Pushing the Fiber Speed Limit

By nascent in News
Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 05:43:29 PM EST
Tags: Technology (all tags)
Technology

Bell Labs did a 3.28TB/Sec transfer the other day, but here is a pop-technology look (courtesy of Wired) at what we might be seeing very shortly thanks to better lasers and a refined look at the spectrum. [editor's note, by rusty] Quote from the Wired article:

In a matter of years, the fiber-optic cable being laid today by telecoms across the globe could be transmitting data at a rate of tens of thousands of terabits per second.
They say that all the current internet traffic combined is roughly 1 TB/day. Thousands of TB is some serious bandwidth. I just have this horrible image of millions of miles of multi-TB fiber, and everyone *still* dialing in at 56K.

o 3.28TB/Sec
o pop-techno logy look
o Wired
o Also by nascent

Pushing the Fiber Speed Limit | 18 comments (18 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Fix the link! Cut and paste is too ... (none / 0) (#7)
by alisdair on Tue Mar 21, 2000 at 05:44:35 PM EST

alisdair voted 0 on this story.

Fix the link! Cut and paste is too much effort for us New Lazy :)

Bandwidth is good. Say it with me e... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Tue Mar 21, 2000 at 06:00:59 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

Bandwidth is good. Say it with me everyone: Bandwidth is goooood.

____
Not the real rusty

More bandwidth == more bandwith hog... (none / 0) (#2)
by rongen on Tue Mar 21, 2000 at 07:09:29 PM EST

rongen voted 1 on this story.

More bandwidth == more bandwith hogging activity

That's fine with me. I like hogging bandwidth as much as the next fella. At what point will the infrastructure be so plentiful that we will no longer need to pay for it? Fibre lines get "backhoed" but other than that they are pretty low maintanence aren't they (my opinion, not a statement of fact---please correct and inform at will). Radio is free to listen to. Everyone has a radio. Electricity isn't free but everyone has electric lights. However, electricity is certainly affordable for most people in first-world countries, and Internet access is getting to be quite affordable (well, 5 hours of 56k dial-up is cheap anyway). When will the revenue generated by the World Wide Web (of Commerce) be great enough that it will make sense just to give the access away for free?
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

Re: More bandwidth == more bandwith hog... (none / 0) (#13)
by deacon on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 06:02:18 PM EST

it probably makes sense now. but don't hold your breath waiting for the powers that be to give something away for free when they can still get us to pay for it. dollars are worth more than sense, especially in the private/capitalist/american sector.
"How do men act on a sinking ship? Do they hold each other? Do they pass around the whiskey? Do they cry?"
I think most people have already he... (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by Anonymous Coward on Tue Mar 21, 2000 at 08:29:35 PM EST

Anonymous Coward voted -1 on this story.

I think most people have already heard of this way more than once. I know I have.

all this bandwidth is very nice and... (none / 0) (#10)
by bse on Tue Mar 21, 2000 at 10:15:51 PM EST

bse voted 1 on this story.

all this bandwidth is very nice and all. but it would still take a long time to get into the system. i live in england, and we're still waiting for some decent ADSL.

i dont think the bandwidth would last though. new and improved napsters, etc. but doesnt it look pretty =o

"Please sir, tell me why, my life's so pitiful, but the future's so bright? When I look ahead, it burns my retinas." -- Pitchshifter - Please Sir

They are way, way off on the daily ... (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by The-Dev on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 12:03:32 AM EST

The-Dev voted 1 on this story.

They are way, way off on the daily internet traffic quote. Just the MAE-East public peering exchange carries about 2Gbit/sec on average. 2Gbit/s == 172.8 Tbit/day, and that is only a small fraction of total internet bandwidth.

That said, it is impressive that they can pump 3Tbit/s on one strand. The maximum cards you can get right now for Cisco or Juniper routers are OC48 (2Gbit/sec).

If everybody gets on the net, then ... (none / 0) (#9)
by locutus074 on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 02:08:05 AM EST

locutus074 voted 1 on this story.

If everybody gets on the net, then out of necessity, we'll have to have everyone still at 56K in order to keep bandwidth concerns down to a reasonable level. Hell, if everybody gets a T-1 or T-3 (or equivalent), and we start seeing video-on-demand and the like, we'll need much more than "only" thousands of TB (What's the term? Petabytes?) of bandwidth in order to satisfy everybody's bandwidth cravings.
"If you haven't gotten where you're going,
you aren't there yet." --George Carlin

Hey! Don't knock 56K :)... (none / 0) (#6)
by Matthew Guenther on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 08:22:30 AM EST

Matthew Guenther voted 1 on this story.

Hey! Don't knock 56K :)

I still have a 56k dial-up :( I no... (none / 0) (#5)
by bmetzler on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 09:34:45 AM EST

bmetzler voted 1 on this story.

I still have a 56k dial-up :( I not only live in an area where all the neighoring communities have DSL, but we don't even have bidirectional cable here. -Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

This is why those DVD people are sc... (none / 0) (#3)
by hattig on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 10:19:01 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

This is why those DVD people are scared - with 10s of thousands of terabits (10 petabits?) of bandwidth, it will take seconds to download whatever film you want. But where will the routers and switched be that can actually handle this speed?

The article at Wired doesn't really... (none / 0) (#4)
by Fish on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 10:29:29 AM EST

Fish voted -1 on this story.

The article at Wired doesn't really say much, just quotes standard industry words like "Moore's Law" to make it sound more informed. No actual "meat", for all there is 2 whole webpages.

Re: The article at Wired doesn't really... (none / 0) (#14)
by rusty on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 06:07:51 PM EST

Check out the other link (the "3.28 TB/sec" one). It's the Bell labs press release, and has some more technical detail about what they did.

____
Not the real rusty
Kind of a golly-gee jetpack future ... (none / 0) (#11)
by marlowe on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 10:49:14 AM EST

marlowe voted 0 on this story.

Kind of a golly-gee jetpack future progress thingy. I don't mind an occasional one, but they get old fast. The future is nice and all, but right now my cable modem is kinda lame, and I can't get DSL. Sometimes progress is just too abstract. --- I will insist on my right to question ---

Re: Pushing the Fiber Speed Limit (none / 0) (#15)
by pwhysall on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 06:46:54 AM EST

Like everything else in computing, the content will expand to fill the available bandwidth. Soon, we'll have streaming video banner ads with 5.1 surround sound.
Peter
K5 Editors
CheeseBurgerBrown
Re: My repost of this story (none / 0) (#16)
by dgfitch on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 02:44:33 PM EST

Holy macaroni, forgive my idiocy... I didn't even see this get posted Wednesday. Must be some kind of brain-block.

I might as well give up now before I befunge myself further.

Re: My repost of this story (none / 0) (#17)
by rusty on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 03:12:18 PM EST

S'ok. We all do it from time to time. You should be glad your feel for what people want to read is so accurate, if perhaps a little behind the time-curve ;-) I dropped your story myself, because it really was a repost. But please don't let this dissuade you from submissions in the future! If you're unsure, go to "search", and plug in a characteristic word from the story you want to submit, to see if it's gone up already.

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Searching on a characteristic word (none / 0) (#18)
by dgfitch on Sat Mar 25, 2000 at 12:35:52 PM EST

Yes sah! This is indeed what I shall do in the future; thanks for keeping the ever-watchful eye on the circus.

Actually, I noticed the search box can be used to search on story subject; would it be possible to add a dropdown to quickly select those? It would make for an interesting method of browsing vertical slices of the site.

Pushing the Fiber Speed Limit | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)