Boys will be boys...

By Emacs in News
Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 07:31:54 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

The Register has this story about how Sun Microsystems hired 20 exterminator trucks to drive around the Moscone Convention Center on the day Microsoft released Win2000. The article made me think about how me and my sisters used to fight when we were kids. I have to wonder how much all of the negative advertising that Sun and Microsoft partake in actually has any effect.

It's really a shame that as a society we seem to really focus on negative advertisement as a means to an end. If you look at society as a whole you see it's not just tech companies either. Polititcians spend more time attacking their competition than they do talking about their platform. What ever happened to actually running on the issues?

Sun and Microsoft attack each other on an alomost daily basis. It would seem that mud-slinging and misleading benchmarks are more important than the actual technology. I think this makes it more dificult for the IT manager who is trying to find the best tool for his problem.

Where does it all end?

o story
o Also by Emacs

Boys will be boys... | 14 comments (14 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Kinda pointless. We can wring our h... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by lachoy on Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 10:00:29 AM EST

lachoy voted -1 on this story.

Kinda pointless. We can wring our hands all we want about just how terrible this or that misleading benchmark is, but we're not the ones making the decisions. And they're not going to listen as long as they make money.
M-x auto-bs-mode

I like the focus on accentuating th... (4.00 / 1) (#5)
by Demona on Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 10:18:01 AM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

I like the focus on accentuating the positive and working to eliminate the negative, even if I think the headline is sexist.

Put the second and third paragraphs... (2.00 / 1) (#4)
by bmetzler on Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 11:01:50 AM EST

bmetzler voted -1 on this story.

Put the second and third paragraphs under the main section. Thanks.

Oh, about the story itself. Marketing is wierd sometimes. Oh well. At least it wasn't as stupid as Microsoft's "marketing attempt" that was previous posted involving their wonderful response to the "attack".
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

interesting...but I'm not too big o... (1.00 / 1) (#6)
by rajivvarma on Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 12:36:02 PM EST

rajivvarma voted -1 on this story.

interesting...but I'm not too big on having a HUGE summary page

Rajiv Varma
Mirror of DeCSS.

I hadn't heard about the exterminat... (4.00 / 1) (#3)
by joeyo on Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 12:52:37 PM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

I hadn't heard about the exterminator prank but its actually kind of funny :)

Now as for political mudslinging, when you have a party system like we do in the US where the two parties are so freaking similar I guess you have to use negative campaigns because there sure ain't too much of a difference between their platforms.

I have a semi-related story about a... (4.00 / 1) (#2)
by dblslash on Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 02:09:11 PM EST

dblslash voted 1 on this story.

I have a semi-related story about a couple of members of my local LUG. On the release date of Win2k, MS had a press conference/demonstration/cocktail party in Boston. Well, about four of the members crashed the party, and started handing out Linux CDs. They regaled us all with their Black Ops adventure, of how they avoided the security guards for awhile, only to finally be cornered and thrown out. They did have a rather humourous anecdote about a bug that occured during the demonstration, but for the most part, they simply seemed to have had a rather childish time of simply spreading discontent throughout the gathering. I'm not sure if I'm entirely comfortable with their actions, as it does seem to me to be downright sneaky.

Re: I have a semi-related story about a... (none / 0) (#10)
by Demona on Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 10:19:10 PM EST

I'd like more information on this. I don't see anything wrong with a confrontational style, but it must be done with politeness and respect as well as a sense of humor. Was the event by invitation only, or open to the public? I'm all for mediapathic manipulation -- as long as it isn't mean-spirited, and focuses more on the good qualities of "our side" rather than the bad aspects of "their side." (Say, ESR dressing up as Obi-Wan Kenobi. Kind of annoying to some in the community, while others saw it in a positive light.)

I'm don't care much about Microsoft... (2.00 / 1) (#7)
by neonman on Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 05:05:01 PM EST

neonman voted 1 on this story.

I'm don't care much about Microsoft and sun (except when I have to use microsoft products :(... that can be really bad) I just find sun's use of exterminator trucks to be really funny and creative. As for IT manager types, they should be able to see through this crap. If I was in an IT management possition, (and I have been) I would be using linux anyway.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

Re: Boys will be boys... (4.00 / 1) (#8)
by Inoshiro on Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 08:45:20 PM EST

"t's really a shame that as a society we seem to really focus on negative advertisement as a means to an end. If you look at society as a whole you see it's not just tech companies either. Polititcians spend more time attacking their competition than they do talking about their platform. What ever happened to actually running on the issues?"

I'm sorry, but this isn't true in Canada. Except for the odd person, the political side of things is generally a lot better understood and discussed. Even when people are being wags about a subject, it is properly presented. Take "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" -- it's only funny if you understand the politics, but when it's funny, it's hillarious. Heck, it's the most unbiased way of keeping on top of political news that I find on my TV today :)

[ イノシロ ]
Re: Boys will be boys... (none / 0) (#11)
by Sean Hope on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 04:32:44 AM EST

Coming from Canada, I agree... it seems that generally the most ill-informed person is Cretien himself. "This Hour" is great too... they had a classic episode where Rick Mercer took Jean Cretien out to dinner at a Harveys... Mercer dissed him the whole time and Jean had no idea what was going on.

Re: Boys will be boys... (4.00 / 1) (#13)
by Anonymous Hero on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 12:56:09 PM EST

Knowing Chretien, he might very well be faking it; it seems to have been his metier for much of his political career. You don't last 30 years in politics by being completely clueless, unless God does indeed protect fools and little children.

That being said, I think going to dinner with Rick Mercer would disorient just about anyone.

geez, you guys (none / 0) (#9)
by xah on Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 09:43:08 PM EST

I thought it was hilarious! Imagine Bill Gates's limo trying to maneuver through all the big exterminator trucks. And on the way to the Windows 2000 announcement. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

Re: Boys will be boys... (none / 0) (#12)
by Timex on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 09:43:39 AM EST

:) Kinda reminds me of the antics of Cabletron Systems' Bob Levigne and Craig Benson. Things like taking a sledge hammer to a Cisco router on the manufacturing floor at Cabletron (it's a long story; e-mail me if you want details), a "boxing match" between a muscular "Cabletron" and a wimpy "Cisco" at a trade show, etc.... <shrug>
The Lord God is subtle, but malicious, He is not. --Einstein
-=-
Bill Smith
Fall River, MA
Huh? Where am I? (none / 0) (#14)
by butfuk on Thu Oct 31, 2002 at 06:22:49 PM EST

Time warp?

Unix and C are the ultimate computer viruses.
Boys will be boys... | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)