Goodbye to reverse engineering ?

By Vila in News
Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 01:47:36 PM EST
Tags: Freedom (all tags)
Freedom

Upside has an interesting article on the recent onslaught against the practice of reverse engineering. Ties together DMCA, UCITA, Sony, Mattel and quotes RMS.

The point that the US based media (old and new) consistently seems to miss is that, actually folks, US law is only valid up to the US border. The rest of the world is a bit bigger, and just because Congress says you folks can't do something isn't going to stop /us/ in the RotW from doing it.

o Upside
o Also by Vila

Goodbye to reverse engineering ? | 5 comments (5 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
The RotW? WoT? [eh, bad acronym p... (none / 0) (#3)
by dgfitch on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 10:00:21 AM EST

dgfitch voted 1 on this story.

The RotW? WoT? [eh, bad acronym puns rule]

... (none / 0) (#4)
by marlowe on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 10:37:35 AM EST

marlowe voted 1 on this story.

--- I will insist on my right to question ---

Go Rest Of The World! Yay!!! ... (none / 0) (#2)
by Fish on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 10:38:57 AM EST

Fish voted 1 on this story.

Go Rest Of The World! Yay!!!

I still think it was a cheek of the judge in the etoy.com case to suggest that because one of the artists was Swiss(?), they should go and buy etoy.ch instead ... what, so only Americans and American companies can own .com?

The US usually has agreements with ... (3.00 / 1) (#1)
by hattig on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 10:40:20 AM EST

hattig voted 1 on this story.

The US usually has agreements with other countries to stop copying software etc! Even in the US you are allowed to make fair use copies for yourself.

I think that when I buy a bit of music (say on CD) then I own that music. If I want it on Minidisk I should be allowed to copy it (it is my own media and time, and I already own the music). If I was to lend the CD to someone else and listen to the minidisk, then I would be in the wrong, but this happens now anyway - copied CDs, cassettes etc (and the music industry makes more and more money every year despite all of this piracy - I think that piracy encourages purchases for a lot of people - for non-top40 music I would like to hear it before buying it, and this is about the only way I can do this!

Let 'em (4.00 / 1) (#6)
by nascent on Wed Mar 22, 2000 at 04:30:13 PM EST

If the United States thinks they have hacker problems NOW, let them pass UCITA wherever they'd like and take away the right to test the security of software. Goodbye L0pht, goodbye Security Focus. In other words, kiss all the white hat hackers goodbye. Now all we're left with is the kids with serious skills that don't have to rely on these types of sites. Nobody will know how to protect their system anymore. It will get real interesting.

I don't think this will occur, but it's going to be one damned fun free-for-all if it does.

nascent
nascent

Goodbye to reverse engineering ? | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)