Huge New Displays Support NTSC, HDTV, and XGA

By Yardley in News
Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 09:37:52 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

MacCentral reports that Princeton Graphics has introduced two new multimedia displays, the Arcadia T-series AR3.2T and AR2.7T, both of which support regular television NTSC, digital television DTV/HDTV, and computer video VGA/SVGA/XGA. The size and price are right: US $1,429 for the 27-inch viewable and US $1,999 for the 32-inch viewable. For comparison, the Apple Cinema Display costs $3,999 and is a 22-inch flat panel. But it does do 1600x1024 in a letterbox format (nice for DVDs) and is probably easier on the eyes up close.

o MacCentral
o Princeton Graphics
o Arcadia T-series AR3.2T and AR2.7T,
o Apple Cinema Display
o Also by Yardley

Huge New Displays Support NTSC, HDTV, and XGA | 22 comments (22 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Nice but not earthshaking. (Wonder ... (none / 0) (#4)
by Demona on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 10:36:07 AM EST

Demona voted 0 on this story.

Nice but not earthshaking. (Wonder if they support that "display encryption" nonsense?) I'd prefer to see product reviews either saved up and posted quickie-style, or given their own section. (You'll know you've arrived when people start flaming you for selling out to corporate interests...)

Ah, flat panel displays. Cool!... (none / 0) (#2)
by bmetzler on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 10:44:48 AM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

Ah, flat panel displays. Cool!
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

This is not Technology news, this i... (none / 0) (#12)
by Markee on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 10:49:50 AM EST

Markee voted -1 on this story.

This is not Technology news, this is marketing news. It may be an interesting hint for Apple users, but I feel this is not the place for purchase hints.

Re: This is not Technology news, this i... (none / 0) (#16)
by Yardley on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 11:14:18 PM EST

I think you're missing the point. These are general monitors (designed for PCs from the ground up) which represent the cutting edge of CRT display technology. They support all the important formats of now & the near future in one box. This is not the norm. And they're huge without costing an outrageous sum. I can't afford them. But knowing that 27-inch computer monitor costs $1,500 now means that in a few years $750 will get me one (so long as my .com investments go as planned ;-). 'Course by then we might have ubiquitous electric paper display technology. Who knows. The Apple LCD was added for comparison because it too represents the pinnacle of its class. If you're interested, Sony's 34-inch HDTVs cost $7,000 apiece and aren't made any smaller.

Ahh, finally, LCD monitors with a r... (none / 0) (#11)
by fluffy grue on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 11:14:43 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Ahh, finally, LCD monitors with a reasonable price:size ratio; comparable to CRTs, in fact. Now if only they'd extend that curve to 17"s. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Oops, misunderstanding on my part (none / 0) (#17)
by fluffy grue on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 02:09:10 PM EST

This is why I've tended to stop making comments in article moderations; when I did that moderation, I didn't understand that they were CRTs, and not LCDs, and I really wanted to go back and change both my vote and my comment. Any chance of implementing that, Rusty?
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Oops, misunderstanding on my part (none / 0) (#18)
by rusty on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 07:45:23 PM EST

Nope. Eventually you'll learn to pay attention before you vote. :-)

Seriously, though, I'm very hesitant to alow vote-changing, because once you've voted, and seen others' comments, I consider you 'tainted' as far as your unbiased, honest opinion of the story. I know that sometimes people mis-vote, or misread or whatever. Its unfortunate, but not a huge issue in the long run. I think it's more improtant to get unbiased votes in the vast majority of cases then it is to fix the occasional slip-o-the mouse.

If you can come up with a good way to solve the problem though, that preserves the current nature of the process, please suggest!

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Oops, misunderstanding on my part (none / 0) (#19)
by fluffy grue on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 09:38:27 PM EST

How about allowing us to remove comments, including vote comments, which have had no responses so far, in order to save face? That'd make a lot of us happier, to be sure, and kill -1 two proverbial birds with one stone.

