RFCs to live by.

By Inoshiro in News
Mon Mar 13, 2000 at 03:38:03 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

A brief collection of my favourite RFCs written on a certain spring day.

[editor's note, by rusty] We all know that compliance to open standards has made the internet what it is today. I believe that compliance to internet humor standards will bear us proudly into the new millennium. So below are some of the most important internet humor standards, for you to study and potentially implement two weeks from now. My two favorites are "Hyper Text Coffee Pot Control Protocol (HTCPCP/1.0)" and "Procedure to Follow in the Event That (NASA) Building 245 is Attacked by Vikings". And "The Extension of MIME Content-Types to a New Medium". My THREE favorites are... AMONGST my many favorites are such diverse RFC's as... wait, I'll come in again.

And finally, while not exactly an RFC, this is quite the piece of humour. It's moved from its original home, but is still quite a good read :-) Procedure to Follow in the Event That (NASA) Building 245 is Attacked by Vikings

o Act One - The Poems
o A Standard for the Transmission of IP Datagrams on Avian Carriers
o Memo from the Consortium for Slow Commotion Research (CSCR)
o Today's Programming for KRFC AM 1313 Internet Talk Radio
o The Extension of MIME Content-Types to a New Medium
o SONET to Sonnet Translation
o A Historical Perspective On The Usage Of IP Version 9
o A view from the 21st century
o The Address is the Message
o The Twelve Networking Truths
o Suggested Additional MIME Types for Associating Documents
o The Naming of Hosts
o RITA -- The Reliable Internetwork Troubleshooting Agent
o Management of IP numbers by peg-dhcp
o IETF Identification and Security Guidelines
o Hyper Text Coffee Pot Control Protocol (HTCPCP/1.0)
o Definition s of Managed Objects for Drip-Type Heated Beverage Hardware Devices using SMIv2
o IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service
o Y10K and Beyond
o The Roman Standards Process -- Revision III
o Procedure to Follow in the Event That (NASA) Building 245 is Attacked by Vikings
o Also by Inoshiro

RFCs to live by. | 13 comments (13 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Maybe it could be held back until A... (none / 0) (#2)
by hattig on Mon Mar 13, 2000 at 11:05:42 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

Maybe it could be held back until April...

I have read the all-important Coffee Pot RFCs, but I didn't get very far with implementing a MIB. Non standard coffee-pot (proprietary hardware and software, and proprietary coffee as well judging by the naff taste).

Well, this is better than the HTCPC... (none / 0) (#4)
by fluffy grue on Mon Mar 13, 2000 at 11:16:34 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 0 on this story.

Well, this is better than the HTCPCP story (since it actually brings in all of them), but it still doesn't seem like much of a discussion piece. Still a nice reference to come back to though.

On a related note: Rusty, I hope K5 doesn't turn into /. on April 1 (and I mean that as in "posting a bunch of irrelevant quasi-pranks and also posting news and making no attempt at differentiating them," though I'm fine with the potential prank on the users where K5 suddenly looks like /. with a story saying "Kuro5hin has been merged with Slashdot, thanks to a $20M investment by Andover.net" or something :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Well, this is better than the HTCPC... (none / 0) (#5)
by rusty on Mon Mar 13, 2000 at 03:55:09 PM EST

Pranks? I wouldn't dream of it.

<LAUGHTER TYPE="evil" />

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Well, this is better than the HTCPC... (none / 0) (#6)
by fvw on Mon Mar 13, 2000 at 07:20:46 PM EST

Did anyone ever tell you you have a really weird style of html?

:wonders how k5 was ever created. (Oh well, infinite monkeys, infiinite typewriters...)

Actually that was XML (none / 0) (#7)
by rusty on Mon Mar 13, 2000 at 09:21:41 PM EST

<LAUGHTER TYPE="evil" /> would be valid XML. If an XML tag doesn't enclose anything, you can close it by putting the / before the last >.

Were you talking about that, or about the source for K5 pages? And as for how it was created, just one monkey, and one keyboard. It's an object lesson to show the world what one properly motivated monkey and his keyboard can accomplish. ;-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: Actually that was XML (none / 0) (#13)
by fvw on Fri Mar 17, 2000 at 09:20:20 AM EST

:doesn't do xml... My bad. (And yuch btw, :doesn't like xml)

isn't this a couple weeks early? :)... (none / 0) (#1)
by lachoy on Mon Mar 13, 2000 at 12:00:15 PM EST

lachoy voted -1 on this story.

isn't this a couple weeks early? :)
M-x auto-bs-mode

This is where to go when you've abs... (3.00 / 1) (#3)
by Demona on Mon Mar 13, 2000 at 03:03:00 PM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

This is where to go when you've absorbed the Jargon File; this is the forgotten dungeon of living, breathing history. This is where the rubber meets the road, where the real work goes on that keeps the net going. (And when you're done with the humor, RFC 2196 should be the starting point for anyone connecting a machine to the rest of the net.)

"...by God I KNOW what this network is for, and you can't have it."

Russ Allbery

Re: This is where to go when you've abs... (none / 0) (#10)
by rusty on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 08:16:24 AM EST

Hey-- that was perhaps the finest and truest rant I've ever read (Russ Allbery). Thanks for linking that. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Viking RFC (none / 0) (#8)
by joeyo on Mon Mar 13, 2000 at 11:55:51 PM EST

Does anyone have a link to the "Procedure to Follow in the Event That (NASA) Building 245 is Attacked by Vikings" RFC? I've never read that one and it sounds really funny. /joeyo

Re: Viking RFC (none / 0) (#9)
by rusty on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 02:55:41 AM EST

Um... that is a link. At the end of the story right there. Where it says "Procedure... etc etc." Someone need a brighter monitor maybe? :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Viking RFC (none / 0) (#11)
by joeyo on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 01:09:34 PM EST

ok you got me.. I was looking at the "Editors Note" and didnt see it at the bottom of the story... Out of sight out of mind I guess...

Thouggh in all honesty this pansy light blue link color is sometimes just barely visible over black text. Or maybe I need new glasses... :)

/joeyo

Re: Viking RFC (none / 0) (#12)
by rusty on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 01:27:22 PM EST

Yeah, it's true. The weird thing, though, is that sometimes I can see it just fine, and sometimes I can barely tell. I suppose it should either be lighter (or brighter) or darker. Maybe I'll experiment.

____
Not the real rusty

RFCs to live by. | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)