it hard for me to contribute meaningfully. PS: "this link" makes a good example of why words like "this link" don't make for good crossreferences. Look over in the Related Links box...

Re: Worth talking about, but one of the... (none / 0) (#12)
by Pow.R Toc.H on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 11:16:44 AM EST

Unfortunately I haven't found any online translator that could translate all the text decently. Or they will translate part of it so-so or they will translate all of it very badly.

I'm looking for other methods of translation and, if thre's no other way, I'll translate it myself.

P.

Good piece for discussion of the in... (none / 0) (#10)
by Skippy on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 02:49:02 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

Good piece for discussion of the intersection between privacy, technology, and business' need to protect their interests.

The idea of people that I don't kno... (none / 0) (#9)
by Perpetual Newbie on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:01:29 PM EST

Perpetual Newbie voted 1 on this story.

The idea of people that I don't know being able to know everything about me freaks me out.

We need more international stories ... (none / 0) (#4)
by Nyarlathotep on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:33:44 PM EST

Nyarlathotep voted 1 on this story.

We need more international stories like this. What I'd like to know is how to help people in another country fight this. Maybe we could run a web site to allow you to contribute money to the opponents of crappy andti-internet / anti-privacy officials in other countries.. or at least help cordinate the international outrage in a more effective way. What do people think?
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

I hate Big Brother.... (none / 0) (#8)
by xah on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:36:33 PM EST

xah voted 1 on this story.

I hate Big Brother.

Wew, this is is bad........ (none / 0) (#7)
by fvw on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:57:24 PM EST

fvw voted 1 on this story.

Wew, this is is bad.....

Post it. Privacy stuff is good.... (none / 0) (#2)
by ebunga on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 05:34:46 PM EST

ebunga voted 1 on this story.

Post it. Privacy stuff is good.

i love big brother. he's my uncle.... (none / 0) (#6)
by mr. creep on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 06:13:33 PM EST

mr. creep voted 1 on this story.

i love big brother. he's my uncle.
brian - geeknik.net

Brazil: a new "Database Nation"? | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)