'An Ancient'

By bmetzler in News
Fri Feb 25, 2000 at 05:50:57 AM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

Astronomers have discovered the oldest quasar currently known to man. This quasar has a red-shift of 5.5, and is of great interest to astronomers, who will be using it to study black holes, quasars, neutral hydrogen clouds. "Finding a quasar at this distance is like turning on a flashlight at the edge of the Universe," said Stern. "Because quasars are more luminous than distant galaxies at the same redshift, they act as the brightest flashlights, allowing us to study everything that has ever developed between us and the quasar."

o discovered
o Also by bmetzler

'An Ancient' | 14 comments (14 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
this has already been on slashdot... (none / 0) (#4)
by rajivvarma on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 12:39:33 PM EST

rajivvarma voted -1 on this story.

this has already been on slashdot

Rajiv Varma
Mirror of DeCSS.

Re: this has already been on slashdot... (none / 0) (#13)
by dr on Fri Feb 25, 2000 at 01:36:44 PM EST

Big deal. I like the fact that articles found on Slashdot are shown here. Slashdot has a terrible signal-to-noise ratio, compared to here. I am moving away from slashdot anyway.

cool. I like. Seems interesting. ... (none / 0) (#1)
by ebunga on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 01:23:45 PM EST

ebunga voted 1 on this story.

cool. I like. Seems interesting. Still, it is a bit short. I like stuff like this.

I will continue to vote these sorts... (none / 0) (#2)
by Nyarlathotep on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 05:41:41 PM EST

Nyarlathotep voted 1 on this story.

I will continue to vote these sorts of science things up since most people really need more pulp science in their lives, but it might be a good idea to try and put a do several at once. I'm not shure we should go so far as to have a quickies feature (i.e. if you really need slashdot style quickies maybe your interface is not efficent enough to begin with), but it is worth thinking about.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

An interesting story. I vote to "du... (none / 0) (#6)
by xah on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 07:44:57 PM EST

xah voted -1 on this story.

An interesting story. I vote to "dump it" because it's a science story, and not a technology story. I personally feel that the submission guidelines should be changed to accomodate science stories.

Re: An interesting story. I vote to "du... (none / 0) (#12)
by rusty on Fri Feb 25, 2000 at 12:43:54 PM EST

The submission guidelines have been changed to hopefully indicate that whatever you think is interesting, submit. "Technology and culture" is just a suggestion, really. And where does technology come from, but science? :-)

____
Not the real rusty
I think this was on slashdot, but t... (none / 0) (#10)
by neonman on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 11:00:24 PM EST

neonman voted 1 on this story.

I think this was on slashdot, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't appear here as well.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

Segfault.org has the scoop!
...
(none / 0) (#7)

by Perpetual Newbie on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 11:47:22 PM EST

Perpetual Newbie voted 0 on this story.

Segfault.org has the scoop!
Most Distant Quasar in Universe Found - Again

sometimes i prefer science to techn... (none / 0) (#5)
by mr. creep on Wed Feb 23, 2000 at 03:58:44 PM EST

mr. creep voted 1 on this story.

sometimes i prefer science to technology. ;)
brian - geeknik.net

It was posted on /. 4 days ago. Hav... (none / 0) (#11)
by spinergy on Thu Feb 24, 2000 at 10:12:52 AM EST

spinergy voted -1 on this story.

It was posted on /. 4 days ago. Have a look for your self...
<Insert Cheesy Comment Here>

saw it on slashdot days ago... (none / 0) (#9)
by renec on Thu Feb 24, 2000 at 03:14:09 PM EST

renec voted -1 on this story.

saw it on slashdot days ago

Much more comprehensible to less ad... (none / 0) (#3)
by Demona on Thu Feb 24, 2000 at 11:17:50 PM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

Much more comprehensible to less advanced folks like myself. Good read, great concepts, fascinating possibilities.

I just like scientific discovery st... (none / 0) (#8)
by FlinkDelDinky on Fri Feb 25, 2000 at 02:26:28 AM EST

FlinkDelDinky voted 1 on this story.

I just like scientific discovery stories

Posted on /.-Fine with Me (none / 0) (#14)
by Kent on Sat Feb 26, 2000 at 06:20:36 PM EST

< I am a science geek-keep that in mind>
I personally wouldn't mind if alot of the more
interesting stuff (like this) that appears on /. made a home here.

It would of course be nice to scoop them, which should be possible.

As another has pointed out, It might be easier to carry on a discussion here than at the other site.

The fact that we can look 13 billion years into
the past is pretty damn cool. Now we need to work on the traveling part of the equation.

Kent

'An Ancient' | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)