Objects Found Inside PCs

By Fish in News
Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 08:09:03 PM EST
Tags: You Know... (all tags)
You Know...

Dixons have listed the 10 most bizarre things found inside PCs.

o listed the 10 most bizarre things
o Also by Fish

Objects Found Inside PCs | 30 comments (30 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
Maybe as a snippet?... (none / 0) (#4)
by hattig on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 12:38:37 PM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

Maybe as a snippet?

A one-liner? Sucky! At least list a... (none / 0) (#12)
by alisdair on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 01:21:44 PM EST

alisdair voted -1 on this story.

A one-liner? Sucky! At least list a couple of them. Isn't this an old Slashdot link anyway?

... (none / 0) (#20)
by marlowe on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 01:42:02 PM EST

marlowe voted 1 on this story.

--- I will insist on my right to question ---

I'm shure we have better stories th... (none / 0) (#5)
by Nyarlathotep on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 02:53:57 PM EST

Nyarlathotep voted 1 on this story.

I'm shure we have better stories then those. My dad found a snake in his computer when he was taking promotional pictures for the BagLight, but I don't think he go a picture of the snake (it would be in Uses if he did).
Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!

quickies!... (none / 0) (#3)
by ramses0 on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 03:50:54 PM EST

ramses0 voted 0 on this story.

quickies!
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Needs more of a writeup.... (none / 0) (#11)
by fluffy grue on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 04:14:07 PM EST

fluffy grue voted -1 on this story.

Needs more of a writeup.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

We REALLY need a "Quickies" categor... (none / 0) (#10)
by Skippy on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 04:55:47 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

We REALLY need a "Quickies" category for stuff like this. But it will come in it's own time :-)

Funny, but ...why not just post a f... (none / 0) (#16)
by nascent on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 05:11:01 PM EST

nascent voted 1 on this story.

Funny, but ...why not just post a few of 'em and then the link for the rest. Kinda dull on it's own. But it gets my vote.
nascent

ummm...none of this seems particula... (none / 0) (#19)
by deacon on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 05:19:17 PM EST

deacon voted -1 on this story.

ummm...none of this seems particularly bizarre to me.
"How do men act on a sinking ship? Do they hold each other? Do they pass around the whiskey? Do they cry?"

Not all that shocking or funny.... (none / 0) (#7)
by xah on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 05:34:01 PM EST

xah voted -1 on this story.

Not all that shocking or funny.

blah... (none / 0) (#15)
by Velian on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 07:11:47 PM EST

Velian voted -1 on this story.

blah

Too short. If K5 had quickies, mayb... (none / 0) (#8)
by Perpetual Newbie on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 08:22:48 PM EST

Perpetual Newbie voted -1 on this story.

Too short. If K5 had quickies, maybe this could go there.

This is hilarious. ... (none / 0) (#1)
by rongen on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 08:56:03 PM EST

rongen voted 1 on this story.

This is hilarious.
read/write http://www.prosebush.com

These really aren't that funny.... (none / 0) (#21)
by The-Dev on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 09:22:37 PM EST

The-Dev voted -1 on this story.

These really aren't that funny.

"Chicken wishbone Placed inside the... (none / 0) (#6)
by Inoshiro on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 01:28:51 AM EST

Inoshiro voted 1 on this story.

"Chicken wishbone Placed inside the Central Processing Unit (CPU) by a customer to prevent the machine crashing. "

Which is more embarrrasing. The fact that "Common" people believe this voodoo, or the fact that the CPU is a piece of silicon 6mm in size?

Sigh sigh sigh..

[ イノシロ ]
I once found a huge stash of Valent... (none / 0) (#14)
by error 404 on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 04:22:21 PM EST

error 404 voted 1 on this story.

I once found a huge stash of Valentine's Day (red, white, and pink) M&Ms in my PC at work.
..................................
Electrical banana is bound to be the very next phase
- Donovan

The link is dead... (none / 0) (#9)
by FlinkDelDinky on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 07:52:38 PM EST

FlinkDelDinky voted 0 on this story.

The link is dead

Looks like the link's been K5'd... ... (none / 0) (#17)
by HiRes on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 12:39:17 AM EST

HiRes voted 1 on this story.

Looks like the link's been K5'd... now I'm really curious.
wcb
wait! before you rate, read.

Quickies are good.... (none / 0) (#2)
by Zer0 on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 07:23:57 AM EST

Zer0 voted 1 on this story.

Quickies are good.

Isn't it about time to add a "toss ... (none / 0) (#13)
by eann on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 11:20:58 AM EST

eann voted 0 on this story.

