KDE team presents KDE 2.0

By Philipp in News
Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 05:30:02 AM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

The KDE team presents the new version of KDE at CeBit in Hannover (Germany), the world biggest electronics fair. Heise reports that the new version has a slimer component model. They partially replaced CORBA with the light-weight Desktop Communication Protocol (DCOP), which seems to be more suitable for applications like KOffice. More details can be found here.

o KDE
o reports
o KOffice
o here
o Also by Philipp

KDE team presents KDE 2.0 | 16 comments (16 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Excellent, something I have been lo... (none / 0) (#4)
by hattig on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 06:55:01 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

Excellent, something I have been looking forward to! I might just to to CeBIT now, if I can spare the money.

I am holding off upgrading my boxes until I can get a distribution of Linux or FreeBSD that includes KDE2, XFree86 4, a new Gnome, and (linux only) kernel 2.4. Then I will be happy.

I'm actually a WindowMaker/GNOME us... (none / 0) (#10)
by Ethelred_Unraed on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 07:26:40 AM EST

Ethelred_Unraed voted 1 on this story.

I'm actually a WindowMaker/GNOME user, but I like to see KDE growing and improving...
[ Support LinuxPPC! ] [ LinuxMac.de ] [ Visit my site ]

Although I don't use KDE, that wasn... (none / 0) (#13)
by neonman on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 09:16:02 AM EST

neonman voted -1 on this story.

Although I don't use KDE, that wasn't the reason why I voted -1. I first went and tried to verify the validity of this post, and looking through the stable tree on the KDE ftp site, the latest release 1.1.2. The news section of their web site says that they intend to demo some of the 2.0 features at CeBit, but doesn't say anything about an actual release.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

Nice info about KDE, but I don't th... (none / 0) (#5)
by bmetzler on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 09:19:25 AM EST

bmetzler voted -1 on this story.

Nice info about KDE, but I don't think it belongs here.
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

Topical stuff. I'm looking forward ... (none / 0) (#6)
by Emacs on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 09:45:49 AM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

Topical stuff. I'm looking forward to running V2.0 as soon as it's been stress tested by the masses a bit.

This is another small(?) step in ma... (none / 0) (#11)
by Skippy on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 10:51:17 AM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

This is another small(?) step in making the free *nix to the average user

It's important to allow readers to ... (none / 0) (#14)
by Pow.R Toc.H on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 11:30:37 AM EST

Pow.R Toc.H voted 1 on this story.

It's important to allow readers to follow improvements on KDE interface, since it's the default GUI most distributions are making available by default. Also, I love KDE myself and so I think any great news about it (like the release of 2.0) deserve media attention.

There's no disputing that it's impo... (none / 0) (#2)
by lachoy on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 12:31:43 PM EST

lachoy voted -1 on this story.

There's no disputing that it's important, but do we want to post stories that are just software announcements?
M-x auto-bs-mode

blah blah freshmeat blah blah... (none / 0) (#12)
by casret on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 12:46:52 PM EST

casret voted -1 on this story.

blah blah freshmeat blah blah

A slimer component model? "It slime... (none / 0) (#9)
by Perpetual Newbie on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:09:27 PM EST

Perpetual Newbie voted 1 on this story.

A slimer component model? "It slimed me."

"Slimmer" is misspelled. Please rep... (none / 0) (#8)
by xah on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 03:34:29 PM EST

xah voted -1 on this story.

"Slimmer" is misspelled. Please repost with a corrected spelling. Then I would vote to post it.

It is short, but that says all it n... (none / 0) (#3)
by ebunga on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 05:37:41 PM EST

ebunga voted 1 on this story.

It is short, but that says all it needs to. I say post it. KDE is cool, anyways.

software news is good.... (none / 0) (#7)
by mr. creep on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 06:15:01 PM EST

mr. creep voted 1 on this story.

software news is good.
brian - geeknik.net

I use gnome, but I do like KDE. set... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Mon Feb 21, 2000 at 06:15:43 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

I use gnome, but I do like KDE. set it up on my girlfriend's machine because it's more small-screen friendly, and more like the windows she's used to.

____
Not the real rusty

Re: KDE team presents KDE 2.0 (none / 0) (#15)
by Anonymous Hero on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 10:39:24 AM EST

As far as I know, (and I should know), the KDE team is not presenting KDE 2 in CeBIT.

There was a little talk about a mini-freeze for a alpha KDE release at the time of CeBIT, but that fizzled.

There have been huge changes in the last few days (all new KIO architecture, merging of the new html stuff) and thinking of cleaning up the thing for CeBIT would require a miracle.

A new KDE 2 alpha (maybe a beta) is getting near, but not THAT near.

Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

Re: KDE team presents KDE 2.0 (none / 0) (#16)
by henrik on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 01:23:45 PM EST

KDE2 is pretty amazing - it still has its rough edges, but it's a huge improvement over 1.x. I've been running the cvs builds for a while now, and amazingly enough it's always worked well enough for daily use - the crashes are few and far between. (though i prefer using KDE, i like GTK+/Gnome better when coding. Figure that)

Anyway kudos to the KDE team.

Akademiska Intresseklubben antecknar!
KDE team presents KDE 2.0 | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)