1-GHz Pentium III computers coming this month

By rajivvarma in News
Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:20:18 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

From cnet comes news that Hewlett-Packard will start shipping PCs containing a 1Ghz P3 later this month. I know Intel is doing this for symbolic reasons, but it seems that they are jumping the gun in rolling them out, especially considering that a faster processor doesn't necessarily mean a faster computer. Except for people in graphics and data-intensive jobs, who really needs a 1Ghz P3?

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

o cnet
o news
o Hewlett-Pa ckard
o Also by rajivvarma

1-GHz Pentium III computers coming this month | 18 comments (18 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I agree with the poster; 1 GHz is W... (4.00 / 1) (#12)
by fluffy grue on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 11:30:30 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

I agree with the poster; 1 GHz is WAY more than people need, and do they really want to put up with the unavoidable temperature-related instabilities, huge electric bills, and high price tag just so that they can think they're on top of it for about six more months until 2GHz CPUs are standard issue? Then again, I do all my graphics research at home on a lowly Celery300 OCed to 338, and that's more than enough for my needs... The computing industry has gone insane. I'd rather see good, mid-level CPUs get cheaper, rather than obsoleted...
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

CPU's ain't the bottleneck (none / 0) (#13)
by Demona on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 02:08:58 PM EST

Efficiency is preferable to raw power that just gets wasted. To that end I'd go with things like SCSI over IDE; a separate, dedicated RAID-striped drive for swap; the fastest RAM available; and as little "legacy" equipment as practically possible. (Unfortunately, most of the newer boxen being sold that try to ditch legacy stuff go the extra mile by taking out all those "confusing" expansion slots, turning it into a glorified black box with a sealed hood.)

What are your favorite speed tweaks, both at the hardware and software levels?

-dj

speed freak

Re: I agree with the poster; 1 GHz is W... (none / 0) (#14)
by joeyo on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 03:27:30 PM EST

I can't fully agree with the sentiment that 1GHz or really any computer speed is "WAY more than people need". Sure it's "WAY more than people need for word processing" or even "WAY more than people need for web surfing", but if the power is there it WILL be put to use. I don't pretend to know what this use is but there are a lot of bright people out there and someone will come up with something. :) Look for games to lead us.

Admittedly, as another poster pointed out, the real bottleneck isn't in CPU speed, it's in bandwidth. This has probably always been the case but it is more evident now and will become more and more evident. I cringe every time I see the Intel ad which equates a faster processor to a better Internet experience. Also, I'm not sure if the average user fully realizes that a 1GHz probably is not twice as fast a 500MHz computer...

But if nothing else, at least this forces prices down for slower CPUs.

Re: I agree with the poster; 1 GHz is W... (none / 0) (#15)
by Zer0 on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 05:59:41 PM EST

Heres a few: Realtime rendering, raytracing, distributed.net, compilling and the most important one.. games!.

Re: I agree with the poster; 1 GHz is W... (2.00 / 1) (#17)
by rusty on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 09:38:56 PM EST

I have two machines-- Paranoia (which runs this site) is a dual PPro 180 OC to 220. Velocity is a dual P3 450. The funniest thing I run into is when I tell people they're dual processor boxen, they invariably say "So it's really like using a 900MhZ machine?" :-)

Then I have to explain that, no, it's not really like using a 900 MhZ machine (whatever that would be "like") but that it just means I can compile a kernel really fast (with -j3). That it, in fact, is exactly like having two 450MhZ processors.

Then everyone says "So, maybe I should get a dual processor machine for my next..." and I ask if they're prepared to run linux or NT or another OS that can make any use at all of the second processor. Funny thing, people generally get kind of upset that "that other" OS can't do SMP yet. ;-)

____
Not the real rusty

A small case study. (none / 0) (#16)
by static on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 07:41:56 PM EST

I have three PCs at home for various purposes. The slowest is a P100 with 48MB RAM. It's my server. The next slowest is a K6 200 with 64MB of RAM. I use it for everything I don't use the fastest one for. The fastest one is a PIII 500 with 128MB RAM (recently upgraded from a Celeron 300A). It's for games and sound editing. It's also the only one in the sights for upgrades.

Wade.

Bah... This never ends. We need fas... (none / 0) (#6)
by Emacs on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 11:30:43 PM EST

Emacs voted -1 on this story.

Bah... This never ends. We need faster hard drives, memory, etc...

I need faster machines, so my resea... (none / 0) (#9)
by Philipp on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 11:54:48 PM EST

Philipp voted 1 on this story.

I need faster machines, so my research experiments don't run for days, but, well, fewer days.

alias kn 'killall -9 netscape-communicator'

I do not care about the hardware wa... (none / 0) (#4)
by Nyarlathotep on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 12:04:59 AM EST

Nyarlathotep voted -1 on this story.

I do not care about the hardware wars.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

Time to discuss why high Mhz is bad... (none / 0) (#5)
by Inoshiro on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:30:00 AM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

Time to discuss why high Mhz is bad :-)

[ イノシロ ]

AMD > Intel. :)... (none / 0) (#7)
by mr. creep on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:57:16 AM EST

mr. creep voted 0 on this story.

AMD > Intel. :)
brian - geeknik.net

Quite OT, but still: where are the ... (none / 0) (#8)
by fvw on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 05:26:18 AM EST

fvw voted 1 on this story.

Quite OT, but still: where are the dual athlon MoBo's? I'm still waiting to build a dual 1G athlon system... 1g athlons shouldn't be long now...

No-one realy ... (none / 0) (#10)
by kraant on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 06:41:12 AM EST

kraant voted 0 on this story.

No-one realy
Especialy Considering an apple half it's speed will probably still be much faster
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

Wow, I didn't realize Intel was thi... (none / 0) (#3)
by bmetzler on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 10:20:49 AM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

Wow, I didn't realize Intel was this close to releasing their 1g chip. I though it wouldn't be tell much later this year.
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

Also, AMD will be releasing their 9... (3.00 / 1) (#2)
by hattig on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 11:35:48 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

Also, AMD will be releasing their 900MHz, 950MHz and 1GHz chips in a triple whammy for Intel. Read about it here. I imagine that they will release them just before Intel release their 7 1GHz Pentium III's to HP. I saw several 1GHz Athlon machines at CeBIT (I missed out on the 1.1GHz Athlon, that was upstairs for press people), and these were normal air-cooled machines.

My P200MMX is just fine, thank you.... (none / 0) (#1)
by ramses0 on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 12:04:56 PM EST

ramses0 voted 0 on this story.

My P200MMX is just fine, thank you. Since I don't play games (much), I think I'll wait until all this new technology gets cheap before I go out and get it. --Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

I need a 1Gz computer. hehehe.... (none / 0) (#11)
by Strider on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:20:18 PM EST

Strider voted 1 on this story.

I need a 1Gz computer. hehehe.
"it's like having gravity suddenly replaced by cheez-whiz" - rusty

Re: 1-GHz Pentium III computers coming this month (none / 0) (#18)
by lintux on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 10:08:44 PM EST

Isn't Intel a little bit late? 1 GHz Athlons exist for quite some time already, don't they?
Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread :)
1-GHz Pentium III computers coming this month | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)