Trustix Secure Linux 1.0 released

By flashboy in News
Mon Mar 20, 2000 at 06:02:33 AM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

A few days ago a Norwegian company released a new Linux distribution with a strong focus on security. This probably ties in with the fact that the company delivers a Linux-based Firewall solution. But the distro looks interesting, and they're seeking developers...check it out: They've got a site for the distro and one for the company.

o the distro
o the company
o Also by flashboy

Trustix Secure Linux 1.0 released | 7 comments (7 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Normally I'd vote -1 on Linux distr... (none / 0) (#2)
by Nyarlathotep on Sun Mar 19, 2000 at 10:44:25 AM EST

Nyarlathotep voted 1 on this story.

Normally I'd vote -1 on Linux distribution news, but it is very importent to make encryption a standard part of the distribution, so I'd like to see what peopl say about this one.
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

I don't care for the distro itself ... (none / 0) (#3)
by Inoshiro on Sun Mar 19, 2000 at 03:50:53 PM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

I don't care for the distro itself as it's a repackaged Red Hat, AFAICT. At least they have the right idea :-)

[ イノシロ ]

YALD. Blah.... (none / 0) (#4)
by fluffy grue on Sun Mar 19, 2000 at 04:14:35 PM EST

fluffy grue voted -1 on this story.

YALD. Blah.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Please put more information in the ... (none / 0) (#1)
by ramses0 on Sun Mar 19, 2000 at 06:46:17 PM EST

ramses0 voted -1 on this story.

Please put more information in the writeup. I'd love to know more about this, but right now the writeup is no more informative than an advertising banner.

What makes trustix so great?

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Re: Please put more information in the ... (none / 0) (#6)
by flashboy on Mon Mar 20, 2000 at 07:38:50 AM EST

This is the "mission statement". What I thought was very interesting is the talk about encrypted file system, one time passwords, paging the sysadmin (SMS enabled syslogd?) and such things. It also mentions choosing the more secure package for the job, and their example is using a different MTA than sendmail. Hopefully this is a project that will grow and reach these goals. It would sure make it easier for me to secure a box if I had a distro with this focus.
--- Stay beautiful
Hopefully an OpenBSD type person wi... (none / 0) (#5)
by pwhysall on Mon Mar 20, 2000 at 03:35:59 AM EST

pwhysall voted 1 on this story.

Hopefully an OpenBSD type person will come out of the woodwork and tell us if this is secure/hardened or not...
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown

Re: Trustix Secure Linux 1.0 released (none / 0) (#7)
by talon on Mon Mar 20, 2000 at 08:20:43 AM EST

A security focused distro is good, maybe it will make other distros look more carefully at their security. ;)
-- Santa Claus - scaring children since 352 A.D.
Trustix Secure Linux 1.0 released | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)