Mainstream look at encrypted email

By fluffy grue in News
Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 12:13:38 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

An article on CNN tries to shed some light on the mainstream regarding email privacy, encryption, spoofing, and the S/MIME standardization effort. Not very high-detail, but it's nice to see this sort of mainstream coverage shedding light on why we need more accessible strong encryption.

o article on CNN
o Also by fluffy grue

Mainstream look at encrypted email | 10 comments (10 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
it is nice to see this to inform th... (2.00 / 1) (#4)
by rajivvarma on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 10:51:30 PM EST

rajivvarma voted -1 on this story.

it is nice to see this to inform the general public but it's not an interesting discussion piece

Rajiv Varma
Mirror of DeCSS.

A tad marginal.. Neutrality :-)... (2.00 / 1) (#3)
by Inoshiro on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:26:40 AM EST

Inoshiro voted 0 on this story.

A tad marginal.. Neutrality :-)

[ イノシロ ]

Very good article.... (none / 0) (#2)
by ramses0 on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:36:26 AM EST

ramses0 voted 1 on this story.

Very good article.
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

get yourself PGP with a 4096 bit ke... (2.00 / 1) (#5)
by mr. creep on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:59:01 AM EST

mr. creep voted 0 on this story.

get yourself PGP with a 4096 bit key. you are safe. :)
brian - geeknik.net

Re: get yourself PGP with a 4096 bit ke... (none / 0) (#8)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:02:23 PM EST

Not if you encrypt the private key with a weak passphrase.

Or if you have BackOrifice, NetBus, or some other trojan installed on your system, and the attacker can watch your keystrokes.

Re: get yourself PGP with a 4096 bit ke... (none / 0) (#10)
by fvw on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 10:13:12 AM EST

Just a weak passphrase isn't going to do it, you still need access to the (encrypted) private key.

I don't think it's at our level.. a... (none / 0) (#6)
by kraant on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 06:48:57 AM EST

kraant voted -1 on this story.

I don't think it's at our level.. and it isn't pathetic enough to point and laugh at ;)
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

I really wanted to say "Post it!" b... (2.00 / 1) (#1)
by techt on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 07:26:10 AM EST

techt voted 0 on this story.

I really wanted to say "Post it!" but the CNN article is very short and just touches the surface. I'm not so sure it tells the average Kuro5hin.org reader anything she doesn't already know.
Proud member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation!
Are You? http://www.eff.org/support/joineff.html

The average k5 reader (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 12:47:32 PM EST

Hmm, what should we assume about the average readers here?

I hate the way Slashdot readers all reckon that they are highly intelligent 'geeks', when blatantly most of them know very little about most topics posted there (despite all the noise they make).

p.s. Maybe Rusty could do a series of articles about programming cgi/dbi/mysql and various tips. I'm about to start doing that kind of stuff in a separate project in my spare time, and so it would be handy to know where the pitfalls are. Security tips especially appreciated.

Re: The average k5 reader (5.00 / 1) (#9)
by rusty on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 09:42:22 PM EST

That's not a bad idea. I haven't written anything in a while, and I've been thinking I should.

<TEASER>
There will be an article tomorrow, by me and someone else. :-)
</TEASER>

Also, I wonder what "the average" reader is like here too. I suspect that the profile of "the average" reader wouldn't actually fit any of us, since I'm pretty sure we're all very unique.

____
Not the real rusty

Mainstream look at encrypted email | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)