AMD to slash prices

By hattig in News
Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 08:03:07 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

This story over at The Register says that AMD are going to slash up to 60% off the prices of their Athlon processors next week. So now is not a good time to go and buy an Athlon machine. The price of the 700MHz processor is now $270! Also, the price roadmaps to Intels processors are here (PIII) and here (Celeron).

These prices put the Athlon into the budget processor range, but with huge performance. Who said you couldn't have cheap, fast and good altogether?

In June, when the Celeron 700 is launched at $192 the Athlon 700 will probably cost the same! - you can get an Athlon 600 for $190 from next week! The best processor to buy for a budget PC has changed from the Celeron to the Athlon without a doubt - the extra few dollars is worth it for the better bus and better features.

o story
o The Register
o here (PIII)
o here (Celeron)
o Also by hattig

AMD to slash prices | 20 comments (20 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Chip prices are getting slashed all... (none / 0) (#14)
by mattdm on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 02:11:07 PM EST

mattdm voted 0 on this story.

Chip prices are getting slashed all the time. If we post here every single time, there won't be any room left for anything else.

Re: Chip prices [score -1, offtopic] ;-) (none / 0) (#16)
by rusty on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 08:07:49 PM EST

I assume if people keep announcing chip price changes, we'll all start voting against them.

On that same topic, sorta, this comment seems to be a running theme. "If we post x here every time y happens, there won't be room for anything else!" Interesting theory... Hopefully moderation will take care of this. In the sense of, if x gets posted more times than people are interested in, people will stop voting for stories about x.

And, umm, cheap chips are good. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Chip prices [score -1, offtopic] ;-) (none / 0) (#20)
by mattdm on Sat Feb 26, 2000 at 11:28:02 PM EST

right, that's why i didn't vote for it. if i were more annoyed, I woulda voted against it.

I still really think that comments on story moderation should _not_ be posted with the story. If someone has something really good to say, they should say it again.

Whoohoo! Too bad people keep giving... (none / 0) (#11)
by Skippy on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 02:54:43 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

Whoohoo! Too bad people keep giving me their unused Slot 1 mobos. Nice to know this though.

Pretty cool. People need to know t... (none / 0) (#12)
by neonman on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:13:55 PM EST

neonman voted 1 on this story.

Pretty cool. People need to know this.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

I don't care about hardware rommors... (none / 0) (#5)
by Nyarlathotep on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:28:32 PM EST

Nyarlathotep voted -1 on this story.

I don't care about hardware rommors. I'll only vote for this stuff of people can convince me that all the other hardware discussion sites (slashdot, Ars, etc.) really suck.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

There is a grammatical error. AMD i... (none / 0) (#9)
by xah on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:39:37 PM EST

xah voted -1 on this story.

There is a grammatical error. AMD is singular, so it should be "AMD is." Second, this is a routine kind of news item that comes out regularly. Third, these price announcements are modified frequently.

They've been slashing all along, ju... (none / 0) (#8)
by fvw on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:53:09 PM EST

fvw voted -1 on this story.

They've been slashing all along, just like intel. not news really.

Yeah!! Cheap chips.... (none / 0) (#4)
by bmetzler on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:58:42 PM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

Yeah!! Cheap chips.
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

Interesting. Nice warning for consu... (none / 0) (#15)
by rcade on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 04:15:04 PM EST

rcade voted 1 on this story.

Interesting. Nice warning for consumers.

faster processers for less money is... (none / 0) (#3)
by ramses0 on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 04:34:21 PM EST

ramses0 voted 1 on this story.

faster processers for less money is always a good thing. I like price wars ;^)=
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

bah..around and around it goes... (none / 0) (#6)
by Emacs on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 04:36:41 PM EST

Emacs voted -1 on this story.

bah..around and around it goes

Lower prices are good. I'm going t... (none / 0) (#2)
by ebunga on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 05:34:13 PM EST

ebunga voted 1 on this story.

Lower prices are good. I'm going to be building a few boxen fairly soon. I wish somebody would get a crusoe and make it emulate a vax. That would be fun.

AMD > *... (none / 0) (#7)
by mr. creep on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 06:11:19 PM EST

mr. creep voted 1 on this story.

AMD > *
brian - geeknik.net

This is what Ars is good for... (none / 0) (#13)
by Imperator on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 07:30:24 PM EST

Imperator voted 0 on this story.

This is what Ars is good for

I wish I had the $$$ to upgrade. Fo... (none / 0) (#10)
by derick on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 07:56:29 PM EST

derick voted 1 on this story.

I wish I had the $$$ to upgrade. For most people, upgrading to a fast athlon will require at the very least a new mobo.

Hm. Interesting.... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 08:03:07 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Hm. Interesting.

____
Not the real rusty

Why still x86 for non Win users? (none / 0) (#17)
by FlinkDelDinky on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 10:45:11 PM EST

Faster, better, cheaper. The silican mantra continues!

Big deal.

I have a question that some of you may be able to answer for me. Why are those of us Freenix types still using x86 chips?

I mean, we've got PPC (I don't like apple so I'm not going to buy their hardware, doesn't anybody else make PPC Motherboards?), Alpha (I remember seing adds in Linux Journal a couple of years ago for cheap alpha's and motherboards), StrongARM, and probably more.

It just seems that if the Freenix users would evaluate other CPU's they might be able to get a better system.

Are the other CPU's so much more expensive?

If you're using Freenix wouldn't a PPC laptop stomp the guts out of a (still vaporware) Corusoe? And wouldn't a StrongARM give a PPC a run for its money?

I think the corusoe (however you spell it!) is going to be slow but low power. But PPC/StrongARM are quick and low power.

But you're going to comprimise and go corusoe anyway?

Wouldn't an Alpha or PPC desktop make more sense than an AMD. Wouldn't a PPC or StrongARM make a better notebook than corusoe?

Please, illuminate this darkness I find myself in.

PS. I run a Cyrix PR300 M2 (233Mhz), a 128 meg stick of ram, a Powercolor TNT2, and a Trident 4dwave sound card.

But when I upgrade it will be a totally Linux and probably a notebook. The above system was used for Linux + Win but I've pretty much migrated now so Win isn't an issue.

PPS. You know, the font in this little box is way to small and so are the fonts on this sight in general.

Re: Why still x86 for non Win users? (none / 0) (#18)
by rusty on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 11:40:27 PM EST

Have you priced out an alpha lately? "Cheap" is compared to other alphas. The only alphas that I know of in the same price range as x86 systems are old, and slow. They were the best you could get back in the day, but not anymore. Basically, x86 and clones still give you the best bang for your buck. Plus there's the issue of hardware upgradability, peripherals, compatibilities, and whatnot. It's easy to find parts for beige x86 boxen, on just about any budget.

OTOH, new architectures are fun, and if you want one, by all means, go out and get one. The above is why I tend to buy x86 type stuff, even for Linux.

And about the fonts-- get yourself a good verdana true type font. You shouldn't have any more troubles.

____
Not the real rusty

Dual Athlon boards? (none / 0) (#19)
by lachoy on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 09:14:10 AM EST

Are there any dual Athlon motherboards out there? This is the main reason I won't be able to go AMD in the near future when I get a new/upgraded machine...
M-x auto-bs-mode
AMD to slash prices | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)