Y2K Bug-Fix Patent Holder Seeks Fees

By rajivvarma in News
Thu Feb 24, 2000 at 10:10:19 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

At cnn.com there is an article about Bruce Dickens, the patent holder of a "windowing" software patch. It seems he has joined forces with another y2k fix patent holder and they have formed a company - Dickens-Soeder2000. The USPTO is planning on re-examining the patent.

From the article:
His first move was to patent a popular Y2k software patch that has been around for decades. Then he asked hundreds of corporations to pay him for the privilege of using the patch.

Now, while the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office reconsiders its award of the patent, he's back with a business partner and has more patents to license.

o cnn.com
o article
o USPTO
o Also by rajivvarma

Y2K Bug-Fix Patent Holder Seeks Fees | 12 comments (12 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I hate to vote 0, but this doesn't ... (none / 0) (#7)
by derick on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 11:52:26 PM EST

derick voted 0 on this story.

I hate to vote 0, but this doesn't float my boat one way or the other.

Ugh. I dislike patent articles, gen... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 11:59:22 PM EST

rusty voted 0 on this story.

Ugh. I dislike patent articles, generally. And this particular guy is so freakin retahded (sorry, spent last night in Boston).

____
Not the real rusty

I've seen a lot of patent stuff, bu... (none / 0) (#2)
by ebunga on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 12:22:33 AM EST

ebunga voted 1 on this story.

I've seen a lot of patent stuff, but hey, this is pretty good. Personally, I'd like to see a bit more content in stories, but I'm just a wind bag, especially when I get off on a rant. Watch out.

What a bunch of dinks... (none / 0) (#9)
by renec on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 06:19:21 AM EST

renec voted 1 on this story.

What a bunch of dinks

Re: What a bunch of dinks... (none / 0) (#12)
by rusty on Thu Feb 24, 2000 at 10:15:22 PM EST

Who? The USPTO? Bruce Dickens and Tom Soeder? cnn.com? Or the whole lot of them? :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Y2K is over and the fraud still doe... (none / 0) (#4)
by bmetzler on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 08:59:17 AM EST

bmetzler voted -1 on this story.

Y2K is over and the fraud still doesn't know when to die. DIE FRAUD!!! DIE!!!
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

slashdot would love this. I don't ... (none / 0) (#3)
by ramses0 on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 02:06:37 PM EST

ramses0 voted 0 on this story.

slashdot would love this. I don't like these kinds of people.
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

I don't think he has any chance of ... (none / 0) (#6)
by xah on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 07:55:39 PM EST

xah voted -1 on this story.

I don't think he has any chance of succeeding in the courts. Anyway, I believe this type of patent is immoral.

And with the MPAA and RIAA talk lat... (none / 0) (#11)
by shepd on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 10:02:56 PM EST

shepd voted 1 on this story.

And with the MPAA and RIAA talk lately you would believe that only pirates abuse the system...

The fact that this guy's an idiot a... (none / 0) (#8)
by Perpetual Newbie on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 11:39:15 PM EST

Perpetual Newbie voted 1 on this story.

The fact that this guy's an idiot and the windowing !fix has been around for decades and it unobvious doesn't mean the story is irrelevant if this schmuck can adversely affect the industry through threats and lawsuits.

Well. I figure this is another case... (none / 0) (#10)
by kraant on Thu Feb 24, 2000 at 10:28:50 AM EST

kraant voted 1 on this story.

Well. I figure this is another case of bogus patents.

The article says that some companies had implemented it by 1995 When was it patented? If it was after that then it has a terminal case of prior art...

"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

Burn, baby. USPTO becoming more ope... (none / 0) (#5)
by Demona on Thu Feb 24, 2000 at 10:10:19 PM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

Burn, baby. USPTO becoming more open can only lead to good things.

Y2K Bug-Fix Patent Holder Seeks Fees | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)