On a related note, how about allowing a topic for vote comments?
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Oops, misunderstanding on my part (none / 0) (#20)
by fluffy grue on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 09:41:23 PM EST

Er, by "topic" I meant "subject." Woops. (And if we were allowed to delete misposts, I wouldn't have had to make this followup. ;)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Oops, misunderstanding on my part (none / 0) (#21)
by rusty on Sat Mar 04, 2000 at 09:50:30 PM EST

Subject for vote comments is a good idea. I also will allow deleting comments that haven't started a thread. These things are all coming, After The Rewrite. I'm adding to the docs right now. 0.4 tarball *will* come out tonight! If it's the last thing I do!

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Oops, misunderstanding on my part (none / 0) (#22)
by fluffy grue on Sun Mar 05, 2000 at 09:27:40 PM EST

But if it's the last thing you do, how'll you do The Rewrite?

;)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

We will never see these in the UK, ... (none / 0) (#1)
by hattig on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 01:15:03 PM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

We will never see these in the UK, thank god! At CeBIT I saw a 24" widescreen TFT display, with picture in picture for video input, along with the 1920x1440 (unsure of 1440) display. Of course, this is a little expensive for most of us, and won't be available for a while...

Of course the Apple cinema display is going to cost more, it is a TFT display, not some huge bulky CRT monstrosity. Compare apples with apples, please!

PS: Anyone had any luck installing Linux or FreeBSD on a HP Omnibook 4100?

Major drool factor. ... (none / 0) (#8)
by Matthew Guenther on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 03:26:12 PM EST

Matthew Guenther voted 1 on this story.

Major drool factor. MBG

If this was more about the technolo... (none / 0) (#10)
by cottingham on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 04:33:37 PM EST

cottingham voted 0 on this story.

If this was more about the technology behind a 32" flat-panel display, I'd care more.

that is too expensive for me...... (none / 0) (#6)
by Philipp on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 06:13:27 PM EST

Philipp voted -1 on this story.

that is too expensive for me...

alias kn 'killall -9 netscape-communicator'

Re: that is too expensive for me...... (none / 0) (#14)
by Velian on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 09:40:18 PM EST

That, IMO, is neither expensive (out of my range but nothing compared to some other things you see...) nor reason enough to give it -1.

Though, as I realized after I voted 1, this topic is too Mac targeted... Shoulda voted 0/-1.

Re: that is too expensive for me...... (none / 0) (#15)
by Yardley on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 11:09:54 PM EST

I wasn't trying to be Mac-centric, the story happens to come from a Mac website. I looked for a review elsewhere but couldn't find one. But why would mac-centricity make an article about computer monitors less valuable? The displays under consideration are regular PC ones. The Mac LCD is for comparison.

Anyways, the feature set and price really struck me. I want one but can't afford it. This is technology.

yum... Someday I'll have to connec... (none / 0) (#7)
by neonman on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 06:17:08 PM EST

neonman voted 1 on this story.

yum... Someday I'll have to connect my desktop to a good lcd projector in a big room. It would make for one killer quake machine.
_________________________
Aaron Grogan
aaron@stufflikethat.org

not hugely important but not worthl... (none / 0) (#5)
by rajivvarma on Wed Mar 01, 2000 at 10:20:41 PM EST

rajivvarma voted 0 on this story.

not hugely important but not worthless

Rajiv Varma
Mirror of DeCSS.

Big monitors are good :-) ... (none / 0) (#3)
by Inoshiro on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 01:28:59 AM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

Big monitors are good :-)

[ イノシロ ]

Umm, not bad, but I don't know if I... (none / 0) (#9)
by shepd on Thu Mar 02, 2000 at 08:38:41 PM EST

shepd voted 0 on this story.

Umm, not bad, but I don't know if I could handle looking at it all day long (or even for an hour at close proximity). My 5 year old 20" monitor seems to have a better dot pitch! And 1024x768 (XGA) is going to be really blocky at 27". The HDTV stuff is a nice touch though. If I want big (for games) for my computer, I think I'll just buy a real TV and use the TV out on my computer. And besides, I can watch TV on my normal monitor as it is (with my TV tuner card). :-)

Didn't need the comparison, but goo... (none / 0) (#13)
by Velian on Fri Mar 03, 2000 at 09:37:52 PM EST

Velian voted 1 on this story.

Didn't need the comparison, but good article (even if the writeup was a little poor).

Huge New Displays Support NTSC, HDTV, and XGA | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)