Internet over power lines

By Philipp in News
Wed Feb 23, 2000 at 09:15:06 AM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

What sounded like a completely wacky idea seems to become really serious right now: Internet over your power lines. One of the big German utility companies, VEBA, announced at CeBit (babelfish into English) that the technology has basically matured. The service at 2MBit/s was tested over the period of one year in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt. It might be ready by next year. Wow.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

o announced at CeBit
o babelfish into English
o Also by Philipp

Internet over power lines | 7 comments (7 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
what can I say, I'm interested in t... (none / 0) (#3)
by Xtacy on Wed Feb 23, 2000 at 09:02:53 AM EST

Xtacy voted 1 on this story.

what can I say, I'm interested in this :)

More high-speed access. I like tha... (none / 0) (#1)
by bmetzler on Wed Feb 23, 2000 at 09:04:46 AM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

More high-speed access. I like that.
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

Makes me think of 'gasema', a parod... (none / 0) (#2)
by fvw on Wed Feb 23, 2000 at 09:05:47 AM EST

fvw voted 1 on this story.

Makes me think of 'gasema', a parody site of the dutch cable(internet) provider casema. They made it internet of the gas pipes... very funny.

Re: Internet over power lines (none / 0) (#4)
by Emacs on Wed Feb 23, 2000 at 09:28:38 AM EST

This brings us one step closer to the Jetsons. Lots of interesting implications here, like being able to easily put your home appliances on the web. (That would certainly give the crackers of the world something to smile about!)

My question is how are they going to charge for it and how would the Amercan power co.s charge for it if we went that route here in the USA.

I love reading the Babelfish translations, it's the only time I get to see grammer that's worse than mine :)

Re: Internet over power lines (none / 0) (#5)
by Anonymous Hero on Wed Feb 23, 2000 at 12:36:21 PM EST

Problems with transferring data over power lines is that they provide a noisy environment, and the power lines are not well balanced, and tend to radiate and interfere with other services.

Course, if it does work (hmm...) then the infrastructure is there ... I'm sure the power line operators could see this as a nice juicy cash cow.

Re: Internet over power lines (none / 0) (#7)
by joeyo on Thu Feb 24, 2000 at 12:37:49 AM EST

I'm no electrical engineer (yet ;) but it seems like the technical problems would be formidable. It would work like multiplexing, right? Just like phone multiplexing but with even more frequencies. Couldn't you really screw with everyone (or at least with the people sharing your local transformer) by running something with a very high inductance to give a big phase shift?- some sort of big motor maybe?

Gimme the net NOW (none / 0) (#6)
by shepd on Wed Feb 23, 2000 at 01:57:44 PM EST

I need the net through power lines - where I live, the phone company doesn't give a damn, nor does the cable co. And if you phone 1-888-direc-pc (our countries satellite internet provider), and ask them for service, you'll get a laugh instead.

Haha. Power lines would give me the last laugh!

Internet over power lines | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)