Color Palm[Pilot] out now

By mattdm in News
Sat Feb 26, 2000 at 01:21:40 AM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

3Com/Palm has released their color version of the device formerly known as the Palm Pilot. Time to upgrade!

o Time to upgrade
o Also by mattdm

Color Palm[Pilot] out now | 23 comments (23 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I like the Palm, and it cool that i... (none / 0) (#6)
by bmetzler on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 09:01:33 AM EST

bmetzler voted -1 on this story.

I like the Palm, and it cool that it's in color, but this isn't a discussion oriented story.
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

Yummy. But does color really make t... (none / 0) (#1)
by lachoy on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 09:16:26 AM EST

lachoy voted 1 on this story.

Yummy. But does color really make that much of a difference? I'd rather see a higher-res screen than color...
M-x auto-bs-mode

color = better than high res (5.00 / 1) (#20)
by mattdm on Sat Feb 26, 2000 at 01:09:53 PM EST

Color lets you fit a lot more information into a smaller space. Increasing the res a little bit (perhaps 2x or 4x) would kinda help, but beyond that, it doesn't really add much to the amount of info you can convey -- the pixels get too small. Color, on the other hand, provides a whole new dimension.

Anyone got any screenshots apart fr... (none / 0) (#5)
by hattig on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 09:51:00 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

Anyone got any screenshots apart from the main icon menu screen?

Re: Anyone got any screenshots apart fr... (4.00 / 1) (#17)
by hattig on Sat Feb 26, 2000 at 09:02:38 AM EST

Hi,

i am at cebit at the moment, I have seen and plazed with the colour palm and the gps thing, with the mapping software in colour. The szstem seems limited sometimes, there are onlz 8 colours on screen for OS applications, although more can be shown bz applications that dont call the OS.

(German Kezboard, z and y swapped, š instead of Špostrophe etc9

Re: Anyone got any screenshots apart fr... (none / 0) (#21)
by rusty on Sat Feb 26, 2000 at 02:18:05 PM EST

I was in germany a few weeks ago and the Z/Y swapping thing drove me absolutely bonkers. I had to give a demo, and I was like "oops... oops.... oops" It probably looked like I didn't know how to type. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
seems more like an advertisement th... (none / 0) (#8)
by rajivvarma on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 12:37:40 PM EST

rajivvarma voted -1 on this story.

seems more like an advertisement than news

Rajiv Varma
Mirror of DeCSS.

Too short. Needs more to it.... (none / 0) (#3)
by ebunga on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 01:21:52 PM EST

ebunga voted -1 on this story.

Too short. Needs more to it.

Already been on ./ ... (none / 0) (#12)
by henrik on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 02:00:39 PM EST

henrik voted -1 on this story.

Already been on ./ i don't think posting it here would contribute much.

Akademiska Intresseklubben antecknar!

hmmm... expensive and colorful. ya... (none / 0) (#4)
by ramses0 on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 02:07:49 PM EST

ramses0 voted 0 on this story.

hmmm... expensive and colorful. yay.
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Bah...I just want to hear when they... (none / 0) (#9)
by Emacs on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 04:31:55 PM EST

Emacs voted -1 on this story.

Bah...I just want to hear when they go under $100.

Even though this already made it on... (none / 0) (#14)
by derick on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 05:14:34 PM EST

derick voted 1 on this story.

Even though this already made it on /. (and Ars) and I don't even own a Palm, I think these toys are smoove.

Who cares?... (none / 0) (#13)
by xah on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 07:54:17 PM EST

xah voted -1 on this story.

Who cares?

I would like to see this post spawn... (3.00 / 1) (#2)
by rongen on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 08:38:29 PM EST

rongen voted 1 on this story.

