Freedom of Human Genome Information

By fluffy grue in News
Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 07:59:25 PM EST
Tags: Freedom (all tags)
Freedom

According to a story on CNN, the US and British governments are (finally) pushing to keep information garnered from human gene-sequencing projects freely-available. Hopefully this will also prevent human genomes from becoming patentable, as well as the genomes in other species.

o story on CNN
o Also by fluffy grue

Freedom of Human Genome Information | 5 comments (5 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Of course, they still refuse to tak... (none / 0) (#2)
by Ozymandias on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 02:47:31 PM EST

Ozymandias voted 1 on this story.

Of course, they still refuse to take a stand on human cloning in general, but it's a start.

- Ozymandias

Re: Of course, they still refuse to tak... (none / 0) (#4)
by ramses0 on Wed Mar 15, 2000 at 09:50:58 AM EST

Human cloning is an entirely different can of worms... I don't even know if
I've made up my mind about human cloning, or animal cloning, or even vegetable
cloning.

The fact that some corporation can no longer 0wn humanity makes me feel a lot
better, though.

I wonder what happens to that lady who patent(ed) her own DNA sequence... I
love it how governments do something really dumb and then end up contradicting
themselves.  It makes me wish they hadn't done the dumb thing in the first
place ;^)=

--Robert

[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]
This is really important! Notice th... (none / 0) (#1)
by Philipp on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 04:09:29 PM EST

Philipp voted 1 on this story.

This is really important! Notice that CNNfn reports that the news caused NASDAQ to crash today.

alias kn 'killall -9 netscape-communicator'

Re: This is really important! Notice th... (none / 0) (#3)
by fluffy grue on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 08:32:46 PM EST

Yah, and HGSI, which was already going down on its own, wasn't helped any today. My mom's gonna be pissed. (She owns a LOT of HGSI stock.)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Freedom of Human Genome Information (none / 0) (#5)
by daninja on Wed Mar 15, 2000 at 01:35:19 PM EST

Hopefully this will also prevent human genomes from becoming patentable

It just struck me: isn't the evidence of prior art...overwhelming?

Freedom of Human Genome Information | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)