Woman Patents Herself

By skim123 in News
Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 05:45:37 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

According to this article on ABCNews.com, an English woman has attempted to patent herself. Supposedly she is angered over British companies vying for patents to specific gene patterns, so she's patented her own gene pattern to "protect [her] invention [(her genome)] from unauthorized exploitation, genetic or otherwise."

Freakin' crazy. What would be funny is if they found some important genetic sequence that she possessed that cured cancer, or something like that. And this lady wanted royalties or whatnot... Interesting times we live in.

o article
o ABCNews.co m
o Also by skim123

Woman Patents Herself | 14 comments (14 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
YES! More individuals getting off t... (none / 0) (#5)
by Demona on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 04:36:56 PM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

YES! More individuals getting off their duffs and challenging the status quo. This lady's got balls as big as church bells! Regardless of the outcome, public awareness of the issues will be raised.

Pretty cool I guess. As long as ge... (none / 0) (#3)
by joeyo on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 04:55:32 PM EST

joeyo voted 1 on this story.

Pretty cool I guess. As long as genes can be patented she should be able to do so.

Hmm, if I had the forsight I would have patented the woman years ago, how cool would that be? :)

Re: Pretty cool I guess. As long as ge... (none / 0) (#8)
by rusty on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 05:46:41 PM EST

I'm submitting the patent application for joeyo's gene sequence even as we speak. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Curse you Rusty!! :-) (none / 0) (#10)
by joeyo on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 11:44:28 PM EST

Just promise me you will use the genes of my studly self for good and not evil...

Re: Curse you Rusty!! :-) (none / 0) (#14)
by rusty on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 08:51:24 PM EST

<LAUGH TYPE="evil">Mwaaaahahahahaha....</LAUGH>

And they said I was MAD at the University! I'll show them who's MAD!!!

____
Not the real rusty

This is an interesting spin-off of ... (none / 0) (#2)
by rongen on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 04:58:00 PM EST

rongen voted 1 on this story.

This is an interesting spin-off of bio-tech... Definitely fits the "technology and culture" bill!
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Whoah. Can she patent her own genet... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by rusty on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 05:17:34 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Whoah. Can she patent her own genetic sequence without actually knowing what it is? I.E., will this stunt actually fly? Interesting protest, in any case.

____
Not the real rusty

I have to wonder if there is a more... (none / 0) (#6)
by Emacs on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 05:21:32 PM EST

Emacs voted 1 on this story.

I have to wonder if there is a more modern (ie... intelligent) way to handle the need for patents. It would seem that we have morphed it into something it wasn't meant to be. But alas... you can't stop progress

I've had this idea myself. I hate t... (none / 0) (#7)
by xah on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 05:29:33 PM EST

xah voted 1 on this story.

I've had this idea myself. I hate the way patents are commercializing ideas.

I think we should all automatically... (none / 0) (#4)
by ramses0 on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 05:34:45 PM EST

ramses0 voted 1 on this story.

I think we should all automatically be protected by a patent. If we can't patent ourselves, then who really owns us? (note, this is moderately serious) --Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Re: Woman Patents Herself (4.00 / 1) (#9)
by adamant on Tue Feb 29, 2000 at 10:56:48 PM EST

DNA patents have always disturbed me. What happens when some organization _does_ patent the genetic treatment for cancer. When I get cancer do I have to license the cure from the patent holder? What if I pirate the patent holder's intellectual property by unlawfully sublicensing it to my offspring? Instead of having a potential spouse sign a prenuptial agreement do we have them sign an NDA instead? And if you think that the RIAA is bad, how bad would the DNAIAA be? Ugh.
I'm scaring myself now.

Seriously, public stunts like these are probably the best way to bring these issues into the limelight. To finish making her point, maybe now this woman should sue her children for patent infringement!

Prior art? (none / 0) (#11)
by fvw on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 05:02:33 AM EST

Can she do that? I think it's clear that this has prior art. After all, she's gotten the dna from her parents. She just combined a little... Unless you count the mutations that is.

According to Microsoft its innovation. :) (none / 0) (#13)
by addison on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 01:30:04 PM EST

Combining 2 dissimilar parts into a whole, right? :)

And art, as per the last DoJ case hearings. :)

Addison

Hasn't exactly this come up? (none / 0) (#12)
by addison on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 01:28:12 PM EST

Ok, my brain is failing me right now as I ponder a shell script - but I thought there was a case....

I'll say what I remember, maybe it will jog someone else's mind.

Woman? Died years ago with a illness. Tissue samples taken, replicated, grown for years and years in labs - so "she's" now all over the world, in almost every major city - her DNA/cells used to test and make new drugs and such.

Her? family sues over the fact that she? either never signed anything donating the tissue, or giving anything away, and wanting pieces of the (very large) pies that are resulting from work with her? tissue.

I think the courts tossed it... But it was exactly this sort of case - plenty of people getting VERY rich with the "body" of someone, who wasn't (or estate) getting anything.

Addison

Woman Patents Herself | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)