Comparison of SIMD Implementations

By hattig in News
Thu Mar 16, 2000 at 04:27:13 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

Over on ARS Technica there is a good article on the different SIMD architectures that are around (Altivec, 3DNow!, SSE, MAJC), and their relative merits.

o ARS Technica
o article
o Also by hattig

Comparison of SIMD Implementations | 5 comments (5 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
... (none / 0) (#3)
by stimuli on Thu Mar 16, 2000 at 09:52:41 AM EST

stimuli voted 1 on this story.

What fun. Personally I think these chips are just getting too damn complicated for anyone's good.
-- Jeffrey Straszheim

MAJC = simplicity (none / 0) (#4)
by fluffy grue on Thu Mar 16, 2000 at 04:36:34 PM EST

You don't really get the point to MAJC then, do you? MAJC is all about extreme simplification. I agree that the other chips mentioned are pretty damned overcomplicated though.

After that article, I need to amend a statement I made previously on some other thread: Crusoe isn't the architecture I'm most interested right now, MAJC is. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Yay! Ars Technica! I keep meaning ... (none / 0) (#2)
by fluffy grue on Thu Mar 16, 2000 at 11:22:35 AM EST

fluffy grue voted 1 on this story.

Yay! Ars Technica! I keep meaning to get in a habit of reading it to replace the tech news I'm missing from Slashdot. Most of Slashdot's tech "articles" were just links there anyway.

A bit more on-topic: it's nice to finally see what's probably a fair comparison of the different SIMD implementations. However, due to my crappy connection I've only managed to read the first page so far. I like their subtle reference early on to the Connections Machine, though it'd have been nice if they were a bit more explicit (and if they'd pointed out that in its peak, it was used more as a prop on the set of Jurassic Park than an actual computer). Also, they kind of make it sound that SIMD is some innovation new to microprocessors, but with the CM, the individual 1-bit ALUs (all 65536 of them) were separate chips, and that Crays have had SIMD capabilities since the Cray-1. I guess that's mostly trivia history, though, with little bearing on modern implementations (Cray's vector processing was more like explicit pipelining than parallel execution, for example).
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

3DRight now, today, now! ;-)... (none / 0) (#1)
by Inoshiro on Thu Mar 16, 2000 at 03:54:36 PM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

3DRight now, today, now! ;-)

[ イノシロ ]

Re: Comparison of SIMD Implementations (none / 0) (#5)
by cottingham on Thu Mar 16, 2000 at 04:50:55 PM EST

I'm still reading it, and for the most part I'm impressed. I wish the author knew the difference between "inter" and "intra" and could get it right....

Craig S. Cottingham, who is fascinated by sexy little hardware hacks
craigc@unicom.net
PGP key available; ID=A2FFBE41, fingerprint=6AA8 2E28 2404 8A95 B8FC 7EFC 136F 0CEF A2FF BE41

Comparison of SIMD Implementations | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)