The Once and Future M-Net

By in News
Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 12:10:11 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

James Howard has written about his online home M-Net, the first public access Unix system. M-Net's history has seen the passing of several eras and milestones in the history of computing. It was there before the Internet was big. It was there long before the advent of the World Wide Web

o written about
o M-Net
o Also by

The Once and Future M-Net | 12 comments (12 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
I remember M-Net; I was even a test... (none / 0) (#1)
by Demona on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 10:00:16 AM EST

Demona voted 1 on this story.

I remember M-Net; I was even a test user for a little bit, as well as on countless Freenets across the globe when they were just starting to take off (Cleveland Freenet, anyone? All those other pre-Nyx ones?) Thumbs up to everyone documenting net.history for the future.

This sounds like an interesting com... (none / 0) (#2)
by Skippy on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 11:01:22 AM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

This sounds like an interesting community.

M-Net: The ideal community? (none / 0) (#3)
by Strider on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 03:20:56 PM EST

Fights are often personal. In fact, fights are often. One of our many conferences, entitled flame, is solely for abusing each other. We also have a conference called gossip dedicated to making up information about other users. M-Net users are quite vicious towards each other. Any argument, or for that matter, any discussion, may turn into a series of personal attacks without warning

Strange, the reasons the author quotes for his love of M-net are some of the exact same reasons i quite posting to /. I wonder why he choose to emphasize this particular aspect of M-net. It seems like the old high-school-lunch-table-lets-trade-punches-for-fun game (which i am not bashing particularly). I guess it shows that they are a close-knit gang - 'er something. My friends and I poke and jab at each other, but we never drop to straight out personal attacks. I would think that this sort of activity would be counter-productive to a community.

"it's like having gravity suddenly replaced by cheez-whiz" - rusty
Re: M-Net: The ideal community? (none / 0) (#4)
by Anonymous Hero on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 03:57:35 PM EST

yknow what,

well my jooky brothers and sisters - im quitting kuro5hin.  yknow why?	well
ill tell you why.

why im quitting kuro5hin, to go back to slashdot.
(hopefully big brother won't censor this message):

1)  Censorship

Blah blah hot grits, natalie portman, what ever the trolls think up next, is
NOT worse than ANY CENSORSHIP FROM rusty the clown (or ANYONE for that matter)

2)  there is no 2, the only reason im leaving is because of censorship

I would rather be subject to the vulgarity of slashdot, than be witness to the
bland, tasteless result, that is kuro5hin.org

note to rusty:
you missed the clue train
the net exists for a reason - freedom of speech, and you're killing it.

Re: M-Net: The ideal community? (none / 0) (#5)
by rusty on Tue Mar 14, 2000 at 07:07:48 PM EST

Hm. Weird. I only deleted one of your posts, and it was an irrelevant link to some warez O'Reilly CDROM bookshelves (oh yeah, and a pr0n-leech script. Very cool). In fact, I've only had to delete about three posts total, in the life of the site.

I guess if that's your decision, go with it. How come you never got an account here? How come I've never seen you post anything that anyone felt was really worth responding to? You've been hanging around for a while, and posting occasionally, but you don't really seem to be trying to participate much. More like provoke me into anti-spamming you (which you'll note, for the most part, I haven't done).

All communities aren't for all people. If we bore you, do find greener pastures. I wish you luck.

____
Not the real rusty

Re: M-Net: The ideal community? (none / 0) (#6)
by asad on Wed Mar 15, 2000 at 05:53:12 PM EST

well some of us left /. exactly because of people like you and we like it here because rusty doesn't allow the idiotic spamming. I am sure rusty will refund the $ and time you spent devloping this site.

Re: M-Net: The ideal community? (none / 0) (#7)
by rusty on Wed Mar 15, 2000 at 07:00:19 PM EST

I am sure rusty will refund the $ and time you spent devloping this site.

Oh, hey you're right. I didn't even think of that. Here ya go, AH:

There. now I don't feel so bad. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: M-Net: The ideal community? (none / 0) (#11)
by Anonymous Hero on Sun Mar 19, 2000 at 01:56:49 PM EST

Hi, I am the author. I would create an account but I just keep getting document contains no data. Anyway, I chose to emphasize these traits because I wanted newusers to know what they were getting into. Basically, I didn't want to lie about what M-Net is like. :)

Re: The Once and Future M-Net (none / 0) (#8)
by FlinkDelDinky on Thu Mar 16, 2000 at 03:34:17 AM EST

Jeez, this brought back the old BBS days.  Anybody ever heard of Ground Zero,
Pumpkin (not sure that's the name), or Kandy Shack?

The great thing about these BBS's is very high bandwidth on certian subjects.
I thought all these types of systems did the dinasaur jig (or perhaps evolved
into the slashdot's).

I'm definately checking out this M-Net deal.

Re: The Once and Future M-Net (none / 0) (#9)
by rusty on Thu Mar 16, 2000 at 03:59:38 AM EST

The closest I ever got to BBS's was CB on compuserve. The great, great granddaddy of IRC, it was called "CB" because no one had thought of the word "chat" yet. And ironically, this is like 1993 we're talking about. Back in the hoary days of yore, eh? Anyway, it was just like the later telnet chat havens, which were always my favorites. Never could get into IRC (ick).

Anyway, none of these are like BBS's. I was just waxing nostalgic :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Re: The Once and Future M-Net (none / 0) (#10)
by FlinkDelDinky on Thu Mar 16, 2000 at 04:10:06 PM EST

Although I never had a compuserve account my friend had one.  I think CS cost
$6 an hour.  He had one of the first C64's.   When they first came out they
cost $600.  When I got my first one they were around $200 with a loaded system
at around $1,000.

I believe the C64 to be the greatest PC (relative to it's time) ever produced.
Apparently it's not dead yet either:

Second place I think goes to Amiga (the 1000 or 500).  Third, I'll say the
Atari 800, it just couldn't go head to head with the C64. Fourth, maybe the
Atari ST, they just couldn't handle the Amiga.

I just don't like Apple, obviously the Mac GUI was cool but I don't think it
was completely original to Apple, although they were the first to execute it
properly.  I seem to remember a lot of GUI type ideas floundering around back
then.

Re: The Once and Future M-Net (none / 0) (#12)
by Anonymous Hero on Sun Mar 19, 2000 at 07:02:59 PM EST

Whoo! Good, we need more leaned UNIX users. I am a dedicated M-net (arbornet, and otherwise known to the kids from Ann Arbor, M-Nut.) users. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at annon@arbornet.org or annon@cyberspace.org cyberspace.org is also a free unix shell, that has many of the same things as M-net. Feel free to drop in any time.

The Once and Future M-Net | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)