Trademark for MP3?

By Fish in News
Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 08:07:45 AM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

The Register reports that some German company is trying to register mp3 as a trademark in Europe. They give the contact details and info so's you can e-mail someone who cares.

o The Register reports
o Also by Fish

Trademark for MP3? | 12 comments (12 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
the mp3 compression codec was inven... (none / 0) (#1)
by rusty on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 12:39:52 PM EST

rusty voted 1 on this story.

the mp3 compression codec was invented at Fraunhofer, which is a German company. Don't they already have right to this?

____
Not the real rusty

... (none / 0) (#9)
by marlowe on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 01:43:07 PM EST

marlowe voted 1 on this story.

--- I will insist on my right to question ---

The Register isn't always the most ... (none / 0) (#3)
by Wil Mahan on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 03:45:31 PM EST

Wil Mahan voted -1 on this story.

The Register isn't always the most reliable source of information.

This is sort of a rehash of the MP4... (4.00 / 1) (#6)
by fluffy grue on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 04:20:35 PM EST

fluffy grue voted 0 on this story.

This is sort of a rehash of the MP4 trademark issue from a while ago. MP3 is a term in common usage, and so any trademark on it would be quickly diluted. In addition, it's unenforceable due to prior use. The only reason MP4® carried any weight was because it wasn't in common usage, and MP4 isn't the proper name of the standard it's based on (it's MPEG-4), not that MP3 is any more proper (shorthand for MPEG-1 Layer 3). Of course, the term in common usage derives from the DOS-friendly filename extension.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

*Sigh* will companies NEVER learn?... (none / 0) (#4)
by Skippy on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 05:06:34 PM EST

Skippy voted 1 on this story.

*Sigh* will companies NEVER learn?

It's a given that some dolt is goin... (none / 0) (#8)
by nascent on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 05:07:09 PM EST

nascent voted 0 on this story.

It's a given that some dolt is going to try and trademark something like this. I think a Japanese company tried to market Linux Beer sometime last year, so...
nascent

Why don't you put some contact deta... (none / 0) (#7)
by Velian on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 07:12:18 PM EST

Velian voted 0 on this story.

Why don't you put some contact details here?

Re: Why don't you put some contact deta... (none / 0) (#10)
by Fish on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 12:16:20 PM EST

The reason I didn't put up contact details or quote part of the article is that basically it would just be rehashing their webpages, and there wouldn't be much point in going to read it - this applies with the Dixon's 10 wierd things stored inside computers - and on that one, there wasn't much I could really say, like, "oh, some of its funny, go and have a look". I also don't want to spend the best part of my day thinking up a witty or insightful thing to put after the end of the story: IMHO, the important part is providing people with an overview of the story plus a link to it (although obviously I have been influenced by Slashdot here).

Needs longer writeup.... (none / 0) (#2)
by Perpetual Newbie on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 08:25:21 PM EST

Perpetual Newbie voted -1 on this story.

Needs longer writeup.

Isn't it illegal to trademark somet... (none / 0) (#5)
by kraant on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 09:55:20 PM EST

kraant voted 1 on this story.

Isn't it illegal to trademark something already in common usage?
"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...

Tried to send comments, but... (none / 0) (#11)
by fluffy grue on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 06:12:19 PM EST

Well, as the Register's page said to do, I sent them comments to their email address. Here's the response I got:

Please note that your observations regarding the above CTM application cannot be accepted via e-mail. However, the observations can be sent either by fax:

Fax: +34 96 513 13 44

or by post or special delivery:

Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market Receiving Unit Avenida de Aguilera, 20 E-03080 Alicante, Spain

I had no idea that thoughts sent via email were less valid than thoughts sent by other, more expensive forms of communication. All they accomplished in shutting me out was making me not give a damn. "Not my continent."
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Tried to send comments, but... (none / 0) (#12)
by fluffy grue on Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 06:13:06 PM EST

Oops, shoulda used preview. The address is, of course:

Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market
Receiving Unit
Avenida de Aguilera, 20
E-03080 Alicante, Spain
in case anyone cares. I don't.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Trademark for MP3? | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)