Hacker plan: take down the Net

By rajivvarma in News
Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 12:15:05 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

According to msnbc.com, "Coolio", the "hacker" who took down some pretty big sites using the DOS method, intended on crippling the Internet. the link is here. Do you think this is an accurate report or just another piece of sensationalism?

He took down Yahoo, the world's most popular Web site, and started a rash of attacks on the Internet's biggest companies. Authorities still don't know for sure who's responsible. But investigators have been told that "he" is "Coolio" - a 17-year-old New England high school dropout who regularly gets high by drinking cough syrup. Several sources have come forward to tell MSNBC - and say they've told the FBI - that Coolio attacked Yahoo and several other Web sites last month. Why the accusations? In part, they say, because Coolio had much more ominous plans. According to one associate, he wanted to use the power he'd amassed - over 1,000 so-called "zombie" computers - to cripple the entire Internet.

o Yahoo
o msnbc.com
o here
o Also by rajivvarma

Hacker plan: take down the Net | 23 comments (23 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
(Little gripe: It'd be nice if Scoo... (2.00 / 1) (#11)
by fluffy grue on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 11:27:49 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

(Little gripe: It'd be nice if Scoop could apply the Demoronizer to posted features to get rid of those braindead ?s on non-MS browsers.)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

it's sensationalism... (2.00 / 2) (#9)
by Philipp on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 11:56:01 PM EST

Philipp voted -1 on this story.

it's sensationalism

alias kn 'killall -9 netscape-communicator'

Now exaclty quality reporting, meth... (2.00 / 2) (#5)
by Inoshiro on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:25:14 AM EST

Inoshiro voted -1 on this story.

Now exaclty quality reporting, methinks. A teenage dropout who drinks cough syrup? Sounds like what the media wants you to hear, rather than "normal, smart looking people convince older morons to run email attachments." Bah.

[ イノシロ ]

Sensationalist article... I'll wait... (1.00 / 1) (#10)
by kraant on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:28:19 AM EST

kraant voted -1 on this story.

Sensationalist article... I'll wait for a proper analysis of what happened thanks
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

very thorough writeup.... (none / 0) (#2)
by ramses0 on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:46:08 AM EST

ramses0 voted 1 on this story.

very thorough writeup.
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

blah blah blah. who cares. it's j... (2.00 / 1) (#7)
by mr. creep on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:58:20 AM EST

mr. creep voted 0 on this story.

blah blah blah. who cares. it's just the 'internet'. it's not like it's the long distance phone service or cable tv. :)
brian - geeknik.net

This is obviously just stupid. Pure... (1.00 / 1) (#8)
by fvw on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 05:30:11 AM EST

fvw voted 1 on this story.

This is obviously just stupid. Pure sensationalism. However, that's fun too, so post it!

Not accurate. Refers to hackers as... (1.00 / 1) (#12)
by TomG on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 05:41:29 AM EST

TomG voted -1 on this story.

Not accurate. Refers to hackers as terrorists.

Re: Not accurate. Refers to hackers as... (none / 0) (#14)
by ramses0 on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 12:27:12 PM EST

I don't see "terror" or "terrorists" anywhere in the story (I read it a while ago, and just did a Ctl-F to find "terror"). To what are you referring?

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]
Re: Not accurate. Refers to hackers as... (none / 0) (#23)
by TomG on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 03:11:23 AM EST

It refers to hackers as cyber vandals. Crackers. Terrorists. Wrong.

It's probably made up nonsense- but... (1.00 / 1) (#6)
by Strange Charmed One on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 06:25:38 AM EST

Strange Charmed One voted 1 on this story.

It's probably made up nonsense- but interesting all the same. Why would a H4X0R want to take down the web?- isn't it kind of self defeating?
Feel the urge to put excessively cute little quotes into your .sig?

JUST SAY NO!

If you or one of your friends is frequently plagued by this tendency, Help IS available- Ask me how.

Re: It's probably made up nonsense- but... (3.00 / 3) (#13)
by ramses0 on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 12:23:10 PM EST

Why would somebody want to troll slashdot? Isn't that kindof self-defeating? ;^)=

Seriously: if you're a teen with something to prove, taking down the internet is just the same as shooting cars with BB guns, spraypainting graffiti on overpasses, or any number of dumb things that kids do because they can.

I wouldn't doubt that he could r00t 1000 computers, I imagine that both you and I could do this as well if given enough time and incentive. With the picture that they portray of this guy I don't doubt that he had enough of both. :^|=

Too bad he's working for the dark side. It's easier to destroy than create, but both (in this case) require some understanding. It'd be interesting to hear what he has to offer the conversation?