Isn't it about time to add a "toss this in the quickies pile" option to submission moderation? :)

Of course, then we'll have to figure out when to post that.

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

Re: Isn't it about time to add a "toss ... (none / 0) (#24)
by bmetzler on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 10:39:48 PM EST

Of course, then we'll have to figure out when to post that.

I don't know what Rusty has thought about that, but I think that there are 2 good options. One, if we get enough, post what was submitted every Friday afternoon. Gives people something to look forward too :) Or, just post the quickies every time we get a dozen or so in the stack

-Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.
Quickies (none / 0) (#25)
by rusty on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 11:09:37 PM EST

Yes, I have thought about this, and it's way past time. Believe me, it'll be in Scoop2.

____
Not the real rusty
Could use a bit more elaborate writ... (none / 0) (#18)
by dgfitch on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 12:27:03 PM EST

dgfitch voted 1 on this story.

Could use a bit more elaborate writeup, but that gets the idea across. Some of the article is funny, thus worthwhile.

Re: Objects Found Inside PCs (none / 0) (#22)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 09:33:25 PM EST

How many stories actually DO NOT get posted?

I mean, this one wasn't doing too well. I was *SURE* it wouldn't get posted.
I'm not trying to say, "I hated this story so it shouldn't be posted!," but I
think the system *MIGHT* be a little ineffective. It could just be me, but I
always see stories get posted that seemingly most people hated. I don't recall
seeing one not get posted, but I'm sure some have. Some.

Guess it's okay, but the lazy people aren't going to like coming here only to
find crappy stories. This one is just a one-liner, and it's not all that funny,
surprising or interesting (IMO, of course).

Re: Objects Found Inside PCs (none / 0) (#23)
by bmetzler on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 10:32:13 PM EST

I mean, this one wasn't doing too well. I was *SURE* it wouldn't get posted. I'm not trying to say, "I hated this story so it shouldn't be posted!," but I think the system *MIGHT* be a little ineffective. It could just be me, but I always see stories get posted that seemingly most people hated. I don't recall seeing one not get posted, but I'm sure some have. Some.

There are a few stories that I've noticed don't get posted. I think it's working nicely for starters. Of course, I'm sure the process will evaolve over time and get better.

It may seem like most people didn't want it posted, but remember that it's the people against something that tend to be the most vocal. So even though you were hearing a lot of people uninterested in the story, they may have been a small percentage of the viewership. Actually, they were because this story was posted. Then again, it could just mean that those people voting +1 were idiots :) -Brent
www.bmetzler.org - it's not just a personal weblog, it's so much more.

Re: Objects Found Inside PCs (none / 0) (#26)
by rusty on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 11:15:06 PM EST

Yeah. I kinda agree, too. :-) Ok, a lot of stories get posted. Some don't (seriously!), and the "hide this story" threshold is *way* closer to zero than the "post" threshold is. Still, things are a little, uneven. I think the flood of stories today is due to my reminder/explanation about how story voting works, which just went up last night. Hopefully that'll remind people more often, and they'll vote more regularly (and, err, evenly). It's a new idea, and we're the pioneers here. There have already been a bunch of good ideas about how to improve the system (for example, yes and no don't really cover the range of possible options. There will also be "rewrite" and "quickies" options at the very least). Yes, it'll get better. In the meantime, vote early, vote often, vote honest. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Re: Objects Found Inside PCs (none / 0) (#28)
by Imperator on Sat Mar 25, 2000 at 12:07:10 AM EST

After the link to /?op=modsub, why not display the number of stories in the queue that the user hasn't voted on yet? Or would this be too slow?

Re: Objects Found Inside PCs (none / 0) (#29)
by Anonymous Hero on Sat Mar 25, 2000 at 01:08:32 AM EST

Well, it's good to hear that. This would have fit fine into Quickies. Rewrite is a really good idea. And maybe something in the voting box to *suggest* rewrite, too... I notice a lot of writeups are just really poor. I normally vote +1 anyway, but sometimes they're just unacceptable even though the story is good.

Re: Story moderation too lax? (none / 0) (#30)
by dgfitch on Sat Mar 25, 2000 at 12:32:05 PM EST

Nah, the existing system was able to snip my repost of a story really really quick! Very effective, in my opinion.

Re: Objects Found Inside PCs (none / 0) (#27)
by Anonymous Hero on Fri Mar 24, 2000 at 11:19:30 PM EST

Well, the point was that listing the most funny ones from the article would have: (a) made the rest of it not really worth reading, and (b) probably violated dixon's copyright on the article. But anyway, the story generated more comments than most, and it wasn't *that* bad! :-)

Objects Found Inside PCs | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)