I would like to see this post spawn some discussion of how people are using PDAs in reality (most people I know use them as paper weights. I don't have one yet)
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Re: Use of PDA's (4.50 / 1) (#18)
by Matthew Guenther on Sat Feb 26, 2000 at 10:04:48 AM EST

I have one of the original Pilot 5000's (oops, am I allowed to call them that now :-), and I use it all the time. It's great for:

• Saving people's contact information: I can write it down as soon as I hear it, and then I have it forever.
  • Appointments: again, if I write it down as soon as I make the appointment, I know I will be reminded about the meeting no matter where I am. Also, I can take notes in a meeting and attach them to the appointment, so later I can look back and remember what was talked about at the last meeting.
  • Todo: I use it a lot for my groceries (when I run out of something I write it down, and then any time I pass a grocery store and have some time, I can get exactly what I need), and also for keeping track of various tasks at work.
  • Memos: Great for taking notes in a meeting, and keeping lists of things; I have all of my favorite recipies in it (for both shopping and in the kitchen), and lists of books, cd's and videos that I have seen and want to buy, or saw an ad for and would like to see.
  • Other: I've got a cribbage game on my pilot, so I can kill time before meetings start. Probably one of the best features! :-)

Basically, I think it has helped immensely in getting me organized, but it is like any other organizer in that you have to use it to get any benefit. The major advantage to it over other organizers is it's storage capacity, it's size, and it's interface. It can hold far more than most dayplanners, in a package small enough to fit in your pocket. The interface, while not especially easy to use, is also not especially difficult (i.e. it doesn't get in the way). This lets people use it more, which enhances it's usefulness greatly.

I've had several digital organizers before this one, but none of them were as useful, or have gotten as much use as my pilot. Definitely money well spent, IMHO.

MBG

One of these days ... (none / 0) (#22)
by joeyo on Sat Feb 26, 2000 at 07:34:40 PM EST

One of these days I'm gonna get a palm or a handspring. I've been waiting for the prices to come down a little and now this color palm dilutes things even more. Color is nice, but I hope it doesn't make the palm much thicker.

The other reason why I've been holding off from getting a palm is because I have a Timex Datalink watch. It certainly doesn't compete with the palm but it does store phone numbers and it is always with me. I am never, ever without my watch so I always have my phone number list with me. Honestly, I think that I wouldn't have my palm with me when I needed it- and if you can't enter or check data on the spot, you're better off with a scrap of paper...

Palm sucks - it's too damn expensiv... (1.00 / 1) (#16)
by shepd on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 10:18:23 PM EST

shepd voted -1 on this story.

Palm sucks - it's too damn expensive at $449 for a PIM.

A little more information in the st... (none / 0) (#10)
by Kip on Tue Feb 22, 2000 at 10:55:12 PM EST

Kip voted 0 on this story.

A little more information in the story would be preferable in the future.

geeknik.net had the scoop here. ;)... (1.00 / 1) (#11)
by mr. creep on Wed Feb 23, 2000 at 03:59:47 PM EST

mr. creep voted 0 on this story.

geeknik.net had the scoop here. ;)
brian - geeknik.net

on slashdot before yet again. don't... (1.00 / 1) (#15)
by renec on Thu Feb 24, 2000 at 03:15:57 PM EST

renec voted -1 on this story.

on slashdot before yet again. don't turn the site into a slashdot mirror! The people voting against science becuase it 'isn't technology' are on crack

Re: on slashdot before yet again. don't... (none / 0) (#19)
by mattdm on Sat Feb 26, 2000 at 01:07:36 PM EST

Two things - first, I don't think it was on Slashdot when I posted it. Second, I'd prefer to have an alternative to slashdot -- ideally, I'd never need to bother looking there. So, if something cool is posted to there, that shouldn't mean it can't get posted here -- otherwise, I'd never see it.

Good Quickie candidate, I think.... (1.00 / 1) (#7)
by Demona on Thu Feb 24, 2000 at 11:17:02 PM EST

Demona voted 0 on this story.

Good Quickie candidate, I think.

Color Palm Rocks (none / 0) (#23)
by Commienst on Mon May 08, 2000 at 02:03:18 AM EST

It has a 256 color display, a newer version of palm os (version 3.5), comes with a rechargeable lithum ion battery, and 8mb or RAM. Most people think that color would kill the battery life; yes it does take a little extra out of the battery but you can use it for 2 weeks for 40 minutes each day without having to recharge. Plus the fact that it only takes 40 minutes to fully charge battery life should not be any problem. The color screen is easier to read than the monochrome palm's in every situation except when you are directly in a lot of sunlight.

Color Palm[Pilot] out now | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)