--Robert

[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]
Re: It's probably made up nonsense- but... (3.50 / 2) (#21)
by fluffy grue on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 08:28:22 PM EST

Hey, now, I've seen some incredible feats of... well, stupidity, I guess, but a lot of creativity goes in to some of the graffiti I've seen. Like something sprayed on the underside of an underpass, nowhere NEAR any convenient handholds or whatever.

That said, yeah, they could use that creativity for, oh, desigining truly squirrel-proof birdfeeders or something.

I don't think this case was anything which took much intelligence, though, just time and patience. Plenty of rootkits have existed for years for all the various OSes out there, and ping -f has existed for even longer.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

I wonder how much of this is true? ... (2.00 / 2) (#1)
by rongen on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 07:22:09 AM EST

rongen voted 1 on this story.

I wonder how much of this is true? If they have enough evidence to arrest how is it possible that there is "no chance" of a conviction.... Surely there must be a "chance"? Could this be a cover-up of some kind? The American "authorities" are not exactly innocent of using scapegoats when they can't get thier man....
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

17 years old? That's unbelievable!... (1.00 / 1) (#4)
by bmetzler on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 10:13:28 AM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

17 years old? That's unbelievable!
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

I thought Coolio was some mid-90's ... (1.00 / 1) (#3)
by hattig on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 11:38:49 AM EST

hattig voted 0 on this story.

I thought Coolio was some mid-90's rap singer... :-)

Re: I thought Coolio was some mid-90's ... (2.00 / 1) (#18)
by kraant on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:41:39 PM EST

He was... he did that song Gangsters Paradise I think
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...
Deleting Evidence (3.00 / 1) (#15)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 12:32:15 PM EST

MSBNC (or whatever) say that Coolio reckons he is safe because he has deleted the stuff off his computer. Come on ... all data put onto a disk will leave some trace, e.g. the disk head moves slightly over time. That's how they got that English doctor killer (he thought after he had changed the logs to read that an 80-year old woman had a morphine addiction, he would be safe), and if the FBI is involved, you can be sure that they will recover whatever evidence is necessary off his hard disk!

My comments or opinions have nothing to do with my employer.

Re: Deleting Evidence (3.00 / 2) (#16)
by ramses0 on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 12:37:00 PM EST

The fact remains though that they might find TFN or DDoS tools, but they can't definitively say: "You typed in 'start ping-o-death' at 12:45pm three weeks ago" (I don't think, anyway).

They might be able to show that he was logged in to the controlling computers at a certain time, (which should be enough to convict him IMHO), but at least in windows, it doesn't keep command histories stored anywhere on disk.

Even if he were using *nix on his computer, commands he typed into a telnet session would not be saved anywhere on his disks.

I dunno, it'll be a good amount of work for whoever investigates it.

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]
Re: Deleting Evidence (3.00 / 1) (#17)
by Anonymous Hero on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 12:52:27 PM EST

That's true enough, but if he had r00ted 1000 odd machines, he surely wouldn't remember the names/IP addresses of all of them off by heart, and would have kept a list of them somewhere on his hard disk.

Of course, he could have committed them all to memory, or wrote them down on a piece of paper which got deposited in a bin in the middle of New York or whatever!

Any opinions expressed have nothing to do with my employer.

Re: Deleting Evidence (none / 0) (#19)
by fluffy grue on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:59:54 PM EST

Coolio probably also thinks he's safe because he's so high on cough syrup. :)

Seriously, though, this is the sort of thing which someone would have to be absolutely stupid to lay claim to. This isn't just spamming a discussion board or anything. Personally, though, I still think there's merit to the NSA conspiracy theory, and that this stupid 17-year-old kid decided to pull a Sparticus ("I'm Sparticus!" "No, I'm Sparticus!") and now he's immediately regretting it, hiding, etc. He was probably high on cough syrup at the time.

Sorry, I just can't get past the way they start the description of 'Coolio', "a 17-year-old New England high school dropout who regularly gets high by drinking cough syrup."
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Deleting Evidence (none / 0) (#20)
by rusty on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 05:17:13 PM EST

yeah, I got a jolt from that too. I kinda expected them to continue in that vein, like...

SEVERAL SOURCES HAVE come forward to tell MSNBC - and say they've told the FBI - that Coolio (a 17-year-old New England high school dropout who regularly gets high by drinking cough syrup, is a confirmed sociopathic loser, once called his grandmother a "nasty old wrinkled ho-bag" and gets his jollies by watching monkeys fling feces in the zoo) attacked Yahoo and several other Web sites last month.

Does that mean there's something wrong with me? ;-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Deleting Evidence (none / 0) (#22)
by fluffy grue on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 08:29:48 PM EST

Does that mean there's something wrong with me? ;-)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Hacker plan: take down the Net | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)